NCAA places Indiana on probation over Sampson’s calls

  • Associated Press
  • Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:57pm
  • SportsSports

INDIANAPOLIS — The NCAA placed Indiana University on three years’ probation Tuesday for a telephone recruiting scandal that decimated the once-storied basketball program.

The governing body also imposed stiff penalties on an assistant and former coach Kelvin Sampson, who made more than 100 impermissible phone calls to recruits made while still on probation for a similar phone-call scandal at Oklahoma.

The penalties cap a 20-month saga that began with Sampson’s hiring in March 2006.

“It’s bittersweet,” said current Indiana coach Tom Crean, with the team in Hawaii. “We didn’t want to lose postseason, scholarships or television. Thank God we didn’t lose any of those so we can continue to move the program without the what-ifs.”

The NCAA faulted the university for inadequate monitoring when Sampson was hired but acknowledged the former coach’s conduct was “unprecedented.”

Sampson, an assistant with the Milwaukee Bucks, repeatedly has denied the violations and did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“He ignored signed compliance agreements with the institution in which he agreed to comply with the penalties imposed on him and his program due to his commission of violations in the Oklahoma case,” the NCAA report said. “He ignored telephone penalties imposed on him in that case and committed the same type violations for which he had already been penalized during the same time that those penalties were in effect.”

The NCAA imposed restrictions on Sampson through November 2013 should he return to college coaching. Former assistant Rob Senderoff, now an assistant at Kent State, also faces three years of NCAA sanctions.

The probation comes in addition to sanctions IU already has imposed.

Only two players from last season’s team remain. The others were kicked off, transferred, graduated or left early for the NBA. The team has just nine scholarship players on the team instead of the 13 allowed after giving up scholarships because of the NCAA investigation and poor academic scores.

No Indiana sports program had been found guilty of a major NCAA violation since 1960.

Even though Indiana intended to closely monitor Sampson and his assistants, the university fell short, the report said. The school did not have a good system in place when Sampson was hired and had to develop one “on the fly,” and compliance officials did not follow on phone record requests in a timely manner and focused too much on collaboration with the men’s basketball program and not enough on adhering to requirements, the NCAA said.

Indiana officials discovered the violations during an investigation that began in July 2007. It reported the calls to the NCAA but characterized them as secondary violations.

The NCAA disagreed. In February, it charged the university with committing major infractions and accused Sampson of providing false and misleading information to investigators — an allegation Sampson continues to deny. It added the failure to monitor charge in June after Indiana officials testified at a hearing on the initial charges.

Indiana contended it did everything possible to prevent the violations and argued that its self-imposed penalties should be sufficient. Those include stripping scholarships and strict limits on recruiting for Crean, who came from Marquette to take over the Hoosiers program after the university bought out Sampson’s contract for $750,000 in February.

None of Sampson’s assistants was retained, and athletic director Rick Greenspan announced his resignation the same day the failure to monitor charge was filed. He will leave at the end of December and be replaced by Indianapolis attorney Fred Glass.

When Glass was hired last month, he said that removing the stain of basketball scandal was a priority.

“Our place is one that has always followed the rules,” Glass said. “I think we can have that again.”

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Glacier Peak junior Edison Kan positions himself in front of Lake Washington senior Hunter Phipps during the Grizzlies 60-59 loss to the Kangaroos in the District 1/2 4A semifinals at Glacier Peak High School on Feb. 19, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Glacier Peak boys basketball stunned in district semis

The previously undefeated Grizzlies fall to Lake Washington in 60-59 loss at buzzer on Thursday.

Lake Stevens girls basketball's Noelani Tupua shoots over Glacier Peak's Layla King during a district playoff game on Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026 at Woodinville H.S. in Woodinville. (Qasim Ali / The Herald)
Lake Stevens girls basketball overcomes GP to stay alive

The Grizzlies forced nearly 30 turnovers, but Lake Stevens clamped down in a Thursday loser-out win.

Tulalip Heritage boys advance to tri-district title game

Lake Stevens boys, Granite Falls girls among teams eliminated Thursday.

Vote for The Herald’s Prep Athlete of the Week for Feb. 8-14

The Athlete of the Week nominees for Feb. 8-14. Voting closes at… Continue reading

Snohomish senior Siena Capelli charges up the court during the Panthers' 47-36 win against Meadowdale in the District 1 3A semifinals at Snohomish High School on Feb. 18, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Snohomish girls get redemption in district semis

The Panthers defeat Meadowdale 47-36 on Wednesday after missing state last season.

Edmonds-Woodway senior Janie Hanson (1 in white) tries to position herself in front of Stanwood sophomore Addy Schuh in the Warriors' 55-47 win against the Spartans in the District 1 3A semifinals at Snohomish High School on Feb. 18, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Edmonds-Woodway girls mount comeback vs. Stanwood in district semis

The Warriors clinch first state berth since 2019 in 55-47 win against defending champs on Wednesday.

Seattle Seahawks players celebrate following their Super Bowl LX victory over the New England Patriots at Levi Stadium. (Kindell Buchanan/PA Wire/dpa/TNS)
New era incoming: Super Bowl-champion Seahawks officially for sale

Once finalized, the new ownership will impact both the business and football operations.

Anna Usitalo’s 37 leads Shorecrest girls past Ferndale

Lakewood boys move one step closer to state Wednesday with win over Burlington-Edison.

Shorewood senior Nathan Abraha blocks Edmonds-Woodway senior Dre Simonsen's attempt under the rim during the Stormrays' 42-40 win against the Warriors in the District 1 3A semifinals at Edmonds-Woodway High School on Feb. 17, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Shorewood boys upset top-seeded Edmonds-Woodway in district semis

The Stormrays earn second straight state berth with 42-40 win on Tuesday.

Snohomish junior Grady Rohrich lunges towards the rim to put up a layup during the Panthers' 57-54 win against Monroe in the District 1 3A semifinals at Edmonds-Woodway High School on Feb. 17, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Snohomish boys squeak past Monroe in district semis

The Panthers punch first ticket to state tournament since 2012 with 57-54 win on Tuesday.

Everett boys stay alive in districts

Tulalip Heritage boys book another trip to state on Tuesday.

Seahawks begin sale process

Less than two weeks after winning the Super Bowl, Seattle’s NFL franchise is for sale.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.