Gonzaga’s Corey Kispert (24) drives around Saint Mary’s Tommy Kuhse in the first half of their West Coast Conference tournament game March 10 in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)

Gonzaga’s Corey Kispert (24) drives around Saint Mary’s Tommy Kuhse in the first half of their West Coast Conference tournament game March 10 in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)

Kispert weighing possible jump to the NBA

The Edmonds native and former King’s High School star has a year of eligibility remaining at Gonzaga

Corey Kispert and the Gonzaga University men’s basketball team saw their quest for a national championship brought to an unexpected halt last week because of the new coronavirus.

And it’s possible the King’s High School graduate and Edmonds native has played his last collegiate game.

Kispert, a key cog in the Bulldogs’ championship-caliber squad, is not committing to returning to Gonzaga for his senior year, indicating he will perform his due diligence on whether to make himself available for the NBA draft.

“Nothing is set in stone, I’m going to keep all my options open,” Kispert said. “I’m going to work with my coaches and family to make the best decision for myself moving forward.”

Kispert, The Herald’s 2016 Boys Basketball Player of the Year, had a breakout junior campaign as he became one of the Bulldogs’ leading players. The 6-foot-7, 220-pound small forward started all 33 of Gonzaga’s games this season, finishing second on the team in scoring at 13.9 points per game and serving as the team’s leading 3-point marksman, draining 78 3-pointers at a scorching 43.8% clip. It was a big step up from his sophomore season, when he averaged 8.0 points per contest as a starter.

Kispert’s play caught the attention of national evaluators, too. He was named one of five finalists for the Julius Erving Award, which is given annually to the nation’s top small forward. The other finalists are Louisville’s Jordan Nwora, Memphis’ Precious Achiuwa, Villanova’s Saddiq Bey and Xavier’s Naji Marshall.

Gonzaga was a major beneficiary of Kispert’s improvement. The Bulldogs were expected to take a step back this season after last year’s Elite Eight team lost its top four scorers: Rui Hachimura, Brandon Clarke and Zach Norvell left early for the pros, and Josh Perkins graduated. However, the Zags went 31-2, were ranked No. 2 in the final Associated Press Top 25 poll of the season, and were considered one of the NCAA tournament favorites before the event was canceled last Thursday in an effort to slow the spread of coronavirus.

Kispert is rated by most evaluators as a second round/fringe draft prospect. He comes in at No. 45 on ESPN’s 2020 NBA draft prospect rankings, he’s ranked No. 47 by Sports Illustrated, and the Sporting News has him at No. 59. He is not listed in CBS Sports’ top 50.

So Kispert will explore his options.

“It’s still a work in progress,” he said. “I have no idea what timelines are looking like, just because of the NBA season being completely halted. So I have the luxury of taking my time, sitting back and making informed decisions.”

Kispert said he thinks missing out on playing in this year’s NCAA tournament could affect his draft stock a little.

“The tournament is a big part of any prospect’s evaluation,” he said. “You get to play against the best teams in the country on the biggest stage, and (NBA scouts) want to see how you perform. But I think anyone who knows college basketball has seen enough of any prospect they would want to take a look at.”

Kispert also said the uncertainty surrounding the status of the NBA season and the NBA draft — the draft is scheduled for June 25 and the deadline for early entry is April 26, but those dates could be subject to change as the NBA considers the best interests of public health — could play a part in his decision.

“We don’t even know when workouts will be, when the combine will be, or even if there will be a draft,” Kispert said. “None of it is set in stone. The date is still there, but that could easily be moved. Everything is fluid, so you have to be flexible.”

While Kispert doesn’t know what his future holds, he’s disappointed he and the Bulldogs didn’t get their chance in the present. The NCAA tournament would have started Thursday, and Gonzaga likely would have been a No. 1 seed, but that opportunity was taken away.

“As everything was happening you could see it coming,” Kispert said. “We were upset about it, we wanted to play, we wanted to do everything in our power to keep the tournament and season going. But the more you read about it, especially coming from where I come from, this is really serious business. As coach (Mark) Few said, ‘If you save at least one life by canceling the tournament, it was all worth it.’

