Holmgren phones a friend

  • By Scott M. Johnson / Herald Writer
  • Tuesday, December 20, 2005 9:00pm
  • Sports

KIRKLAND – Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren is not concerning himself with who will or will not play for the Indianapolis Colts this Saturday. He’s more interested in who knows how to stop them.

Holmgren put in a call to Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher on Monday, presumably to discuss how to defend the Colts’ offense. Fisher’s Titans have already played Indianapolis twice this season – the two division rivals have met twice a year since the 2002 NFL re-alignment – so Seattle’s coach would be wise to tap into his experience.

But Holmgren refused to disclose the nature of his conversation with Fisher.

“We just exchanged Christmas greetings,” Holmgren said with a smirk Tuesday.

Holmgren did admit that he paid special attention to the videotape of San Diego’s upset of the Colts on Sunday.

“I was anxious to get the film and study the film and see,” he said Tuesday. “I mean, Indianapolis has been remarkable all season long; no one has really touched them. So I was curious.”

The Colts had won 13 games in a row before losing to San Diego on Sunday. Now the longest winning streak in the NFL belongs to the Seahawks, at 10 in a row.

Because Indianapolis has already wrapped up the top seed in the AFC and is no longer chasing an unbeaten season, Colts coach Tony Dungy acknowledged that his star players will get some rest this Saturday.

“Unfortunately, you don’t like to talk about it because the league doesn’t want you to talk about it that way,” Dungy said in an interview with Colts.com on Tuesday, “but we have two games to prepare for the playoffs just like at the end of preseason you had two games to prepare for the first regular-season game.

“You have a plan for how long you’re going to play guys and what you need to get accomplished. You’re trying to win every game and we are trying to win these two. We think we’re going to win. But it’s just not a situation where we’re going to play the starters every single play.”

The Seahawks, however, aren’t planning on letting up.

“Why would we?” quarterback Matt Hasselbeck asked. “We’ve got a lot to play for right now.”

A Seahawks win would wrap up homefield advantage throughout out the playoffs.

Vote for Mack: The NFL will announce its Pro Bowl today, and Holmgren expects at least four Seahawks to make it: Hasselbeck, running back Shaun Alexander and offensive linemen Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson.

Holmgren then lobbied hard for a fifth player who might be as deserving as the rest. Thirty-four-year-old fullback Mack Strong, Holmgren said, deserves to make his first trip to the Pro Bowl.

“I think you can make the case for (Strong) being the personal protector, blocker, for Shaun Alexander,” Holmgren said, referring to the Seahawks’ tailback and league-leading rusher, “and then look what Shaun has done. You could make a pretty good case that Mack is as valuable as anybody we have.”

Strong actually went to Hawaii last year, but only because Alexander paid his way as gratitude to the veteran fullback. This time, Strong wants to actually be on the field for the game.

“We’ll find out later this week,” said Strong, who was a Pro Bowl alternate last season behind Green Bay’s William Henderson. “I’d like to think that I’ll get some recognition for all I’ve given – not just to the organization but to the game. But I understand that I don’t have any control over it, and I’ll just take whatever happens.”

Holmgren also gave mention to middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu and special teamer Josh Scobey, both of whom are long shots to make the Feb. 12 Pro Bowl.

Pro Bowl voting ended last Friday. It was based on votes from fans, coaches and players.

Three Seahawks made it to last year’s Pro Bowl: Alexander, Hutchinson and Jones.

Injury update: While official injury reports are not due out until today, Holmgren said Tuesday that he expects safety John Howell to be available this week and that defensive tackle Chartric Darby (knee) suffered the most significant injury of Sunday’s win over Tennessee.

Darby hurt his knee during the second quarter Sunday and did not return.

“I don’t think it’s bad,” Holmgren said, “but it’s concerning.”

Darby said after Sunday’s game that he expects to play against the Colts.

Wide receiver Darrell Jackson (knee) and linebacker Kevin Bentley (neck) were among the players who did not practice Tuesday. Both are resting sore knees but expect to play Saturday. Linebacker D.D. Lewis practiced for the first time in more than two weeks.

No guarantees: While many are billing Saturday’s game as a potential Super Bowl matchup, history does not bode well for a Colts-Seahawks rematch.

Only twice since the playoff format was expanded in 1990 have both top seeds from the AFC and NFC advanced to the Super Bowl. The last time it happened was in 1993, when Dallas (12-4) and Buffalo (12-4) defied the odds by not defying the odds.

The Colts (13-1) have already secured the top seed in the AFC, while Seattle (12-2) needs one more win, or a Chicago loss, to secure NFC supremacy heading into the postseason.

