Chicago Blackhawks left winger Kyle Beach warms up before facing the Colorado Avalanche in an NHL exhibition hockey game in Denver on Friday, Oct. 3, 2008. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)

Investigation finds Fehr not at fault in Beach case

Miscommunication cited for the NHL’s lack of action when the ex-Silvertip reported a sexual assault while with the Blackhawks.

By Stephen Whyno / Associated Press

An independent investigation commissioned by the NHL Players’ Association found that executive director Don Fehr and others were not responsible for wrongdoing when they failed to act on a report that a Chicago Blackhawks player had been sexually assaulted by a staff member in 2010.

A law firm hired to look into the Fehr and the union’s actions in 2010 and 2011 concluded miscommunication and misunderstanding were behind the lack of action after Kyle Beach reported being assaulted by video coach Brad Aldrich.

Beach played for the Everett Silvertips from 2005-2009.

“Ultimately, the failure to act on Beach’s reports stems from a failure of communication,” the firm Cozen O’Connor wrote in a 20-page report released by the NHLPA on Friday. “We cannot identify any individual wrongdoing or institutional failures of policy or procedure by either Fehr, NHLPA personnel, or the (NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program) concerning the handling of Beach’s reports.”

The NHLPA executive board was shown the report last week. Players voted in favor of making it public.

The union launched the investigation in November after an independent probe into the Blackhawks’ mishandling of the allegations and an interview by Beach with Canadian network TSN raised questions about what Fehr and others knew at the time and why they did not act. Beach wasn’t technically a member because he never played in an NHL game.

“I know I reported every single detail to an individual at the NHLPA, who I was put in contact with after,” Beach said on TSN. “I believe two different people talked to Don Fehr. And for him to turn his back on the players when his one job is to protect the players at all costs, I don’t know how that can be your leader. I don’t know how he can be in charge.”

Fehr signed on as an NHLPA adviser in the summer of 2010 after Aldrich resigned rather than face a Blackhawks investigation. Fehr was named NHLPA executive director in December of that year, timing that complicated the matter because the union was in a period of transition.

The NHLPA investigation included reviews of about 20,000 emails and phone records from 2010 and 2011 and included interviews of 11 witnesses, including Dr. Brian Shaw from the Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program. Beach and an unidentified player who reported having inappropriate conversations with Aldrich both declined to be interviewed.

The firm acknowledged the difficulty of reconstructing events from 11 years ago, and said the findings were based on “understandably imperfect and incomplete recollections of a few individuals, uncorroborated by documentary evidence.”

The findings of the Blackhawks investigation rocked the team and led to sweeping changes in the front office and ripple effects across the NHL. Longtime Chicago general manager Stan Bowman and coach Joel Quenneville, who was with Florida, resigned in the aftermath after it was determined they were informed of the allegations and did not act appropriately. Aldrich told investigators the encounter was consensual.

Agent Ross Gurney told investigators he was sure he described Aldrich as a “pedophile” or “sexual predator” in a conversation with Fehr to warn him about Aldrich’s behavior after the coach was hired by USA Hockey to work at a tournament.

Fehr said he would have recalled that if it happened. He repeatedly told investigators he had no recollection of being notified of the incident when it happened. Investigators also determined Fehr’s few comments regarding about the allegations “were consistent with his claim.”

Shaw told investigators he believed his conversation with Beach was “privileged communication between a prospective patient and therapist” and that he was unable to reveal the contents without the player’s consent, which he claimed to have not received.

The firm said it provided the union’s general counsel with a series of recommendations for additional measures that could be put in place to handle similar situations better in the future. The NHLPA said its executive board voted to keep those recommendations confident for now “because they require further development by staff and evaluation by the board.”

Lawsuits filed by Beach, then known as John Doe, and a former student whom Aldrich was convicted of assaulting in Michigan brought the scandal to light last year. Beach’s lawsuit was settled. The former student’s lawsuit was dismissed by what the court docket called “stipulation or agreement” in December.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Archbishop Murphy senior Brooke Blachly utilizes a screen from junior Ashley Fletcher (10) to drive into the lane during the Wildcats' 76-18 win against the Seahawks in the District 1 2A quarterfinals at Archbishop Murphy High School on Feb. 12, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Archbishop Murphy’s Brooke Blachly reaches 2,000 points

The Wildcats senior eclipses mark in district girls basketball semifinal win Saturday.

Meadowdale’s Mia Brockmeyer drives to the hoop during the game against Shorewood on Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Meadowdale advances to district semis

Archbishop Murphy and King’s clinch State berths at districts on Saturday.

Snohomish’s Grady Rohrich yells after beating Meadowdale on Monday, Jan. 5, 2026 in Snohomish, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish boys come back, advance to district semis

Down 13 points entering the fourth quarter, the Panthers clawed back against Everett.

Shorecrest, Lake Stevens win districts

Prep boys swimming roundup for Saturday, Feb. 14: (Note for coaches/scorekeepers: To… Continue reading

Archbishop Murphy junior Kyla Fryberg pries the ball from Anacortes junior Aubrey Michael during the Wildcats' 76-18 win against the Seahawks in the District 1 2A quarterfinals at Archbishop Murphy High School on Feb. 12, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Archbishop Murphy girls smother Anacortes in district quarterfinals

The Wildcats allow just two points in second half of 76-18 win on Thursday.

Shorewood’s Maya Glasser reaches up to try and block a layup by Shorecrest’s Anna Usitalo during the 3A district playoff game on Friday, Feb. 14, 2025 in Shoreline, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Usitalo shines as Scots move on

Shorecrest’s star scores 32 as Shorecrest extends season at districts on Thursday.

Seattle Seahawks kicker Jason Myers boots one of his five field goals against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LX on Sunday, Feb. 8, 2026 at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California. (Photo courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks)
Seahawks Jason Myers felt nervous calm Super Bowl

Seattle’s long-time kicker was alarmed by his own comfort level prior to five field goals.

Everett sophomore Noah Owens drives against Lynnwood senior Jaikin Choy during the Seagulls' 57-48 win against the Royals in the District 1 3A Round of 12 at Norm Lowery Gymnasium on Feb. 11, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Everett boys basketball ends Lynnwood’s late-season push

The Seagulls advance to third straight district quarterfinals with 57-48 win on Wednesday.

Meadowdale’s Noah Million reacts after making a three point shot during the game against Snohomish on Monday, Jan. 5, 2026 in Snohomish, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Meadowdale hangs on, advances in districts

The Mavericks survive a late comeback bid to preserve their season in the opening round on Wednesday.

Seahawks head coach Mike Macdonald walks through Lumen Field with the Lombardi Trophy during a Super Bowl celebration at Lumen Field in Seattle, Washington on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2026. (Photo courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks)
Seahawks, fans celebrate title at Lumen Field

Super Bowl champions speak to a full Stadium on Wednesday before embarking for parade.

Marysville Getchell's Eyobed Angelo runs through a tunnel made up of his peers from the student section during the pregame introductions for the Chargers unified basketball game against Arlington at Marysville Getchell High School on Feb 9, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Marysville Getchell, Arlington ‘Pack the Gym’ for unified basketball

The Chargers, Eagles rally behind athletes in festive night for both programs on Monday.

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Riq Woolen (27) celebrates after New England Patriots quarterback Drake Maye was sacked during Super Bowl LX at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California on Sunday, Feb. 8, 2026. (Photo courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks)
Cornerback Riq Woolen on his Seahawks future: ‘Up to them’

Several key Seattle players became free agents after Sunday’s Super Bowl.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.