Renault not disputing race-fixing, fires team head

  • By Rob Harris Associated Press
  • Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:00am
  • SportsSports

LONDON — Renault split with team principal Flavio Briatore on Wednesday and said it would not contest a charge that Nelson Piquet Jr. was ordered to crash during a Formula One race.

Renault, however, still must attend a World Motor Sport Council hearing on Monday in Paris to discover its punishment for the crash that helped Fernando Alonso win last year’s Singapore Grand Prix.

Renault could be thrown out of F1, but the dual departure of Briatore and engineering executive director Pat Symonds appears to be a move aimed at reducing the penalty.

“The ING Renault F1 team will not dispute the recent allegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix,” the team said in a statement. “It also wishes to state that its managing director, Flavio Briatore, and its executive director of engineering, Pat Symonds, have left the team.”

Piquet Jr., who was fired by Renault last month after 1½ seasons with the team, crashed on the 13th lap of last year’s race. Alonso secured an unlikely victory as other cars came in to refuel while the Spanish driver had enough fuel to move ahead of the field.

Governing body FIA began investigating last month, and offered Piquet Jr. immunity against prosecution in return for his testimony. Data showed Piquet Jr. accelerating into the crash, rather than braking.

Last week, Briatore denied any wrongdoing and started legal proceedings in France against Piquet Jr. and his father, three-time world champion Nelson Piquet, for making false allegations and attempted blackmail.

Briatore, a 58-year-old Italian, started out at the Benetton F1 team in 1988, overseeing Michael Schumacher’s world title triumphs in 1994 and 1995 as team principal. He left Benetton in 1997 but helped Renault buy the team in 2000 and he was appointed managing director.

In 2005 and ‘06, Briatore helped the French manufacturer and Alonso become world champions.

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone, a co-owner of English soccer club Queens Park Rangers with Briatore, said he felt sorry for the Italian.

“Obviously, I’m surprised at what has happened, and I’m taken by surprise today that they’ve decided to walk away,” Ecclestone said. “I’ve no idea what will happen. We’ll have to wait and see.”

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Everett AquaSox outfielder Jonny Farmelo runs in from the outfield during the game against the Spokane Indians on Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Now ‘fixed,’ Jonny Farmelo hopes for healthy future

The AquaSox outfielder reflects on time lost, insights gained in two injury-riddled seasons.

Dallas Cowboys defensive end Micah Parsons reacts during the final seconds of the fourth quarter against the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday, Dec. 9, 2024, at AT&T Stadium. (Amanda McCoy, Tribune News Services)
Source: Seahawks pondered a Micah Parsons trade

It would be inaccurate to say the Seahawks were not intrigued with… Continue reading

Everett AquaSox right fielder Carson Jones registered a hit and a walk against the Eugene Emeralds at Funko Field in Everett, Washington on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2025. (Photo courtesy of Evan Morud / Everett AquaSox)
AquaSox offense falls flat against Eugene

The Everett AquaSox fell 4-0 on Thursday, as Eugene Emeralds… Continue reading

Seattle Storm guard Skylar Diggins holds the basketball during a game against the Indiana Fever on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025 at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind. (Photo courtesy of Seattle Storm)
Storm claw back from down 21 to top league-best Lynx

Skylar Diggins sparked a 25-6 run to end the third quarter and led the comeback.

Seahawks OL Jalen Sundell (61) and Grey Zabel (76) line up before a snap against the Las Vegas Raiders in a preseason game on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 at Lumen Field in Seattle, Wash. (Steph Chambers / The Seattle Times / Getty Images)
Seahawks GM Schneider confident in reconfigured O-line

Plus practice squad updates and surprise waiver moves

Everett AquaSox pitcher Christian Little pitches in his High-A debut against the Eugene Emeralds on Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2025 at Funko Field in Everett, Wash. (Photo courtesy of Shari Sommerfeld / Everett AquaSox)
Little shines, AquaSox stumble late against Emeralds

AquaSox pitcher Christian Little allowed one run in five innings in his High-A debut.

Seattle Mariners center fielder Julio Rodriguez (44) hits a home run during a game between the Detroit Tigers and Seattle Mariners at Comerica Park in Detroit, Michigan, on Saturday, July 12, 2025. (Devin Anderson-Torrez / mlive.com / Tribune News Services)
Four-run fourth proves to be enough as M’s beat Padres

Bryan Woo was pulled before the sixth for the first time this season, but the Mariners made do.

Charlie Pagliarini of the Everett AquaSox bats against Eugene on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025 at Funko Field in Everett, Washington. (Photo courtesy of Evan Morud / Everett AquaSox)
Emeralds blast two home runs in ninth to beat AquaSox

Two ninth-inning home runs powered Eugene to a 5-4 comeback… Continue reading

Seattle Storm forward Nneka Ogwumike probes with the ball during a game against the Indiana Fever on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025 at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. (Photo courtesy of Seattle Storm)
Short-handed Fever blow out Storm, snap winning streak

Seattle lost the turnover and rebounding margins in a 20-point loss.

Seahawks receiver Cody White, who made Seattle's initial 53-man roster on Tuesday, runs with the ball during the 2024 season. (Photo courtesy Edwin Hooper / Seattle Seahawks)
Seahawks choose youth at receiver for initial 53-man roster

The Seahawks sent away two veteran wide receivers with a combined 15… Continue reading

Eugenio Suárez of the Seattle Mariners celebrates his three-run home run against San Diego Padres pitcher Jason Adam (40) during the fifth inning at T-Mobile Park on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025, in Seattle. (Steph Chambers / Getty Images / Tribune News Services)
Padres hold off Mariners to even series

The Padres scored a first-round knockdown. Then the Mariners had… Continue reading

Emerson Hancock of the Seattle Mariners pitches in the first inning against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on Wednesday, April 23, 2025, in Boston. (Jaiden Tripi / Getty Images / Tribune News Services)
Now a reliever, former starter Emerson Hancock returns to M’s

Emerson Hancock, a starter earlier in the season for the… Continue reading

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.