Seahawks’ Carroll: McDowell suffered ‘multiple, serious’ injuries

Seahawks’ Carroll: McDowell suffered ‘multiple, serious’ injuries

RENTON — Malik McDowell has “multiple, serious” injuries, including to the head, from an ATV accident last month, and the Seahawks’ top rookie draft choice will remain out at least into the regular season.

All that The News Tribune has learned, been told and heard from league sources is, as of right now, it is not likely McDowell will play for Seattle in 2017.

One month before Seattle’s season opener at Green Bay, the only physical activity doctors are allowing McDowell to do is walk. His prospects on returning to the field are so far down the road the Seahawks allowed him to fly back home to Michigan this week, after he had spent the past week in Seattle getting examined by team doctors. He will remain in Michigan while the Seahawks go through their second week of training camp and prepare for their first preseason game this weekend without him.

An obviously solemn, disappointed Pete Carroll sighed and slumped his shoulders. Then he gave the most known details yet about the athletic defensive tackle’s accident in his home state of Michigan and his injuries.

“You know, he had a serious accident,” Carroll said following Monday’s mock game, the eighth day out of eight in this training camp McDowell has missed. “He had multiple injuries; he had an injury to his head. It’s going to be quite a while. You know, we have to wait it out. So, he’s on NFI (the league’s non-football-injury list). And he’s going to be there for a while. And we’re just going to have to see how he progresses, really down the road.

“We are not looking for him to get back in the immediate, not even for the first game of the season, that kind of stuff. We are going to wait it out and see how it is.”

Carroll did say that at this time the Seahawks do not believe the injuries are threatening the former Michigan State star’s career.

“I don’t think so. I don’t think so,” Carroll said.

“We have to wait. He just turned 21. We’ve just got to wait a while. He’s a real young kid. So he’s got plenty of time to get well. But we have to make sure.”

The Seahawks have been vague about the exact nature of McDowell’s injuries and his prognosis for the future at the wishes of the player’s family. McDowell turned 21 on June 20. That was less than a month after he signed a four-year contract with Seattle worth $6.96 million, with a $3.2 million signing bonus.

“I think, for the family, we’ve been told … they’ve asked us, you know … so we are (cognizant how to) express all that took place, and all that,” Carroll said. “We will honor that.”

Asked if there was a chance McDowell plays this year, Carroll said: “I don’t know that. … We’ve just got to wait it out. He can’t do anything as far as physical workouts. Walking, that’s what he’s been doing. He feels fine. It’s very frustrating for him, because he feels fine. But he’s just got to make it through the recovery.”

When asked if he could elaborate on McDowell’s head injury, the coach said: “Well, certainly there is a concussion involved.” But he stopped short on providing more details.

Asked if McDowell had a head or skull fracture, Carroll said: “No.”

A few minutes later, the coach went on Seattle’s KJR-AM radio next to the practice field. When asked again about McDowell playing in 2017 Carroll said: “I think it sounds like it’s a lot to ask right now.

“It’s a serious injury.”

Clark’s ban ending

Frank Clark stood on the sidelines and watched practice for the fourth consecutive day on Monday. Carroll said he’s used “coach’s discretion,” his euphemism for banning Clark from practicing and almost assuredly fining him.

Clark dropped his teammate Germain Ifedi, the Seahawks’ 6-foot-5, 325-pound starting right tackle, to the grass face-first with one punch Thursday during a fight in a pass-rush drill.

Ifedi was back practicing on a limited basis, just position drills, for the first time since the punch.

“Frank should be back (Wednesday). He missed a couple days here; coach’s discretion,” Carroll said. “Other than that, he has a knee thing that he is working on.”

Clark had been wearing a brace on his left knee while on the field watching practices from the sideline Friday through Sunday. The brace was gone Monday.

Carroll said Clark’s knee issue “is something that’s been bothering him for a little bit. It’s very slight. We know what’s going on.”

The then coach made clear his absences from practices had to do with Carroll’s suspension from them, not the knee.

“That wasn’t really the issue with what is going on,” Carroll said.

“Coach’s decision.”

Ifedi watched rookie second-round draft choice Ethan Pocic start at right tackle in the mock game the team had for the majority of Monday’s practice.

Carroll did not specify what injury Ifedi had that kept him out until Monday.

“He was banged a little bit. He’s OK,” the coach said of his first-round pick in 2016 getting decked by the team’s top choice in 2015.

“He’ll be ready to go on Wednesday.”

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Glacier Peak junior Edison Kan positions himself in front of Lake Washington senior Hunter Phipps during the Grizzlies 60-59 loss to the Kangaroos in the District 1/2 4A semifinals at Glacier Peak High School on Feb. 19, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Glacier Peak boys basketball stunned in district semis

The previously undefeated Grizzlies fall to Lake Washington in 60-59 loss at buzzer on Thursday.

Lake Stevens girls basketball's Noelani Tupua shoots over Glacier Peak's Layla King during a district playoff game on Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026 at Woodinville H.S. in Woodinville. (Qasim Ali / The Herald)
Lake Stevens girls basketball overcomes GP to stay alive

The Grizzlies forced nearly 30 turnovers, but Lake Stevens clamped down in a Thursday loser-out win.

Tulalip Heritage boys advance to tri-district title game

Lake Stevens boys, Granite Falls girls among teams eliminated Thursday.

Vote for The Herald’s Prep Athlete of the Week for Feb. 8-14

The Athlete of the Week nominees for Feb. 8-14. Voting closes at… Continue reading

Snohomish senior Siena Capelli charges up the court during the Panthers' 47-36 win against Meadowdale in the District 1 3A semifinals at Snohomish High School on Feb. 18, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Snohomish girls get redemption in district semis

The Panthers defeat Meadowdale 47-36 on Wednesday after missing state last season.

Edmonds-Woodway senior Janie Hanson (1 in white) tries to position herself in front of Stanwood sophomore Addy Schuh in the Warriors' 55-47 win against the Spartans in the District 1 3A semifinals at Snohomish High School on Feb. 18, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Edmonds-Woodway girls mount comeback vs. Stanwood in district semis

The Warriors clinch first state berth since 2019 in 55-47 win against defending champs on Wednesday.

Seattle Seahawks players celebrate following their Super Bowl LX victory over the New England Patriots at Levi Stadium. (Kindell Buchanan/PA Wire/dpa/TNS)
New era incoming: Super Bowl-champion Seahawks officially for sale

Once finalized, the new ownership will impact both the business and football operations.

Anna Usitalo’s 37 leads Shorecrest girls past Ferndale

Lakewood boys move one step closer to state Wednesday with win over Burlington-Edison.

Shorewood senior Nathan Abraha blocks Edmonds-Woodway senior Dre Simonsen's attempt under the rim during the Stormrays' 42-40 win against the Warriors in the District 1 3A semifinals at Edmonds-Woodway High School on Feb. 17, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Shorewood boys upset top-seeded Edmonds-Woodway in district semis

The Stormrays earn second straight state berth with 42-40 win on Tuesday.

Snohomish junior Grady Rohrich lunges towards the rim to put up a layup during the Panthers' 57-54 win against Monroe in the District 1 3A semifinals at Edmonds-Woodway High School on Feb. 17, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Snohomish boys squeak past Monroe in district semis

The Panthers punch first ticket to state tournament since 2012 with 57-54 win on Tuesday.

Everett boys stay alive in districts

Tulalip Heritage boys book another trip to state on Tuesday.

Seahawks begin sale process

Less than two weeks after winning the Super Bowl, Seattle’s NFL franchise is for sale.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.