Quarterback Brandon Silvers and the rest of the XFL’s Seattle Dragons make their home debut Saturday at CenturyLink Field. (AP Photo/Will Newton)

Quarterback Brandon Silvers and the rest of the XFL’s Seattle Dragons make their home debut Saturday at CenturyLink Field. (AP Photo/Will Newton)

POLL RESULTS: Genuine interest in the XFL’s Seattle Dragons

Nearly half of the responders gave their interest level in the Dragons a ‘thumbs up.’

Maybe this Dragons thing has a shot after all.

The Seattle Dragons, part of the latest attempt at starting a second professional football league, take to the field in front of their home fans for the first time Saturday afternoon when they host the Tampa Bay Vipers at CenturyLink Field.

The Dragons are one of eight teams in the new XFL, which began play last weekend. And, with Seattle coming home for the first time, this week’s Seattle Sidelines poll asked readers about their interest level in the Dragons. Here’s what you had to say:


Add the two up and is seems there’s real interest in the Dragons, as 48% of the responders rated their interest in the team a thumbs up. Of the remaining 52 percent, the vast majority (38%) gave it a thumbs neutral, taking more of a wait-and-see approach, while just 14% gave the Dragons the thumbs down, saying the football market is saturated enough as it is.

So if you’re the Dragons, I would imagine you’re pleased with these results. In addition, I was wondering about what kind of participation level there would be in this poll, as a low turnout could be an indicator regardless of the percentages. But there was a standard number of votes.

Now, attempts at starting a second outdoor pro teams in recent years have been spectacular failures. The first time pro wrestling executive Vince McMahon launched the XFL in 2001 it lasted just once season. The AAF, which was was launched last year, shut down operations before its first season concluded. So history is not in the XFL’s favor.

That said, it seems like last weekend’s inaugural games went as well as could have been hoped. There was a solid turnout of 17,163 for Seattle’s first-ever game, a 31-19 road loss to the DC Defenders last Saturday, and the television broadcast on FOX averaged 3.3 million viewers. The league as a whole averaged 17,454 fans for the four games of its opening weekend.

That’s great in Washington D.C.’s Audi Field, which was built for MLS and has a capacity of 20,000. But what would a crowd like that look like at CenturyLink Field, which has a capacity of 69,000? Maybe the fact that the Dragons opened up additional seating sections for season ticket sales earlier this week is a good sign for the team.

Anyway, we’ll get a better indication at the Dragon’s inaugural home game Saturday. And check back in several weeks down the line. The AAF reported solid numbers in its first weekend, and we saw how long that lasted.

More in Sports

State wrestling preview: 5 local athletes out for redemption

Returning state runner-ups, such as MP’s Cayden White, are using last year’s defeats as motivation.

Shorecrest boys top Stanwood to clinch state berth

The Scots win 68-58 for their 10th straight victory and a spot in the 3A regionals.

In 1989, a local prep wrestler accomplished the unthinkable

Cascade’s Chris Borsheim won only one tournament in his wrestling career — a state title at Mat Classic I.

Glacier Peak girls clinch 9th state berth in 10 seasons

The Grizzlies pull away late to beat Inglemoor 63-45 in a Wes-King Bi-District Tournament semifinal.

List of local athletes competing at Mat Classic XXXI

The state wrestling tournament begins this Friday at the Tacoma Dome.

Prep postseason results for Wednesday, Feb. 19

POSTSEASON PREP BASKETBALL RESULTS FOR TUESDAY, FEB. 18, AND UPCOMING MATCHUPS: BOYS… Continue reading

Lakewood boys hoops earns 1st-ever state regional berth

The Cougars were clutch from the free-throw line in a 58-47 win over Burlington-Edison.

Silvertips win third straight by pasting Moose Jaw Warriors

Dustin Wolf earns a shutout in Everett’s 6-0 victory.

MP boys beat E-W, clinch state berth with banked-in 3-pointer

Luke Dobler’s go-ahead 3 lifted the Tomahawks to a 59-56 district semifinal win over Edmonds-Woodway.

Most Read