“When you look at it like that, it’s a pretty easy choice.”

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Everett AquaSox outfielder Jonny Farmelo runs in from the outfield during the game against the Spokane Indians on Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Now ‘fixed,’ Jonny Farmelo hopes for healthy future

The AquaSox outfielder reflects on time lost, insights gained in two injury-riddled seasons.

Dallas Cowboys defensive end Micah Parsons reacts during the final seconds of the fourth quarter against the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday, Dec. 9, 2024, at AT&T Stadium. (Amanda McCoy, Tribune News Services)
Source: Seahawks pondered a Micah Parsons trade

It would be inaccurate to say the Seahawks were not intrigued with… Continue reading

Everett AquaSox right fielder Carson Jones registered a hit and a walk against the Eugene Emeralds at Funko Field in Everett, Washington on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2025. (Photo courtesy of Evan Morud / Everett AquaSox)
AquaSox offense falls flat against Eugene

The Everett AquaSox fell 4-0 on Thursday, as Eugene Emeralds… Continue reading

Seattle Storm guard Skylar Diggins holds the basketball during a game against the Indiana Fever on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025 at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind. (Photo courtesy of Seattle Storm)
Storm claw back from down 21 to top league-best Lynx

Skylar Diggins sparked a 25-6 run to end the third quarter and led the comeback.

Seahawks OL Jalen Sundell (61) and Grey Zabel (76) line up before a snap against the Las Vegas Raiders in a preseason game on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 at Lumen Field in Seattle, Wash. (Steph Chambers / The Seattle Times / Getty Images)
Seahawks GM Schneider confident in reconfigured O-line

Plus practice squad updates and surprise waiver moves

Everett AquaSox pitcher Christian Little pitches in his High-A debut against the Eugene Emeralds on Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2025 at Funko Field in Everett, Wash. (Photo courtesy of Shari Sommerfeld / Everett AquaSox)
Little shines, AquaSox stumble late against Emeralds

AquaSox pitcher Christian Little allowed one run in five innings in his High-A debut.

Seattle Mariners center fielder Julio Rodriguez (44) hits a home run during a game between the Detroit Tigers and Seattle Mariners at Comerica Park in Detroit, Michigan, on Saturday, July 12, 2025. (Devin Anderson-Torrez / mlive.com / Tribune News Services)
Four-run fourth proves to be enough as M’s beat Padres

Bryan Woo was pulled before the sixth for the first time this season, but the Mariners made do.

Charlie Pagliarini of the Everett AquaSox bats against Eugene on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025 at Funko Field in Everett, Washington. (Photo courtesy of Evan Morud / Everett AquaSox)
Emeralds blast two home runs in ninth to beat AquaSox

Two ninth-inning home runs powered Eugene to a 5-4 comeback… Continue reading

Seattle Storm forward Nneka Ogwumike probes with the ball during a game against the Indiana Fever on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025 at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. (Photo courtesy of Seattle Storm)
Short-handed Fever blow out Storm, snap winning streak

Seattle lost the turnover and rebounding margins in a 20-point loss.

Seahawks receiver Cody White, who made Seattle's initial 53-man roster on Tuesday, runs with the ball during the 2024 season. (Photo courtesy Edwin Hooper / Seattle Seahawks)
Seahawks choose youth at receiver for initial 53-man roster

The Seahawks sent away two veteran wide receivers with a combined 15… Continue reading

Eugenio Suárez of the Seattle Mariners celebrates his three-run home run against San Diego Padres pitcher Jason Adam (40) during the fifth inning at T-Mobile Park on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025, in Seattle. (Steph Chambers / Getty Images / Tribune News Services)
Padres hold off Mariners to even series

The Padres scored a first-round knockdown. Then the Mariners had… Continue reading

Emerson Hancock of the Seattle Mariners pitches in the first inning against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on Wednesday, April 23, 2025, in Boston. (Jaiden Tripi / Getty Images / Tribune News Services)
Now a reliever, former starter Emerson Hancock returns to M’s

Emerson Hancock, a starter earlier in the season for the… Continue reading

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.