Seahawks’ Tobeck announces retirement

  • By Scott M. Johnson / Herald Writer
  • Sunday, January 14, 2007 9:00pm
  • Sports

CHICAGO – As is the case almost every year at this time, the Seattle Seahawks enter another offseason with plenty of question marks.

Veteran offensive lineman Robbie Tobeck answered one of them Sunday by officially announcing his retirement.

Tobeck, 36, played 13 NFL seasons, including seven with the Seahawks. The undrafted free agent from Washington State University played in only eight games before a hip infection effectively ended what would become his final season.

“I used to think I’d be able to spend one last season as a backup, but (the inactivity) is mind-numbing,” Tobeck said. “I don’t know if I have a short attention span or what, but what makes it fun is the weekly challenges.”

Tobeck already has his future in order, as he’ll begin working at an insurance brokerage in Bellevue next month.

While he won’t play another NFL game, Tobeck is proud of what he’s accomplished.

“I was undrafted and I wasn’t supposed to make it this far,” Tobeck said. “You always think, ‘I could have done this, or made more money, or this or that.’ But when I look back, I had the opportunity to play in two Super Bowls (with Atlanta and Seattle) and a Pro Bowl.

“I guess the biggest reward for me is the teammates I’ve had and the stories I’ve got.”

Tobeck, who has been one of the most popular teammates in the Seattle locker room, will be missed.

“It’s going to be hard,” offensive lineman Walter Jones said. “But that’s a part of this league; things change each year. The guys that will be here, Chris (Spencer) and Rob (Sims), those guys learned a lot. They’re ready to take over and do some special things for the Seahawks.”

Another veteran, fullback Mack Strong, gave indefinite answers when asked about his future after Sunday’s loss. The 35-year-old player came out of that game twice because of neck stingers, but he’s been one of the more durable players in the league during a 14-year career.

Asked Sunday about his decision about whether to play another season, Strong said, “Those things are still a few months away.”

Veteran lineman Chris Gray, who will turn 37 in June, and free agents like Jerramy Stevens, Josh Brown and Ken Hamlin also have uncertain futures with the team.

Maybe that’s why Sunday’s loss left many of the players feeling a sense of shock.

“It’s so sudden,” Stevens said. “The season is over now. It takes you aback to think that you won’t be with the same group of guys next year.

“As much as everybody wants the team to stay the same, that’s not the nature of our business.”

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Glacier Peak junior Edison Kan positions himself in front of Lake Washington senior Hunter Phipps during the Grizzlies 60-59 loss to the Kangaroos in the District 1/2 4A semifinals at Glacier Peak High School on Feb. 19, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Glacier Peak boys basketball stunned in district semis

The previously undefeated Grizzlies fall to Lake Washington in 60-59 loss at buzzer on Thursday.

Lake Stevens girls basketball's Noelani Tupua shoots over Glacier Peak's Layla King during a district playoff game on Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026 at Woodinville H.S. in Woodinville. (Qasim Ali / The Herald)
Lake Stevens girls basketball overcomes GP to stay alive

The Grizzlies forced nearly 30 turnovers, but Lake Stevens clamped down in a Thursday loser-out win.

Tulalip Heritage boys advance to tri-district title game

Lake Stevens boys, Granite Falls girls among teams eliminated Thursday.

Vote for The Herald’s Prep Athlete of the Week for Feb. 8-14

The Athlete of the Week nominees for Feb. 8-14. Voting closes at… Continue reading

Snohomish senior Siena Capelli charges up the court during the Panthers' 47-36 win against Meadowdale in the District 1 3A semifinals at Snohomish High School on Feb. 18, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Snohomish girls get redemption in district semis

The Panthers defeat Meadowdale 47-36 on Wednesday after missing state last season.

Edmonds-Woodway senior Janie Hanson (1 in white) tries to position herself in front of Stanwood sophomore Addy Schuh in the Warriors' 55-47 win against the Spartans in the District 1 3A semifinals at Snohomish High School on Feb. 18, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Edmonds-Woodway girls mount comeback vs. Stanwood in district semis

The Warriors clinch first state berth since 2019 in 55-47 win against defending champs on Wednesday.

Seattle Seahawks players celebrate following their Super Bowl LX victory over the New England Patriots at Levi Stadium. (Kindell Buchanan/PA Wire/dpa/TNS)
New era incoming: Super Bowl-champion Seahawks officially for sale

Once finalized, the new ownership will impact both the business and football operations.

Anna Usitalo’s 37 leads Shorecrest girls past Ferndale

Lakewood boys move one step closer to state Wednesday with win over Burlington-Edison.

Shorewood senior Nathan Abraha blocks Edmonds-Woodway senior Dre Simonsen's attempt under the rim during the Stormrays' 42-40 win against the Warriors in the District 1 3A semifinals at Edmonds-Woodway High School on Feb. 17, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Shorewood boys upset top-seeded Edmonds-Woodway in district semis

The Stormrays earn second straight state berth with 42-40 win on Tuesday.

Snohomish junior Grady Rohrich lunges towards the rim to put up a layup during the Panthers' 57-54 win against Monroe in the District 1 3A semifinals at Edmonds-Woodway High School on Feb. 17, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Snohomish boys squeak past Monroe in district semis

The Panthers punch first ticket to state tournament since 2012 with 57-54 win on Tuesday.

Everett boys stay alive in districts

Tulalip Heritage boys book another trip to state on Tuesday.

Seahawks begin sale process

Less than two weeks after winning the Super Bowl, Seattle’s NFL franchise is for sale.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.