Seattle Seahawks starting quarterback Geno Smith (7) throws against the San Francisco 49ers in the first quarter at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif., on Sunday, Sept. 18, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer / Bay Area News Group)

Seattle Seahawks starting quarterback Geno Smith (7) throws against the San Francisco 49ers in the first quarter at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif., on Sunday, Sept. 18, 2022. (Nhat V. Meyer / Bay Area News Group)

‘Whew!’: Source says Seahawks get good news on Pro Bowl quarterback Geno Smith’s injuries

A banged-up knee and hip are not expected to sideline him for more than another practice or two.

Whew!

You can just about hear the reaction of relief coming out of Seattle Seahawks headquarters.

The Seahawks do not see Geno Smith’s banged-up knee and hip as a significant issue and they don’t expect him to miss any real time beyond perhaps another practice or two, a league source told The News Tribune Friday.

That is after imaging tests Thursday night showed no significant injury, as ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Friday morning.

Smith had a defensive teammate run into him and knock him to the turf at the end of a play during 11-on-11 scrimmaging at training camp Tuesday. It happened when quarterbacks were off-limits from contact, as always. Smith got up favoring his leg a bit, but he finished practice.

“Yeah, he got banged up a little bit on Tuesday,” coach Mike Macdonald said Thursday.

Smith missed the team’s light practice in T-shirts without helmets Wednesday. Macdonald said that light of a practice this early in training camp was “injury-prevention driven.”

Sam Howell was the quarterback with the first-team offense again on Thursday.

Macdonald didn’t specify following practice Thursday what Smith was getting imaged that night.

A league source had told The News Tribune Wednesday Smith was getting his knee and hip “worked on” and that’s why he missed practice the first day.

“He’s working through a couple things from (Tuesday). Going to get some imaging (Thursday) night. And, we’ll see,” Macdonald said Thursday after the eighth practice of camp, the second consecutive practice Smith missed.

Smith came onto the field about 20 minutes after practice began Thursday. He was wearing his practice jersey over sweats with a team cap instead of a helmet. He talked for a few minutes with offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb during special-teams drills.

Smith then went back into the team facility as practice continued with Howell, the Washington Commanders’ starter last season, leading the starting offense.

Asked if he expected the 33-year-old Smith to practice Friday, Macdonald said: “I don’t know about (Friday). But we’ll see what comes out of when he goes and sees the doc.”

What came out that was positive.

The Seahawks’ season begins in one month plus one week, Sept. 8 against Denver at Lumen Field.

Smith has made the NFC Pro Bowl team in each of his two seasons taking over as Seattle’s starter after the team traded Russell Wilson to Denver prior to the 2022 season. He’s gone 17-15 in the regular season with 50 touchdown passes and 20 interceptions over the ‘22 and ‘23 seasons as Seattle’s starter. He lost his first career playoff start, in January 2023. The Pro Bowl selections are the first two of his 11-year career.

He missed two games late last season with a groin injury.

Smith has this year and next season remaining on his three-year, $105 million contract extension with Seattle.

Last week, Smith said 2 1/2 months before his 34th birthday: “I’ve gotten faster. I’ve gotten stronger. I put on more muscle.

“You know, you got to credit the strength staff here, my people back home (in Miami) who do a great job, and then that mindset that I’ve talked about of always wanting to get better and just trying to push yourself.”

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Silvertips forward Shea Busch participates in the Florida Panthers development camp at Baptist Health IcePlex in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on July 1, 2025. Florida selected Busch in the fourth round of the 2025 NHL Entry Draft on June 28. (Photo courtesy Shea Busch)
Shea Busch experiences whirlwind NHL Draft week

The Florida Panthers selected the Silvertips forward in the fourth round on June 28.

Late Mystics surge dooms Storm as stars struggle

Seattle dropped to 13-9 after shooting 36.2% from the field.

Jorge Polanco (7), right, of the Seattle Mariners celebrates his ninth inning home run with J.P. Crawford (3) while playing the Detroit Tigers at Comerica Park on Sunday, July 13, 2025, in Detroit. (Gregory Shamus / Getty Images / Tribune News Services)
Mariners sweep Tigers on way to All-Star break

The Detroit Tigers still have the best record in baseball,… Continue reading

Mariners select LSU pitcher with No. 3 pick in MLB draft

College baseball’s best pitcher is coming to the Emerald City. The Seattle… Continue reading

Jannik Sinner of Italy celebrates winning championship point against Carlos Alcaraz of Spain during the Gentlemen's Singles Final on day 14 of The Championships Wimbledon 2025 at All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club on Sunday, July 13, 2025, in London. (Julian Finney / Getty Images / Tribune News Services)
Sinner conquers Alcaraz for his first Wimbledon title

The vision of Jannik Sinner covered in sweat and… Continue reading

Rome Odunze scans the field in a scrimmage at his youth football camp at Archbishop Murphy High School on July 10, 2025. The former University of Washington star is entering his second NFL season with the Chicago Bears. (Joe Pohoryles / The Herald)
Odunze ‘gives back’ in Everett youth football camp

The former University of Washington star hosts a single-day camp at Archbishop Murphy on Thursday.

The New York Yankees' Aaron Judge, top right, celebrates with teammates after hitting a walk-off sacrifice fly ball during the 10th inning against the Seattle Mariners at Yankee Stadium on Thursday, July 10, 2025, in New York. (Justin Casterline / Getty Images / Tribune News Services)
Yankees walk off Mariners on Judge’s sac fly for series sweep

Seattle blows 5-0 lead after Bryan Woo takes no-hitter into eighth inning.

Raleigh says Munoz tipped pitches during Yankees’ comeback

The Yankees had a bead on Seattle Mariners closer Andrés Muñoz. That’s… Continue reading

Midfielder Christian Soto dribbles up field during Snohomish United's 5-1 win against the Tacoma Stars at Stockers Fields on July 9, 2025 (Joe Pohoryles / The Herald)
Snohomish United keeps playoff hopes alive in home finale

With 5-1 win against Tacoma, the USL2 club’s focus on local talent keys success in inaugural season.

Silvertips forward Carter Bear fields questions after the Detroit Red Wings selected him 13th overall in the 2025 NHL Entry Draft in Los Angeles on June 27, 2025. (Photo courtesy Natalie Shaver / CHL)
Two weeks after Draft, Silvertips’ Bear still can’t believe it

The Red Wings’ first-rounder reflects on draft night and his experience at Detroit’s development camp.

AquaSox down Devils for consecutive wins

The AquaSox were on a 2-10 stretch coming into the series.

Cam Schlittler’s strong debut freezes Mariners

The Mariners fell to the Yankees, 9-6, on Wednesday night.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.