Quick slants: Holmgren said that he expects defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes to return to the coaching booth Saturday after missing the past seven games due to health issues. “He’s been doing well,” Holmgren said. “He’s been sticking with this schedule.” … Colts right tackle Ryan Diem is expected to miss the final two weeks of the regular season after suffering a sprained knee in Sunday’s loss to the Chargers. … For the first time this season, Saturday’s game will be shown on Channel 7. By NFL broad rules, visiting AFC teams are to be shown on CBS affiliates, while visiting NFC teams are on Fox.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Everett AquaSox outfielder Jonny Farmelo runs in from the outfield during the game against the Spokane Indians on Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Now ‘fixed,’ Jonny Farmelo hopes for healthy future

The AquaSox outfielder reflects on time lost, insights gained in two injury-riddled seasons.

Dallas Cowboys defensive end Micah Parsons reacts during the final seconds of the fourth quarter against the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday, Dec. 9, 2024, at AT&T Stadium. (Amanda McCoy, Tribune News Services)
Source: Seahawks pondered a Micah Parsons trade

It would be inaccurate to say the Seahawks were not intrigued with… Continue reading

Everett AquaSox right fielder Carson Jones registered a hit and a walk against the Eugene Emeralds at Funko Field in Everett, Washington on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2025. (Photo courtesy of Evan Morud / Everett AquaSox)
AquaSox offense falls flat against Eugene

The Everett AquaSox fell 4-0 on Thursday, as Eugene Emeralds… Continue reading

Seattle Storm guard Skylar Diggins holds the basketball during a game against the Indiana Fever on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025 at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind. (Photo courtesy of Seattle Storm)
Storm claw back from down 21 to top league-best Lynx

Skylar Diggins sparked a 25-6 run to end the third quarter and led the comeback.

Seahawks OL Jalen Sundell (61) and Grey Zabel (76) line up before a snap against the Las Vegas Raiders in a preseason game on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 at Lumen Field in Seattle, Wash. (Steph Chambers / The Seattle Times / Getty Images)
Seahawks GM Schneider confident in reconfigured O-line

Plus practice squad updates and surprise waiver moves

Everett AquaSox pitcher Christian Little pitches in his High-A debut against the Eugene Emeralds on Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2025 at Funko Field in Everett, Wash. (Photo courtesy of Shari Sommerfeld / Everett AquaSox)
Little shines, AquaSox stumble late against Emeralds

AquaSox pitcher Christian Little allowed one run in five innings in his High-A debut.

Seattle Mariners center fielder Julio Rodriguez (44) hits a home run during a game between the Detroit Tigers and Seattle Mariners at Comerica Park in Detroit, Michigan, on Saturday, July 12, 2025. (Devin Anderson-Torrez / mlive.com / Tribune News Services)
Four-run fourth proves to be enough as M’s beat Padres

Bryan Woo was pulled before the sixth for the first time this season, but the Mariners made do.

Charlie Pagliarini of the Everett AquaSox bats against Eugene on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025 at Funko Field in Everett, Washington. (Photo courtesy of Evan Morud / Everett AquaSox)
Emeralds blast two home runs in ninth to beat AquaSox

Two ninth-inning home runs powered Eugene to a 5-4 comeback… Continue reading

Seattle Storm forward Nneka Ogwumike probes with the ball during a game against the Indiana Fever on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025 at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. (Photo courtesy of Seattle Storm)
Short-handed Fever blow out Storm, snap winning streak

Seattle lost the turnover and rebounding margins in a 20-point loss.

Seahawks receiver Cody White, who made Seattle's initial 53-man roster on Tuesday, runs with the ball during the 2024 season. (Photo courtesy Edwin Hooper / Seattle Seahawks)
Seahawks choose youth at receiver for initial 53-man roster

The Seahawks sent away two veteran wide receivers with a combined 15… Continue reading

Eugenio Suárez of the Seattle Mariners celebrates his three-run home run against San Diego Padres pitcher Jason Adam (40) during the fifth inning at T-Mobile Park on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025, in Seattle. (Steph Chambers / Getty Images / Tribune News Services)
Padres hold off Mariners to even series

The Padres scored a first-round knockdown. Then the Mariners had… Continue reading

Emerson Hancock of the Seattle Mariners pitches in the first inning against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on Wednesday, April 23, 2025, in Boston. (Jaiden Tripi / Getty Images / Tribune News Services)
Now a reliever, former starter Emerson Hancock returns to M’s

Emerson Hancock, a starter earlier in the season for the… Continue reading

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.