Mayor Bloomberg says NYC Marathon canceled

  • Associated Press
  • Friday, November 2, 2012 2:52pm
  • Sports

NEW YORK — The New York City Marathon was canceled Friday by Mayor Michael Bloomberg after mounting criticism that this was not the time for a race while the region is still recovering from Superstorm Sandy.

With people in storm-ravaged areas still shivering without electricity and the death toll in New York City at more than 40, many New Yorkers recoiled at the prospect of police officers being assigned to protect a marathon on Sunday.

An estimated 40,000 runners from around the world had been expected to take part in the 26.2-mile event. The race had been scheduled to start in Staten Island, one of the hardest-hit areas by this week’s storm.

“We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it,” the mayor said in a statement. “We cannot allow a controversy over an athletic event — even one as meaningful as this — to distract attention away from all the critically important work that is being done to recover from the storm and get our city back on track.”

Bloomberg called the marathon an “integral part of New York City’s life for 40 years” and “an event tens of thousands of New Yorkers participate in and millions more watch.”

He still insisted that holding the race would not require diverting resources from the recovery effort, but understood the level of friction.

“It is clear it that it has become the source of controversy and division,” Bloomberg said. “The marathon has always brought our city together and inspired us with stories of courage and determination.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Archbishop Murphy senior Brooke Blachly utilizes a screen from junior Ashley Fletcher (10) to drive into the lane during the Wildcats' 76-18 win against the Seahawks in the District 1 2A quarterfinals at Archbishop Murphy High School on Feb. 12, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Archbishop Murphy’s Brooke Blachly reaches 2,000 points

The Wildcats senior eclipses mark in district girls basketball semifinal win Saturday.

Meadowdale’s Mia Brockmeyer drives to the hoop during the game against Shorewood on Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Meadowdale advances to district semis

Archbishop Murphy and King’s clinch State berths at districts on Saturday.

Snohomish’s Grady Rohrich yells after beating Meadowdale on Monday, Jan. 5, 2026 in Snohomish, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish boys come back, advance to district semis

Down 13 points entering the fourth quarter, the Panthers clawed back against Everett.

Shorecrest, Lake Stevens win districts

Prep boys swimming roundup for Saturday, Feb. 14: (Note for coaches/scorekeepers: To… Continue reading

Archbishop Murphy junior Kyla Fryberg pries the ball from Anacortes junior Aubrey Michael during the Wildcats' 76-18 win against the Seahawks in the District 1 2A quarterfinals at Archbishop Murphy High School on Feb. 12, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Archbishop Murphy girls smother Anacortes in district quarterfinals

The Wildcats allow just two points in second half of 76-18 win on Thursday.

Shorewood’s Maya Glasser reaches up to try and block a layup by Shorecrest’s Anna Usitalo during the 3A district playoff game on Friday, Feb. 14, 2025 in Shoreline, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Usitalo shines as Scots move on

Shorecrest’s star scores 32 as Shorecrest extends season at districts on Thursday.

Seattle Seahawks kicker Jason Myers boots one of his five field goals against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LX on Sunday, Feb. 8, 2026 at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California. (Photo courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks)
Seahawks Jason Myers felt nervous calm Super Bowl

Seattle’s long-time kicker was alarmed by his own comfort level prior to five field goals.

Everett sophomore Noah Owens drives against Lynnwood senior Jaikin Choy during the Seagulls' 57-48 win against the Royals in the District 1 3A Round of 12 at Norm Lowery Gymnasium on Feb. 11, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Everett boys basketball ends Lynnwood’s late-season push

The Seagulls advance to third straight district quarterfinals with 57-48 win on Wednesday.

Meadowdale’s Noah Million reacts after making a three point shot during the game against Snohomish on Monday, Jan. 5, 2026 in Snohomish, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Meadowdale hangs on, advances in districts

The Mavericks survive a late comeback bid to preserve their season in the opening round on Wednesday.

Seahawks head coach Mike Macdonald walks through Lumen Field with the Lombardi Trophy during a Super Bowl celebration at Lumen Field in Seattle, Washington on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2026. (Photo courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks)
Seahawks, fans celebrate title at Lumen Field

Super Bowl champions speak to a full Stadium on Wednesday before embarking for parade.

Marysville Getchell's Eyobed Angelo runs through a tunnel made up of his peers from the student section during the pregame introductions for the Chargers unified basketball game against Arlington at Marysville Getchell High School on Feb 9, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Marysville Getchell, Arlington ‘Pack the Gym’ for unified basketball

The Chargers, Eagles rally behind athletes in festive night for both programs on Monday.

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Riq Woolen (27) celebrates after New England Patriots quarterback Drake Maye was sacked during Super Bowl LX at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California on Sunday, Feb. 8, 2026. (Photo courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks)
Cornerback Riq Woolen on his Seahawks future: ‘Up to them’

Several key Seattle players became free agents after Sunday’s Super Bowl.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.