Shorecrest slogs through 20-0 win over Lynnwood

  • By Dan Engel For The Enterprise
  • Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:53pm


Halloween was still weeks away, but Friday night’s game between Shorecrest and Lynnwood was a nightmare come true for both head coaches.

A steady downpour of rain contributed to a combined seven turnovers for the game as Shorecrest sloshed its way to a 20-0 victory over Lynnwood in a Western Conference 3A matchup at Shoreline Stadium.

The Scots improve to 1-1 in conference play and 3-4 overall and remain in the playoff hunt, tied with Everett for third place. Meadowdale currently sits atop the conference lead with Glacier Peak in second place. The conference third-place team enters a play-in game for the right to advance. Shorecrest will visit Everett at 7 p.m. Friday at Memorial Stadium.

But what haunted both these coaches were the turnovers.

“We muffed a punt, we turned the ball over in crucial situations and we lost 20 to nothing,” said Lynnwood head coach Dorian Manza whose team dropped to 0-3 in the league and 0-7 overall. “Every time we had a chance to score a touchdown we turned the ball over.”

The Royals moved the ball well on offense at times, led by senior quarterback Michael Stanley who completed 9 of 14 passes for 103 yards. He also had 11 carries for 50 yards. But four Lynnwood fumbles for turnovers sunk multiple chances to score.

“We played a good game, but when you get in the red zone you have to capitalize and we didn’t capitalize,” Manza said. “This was a really tough loss. It felt like whatever we did right was countered by a turnover.”

The Scots committed three turnovers of their own, but also got another strong performance from Jordan Brown. The senior running back had 27 carries for 205 yards and scored all three of the Scots’ touchdowns. Although his team won by 20 points and a shutout, Shorecrest head coach Mike Wollan was just as troubled as his Lynnwood counterpart.

“The key in conditions like this is holding on to the football and we certainly didn’t do that very well,” Wollan said. “We had a lot of missed opportunities because of it.”

Shorecrest’s first score came late in the first quarter when Brown punched it in from two yards out for a 7-0 lead. A Lynnwood miscue on a punt deep in their own territory gave the Scots the ball at the Royals’ 12-yard line. Brown needed only one play to score and his team went into halftime with a 13-0 lead.

The Scots’ final touchdown of the night came at the end of an 11-play drive, punctuated by a 6-yard scoring run by Brown to make it 20-0.

“This weather kind of neutralizes both teams,” Wollan said. “The goal was to run the clock, try to get this thing over with and also get a win.”

Talk to us

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.