Army to allow completion of Dakota Access oil pipeline

By Blake Nicholson

Associated Press

BISMARCK, N.D. — The Army told Congress on Tuesday that it will allow the $3.8 billion Dakota Access oil pipeline to cross under a Missouri River reservoir in North Dakota, completing the disputed four-state project.

The Army intends to allow the Lake Oahe crossing as early as Wednesday, according to court documents the Justice Department filed that include letters to members of Congress from Deputy Assistant Army Secretary Paul Cramer.

The stretch under Lake Oahe is the final big chunk of work on the 1,200-mile pipeline that would carry North Dakota oil through the Dakotas and Iowa to a shipping point in Illinois. Developer Energy Transfer Partners had hoped to have oil flowing through the pipeline by the end of 2016, but construction has been stalled while the Army Corps of Engineers and the Dallas-based company battled in court over the crossing.

The Standing Rock Sioux, whose reservation is just downstream from the crossing, fears a leak would pollute its drinking water and is likely to file a legal challenge to the Army’s decision to grant an easement. The tribe has led protests that drew hundreds and at times thousands of people who dubbed themselves “water protectors” to an encampment near the crossing. ETP says the pipeline is safe.

An environmental assessment conducted last year determined the crossing would not have a significant impact on the environment. However, then-Assistant Army Secretary for Civil Works Jo-Ellen Darcy on Dec. 4 declined to issue permission for the crossing, saying a broader environmental study was warranted given the Standing Rock Sioux’s opposition.

ETP called Darcy’s decision politically motivated and accused then-President Barack Obama’s administration of delaying the matter until he left office. The Corps launched a study of the crossing on Jan. 18, two days before Obama left office, that could have taken up to two years to complete. President Donald Trump signed an executive action on Jan. 24 telling the Corps to quickly reconsider Darcy’s decision.

The court documents filed Tuesday include a proposed Federal Register notice terminating the study.

ETP has been poised to begin drilling under the lake as soon as it has approval. Workers have drilled entry and exit holes for the Oahe crossing, and oil has been put in the pipeline leading up to the lake in anticipation of finishing the project.

Protesters have at times clashed with police, leading to nearly 700 arrests since the tribe set up the encampment on federal land. The camp’s population thinned to fewer than 300 as harsh winter weather arrived and as Standing Rock officials pleaded for the camp to disband before the spring flooding season.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Business

Customers walk in and out of Fred Meyer along Evergreen Way on Monday, Oct. 31, 2022 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Kroger said theft a reason for Everett Fred Meyer closure. Numbers say differently.

Statistics from Everett Police Department show shoplifting cut in half from 2023 to 2024.

Funko headquarters in downtown Everett. (Sue Misao / Herald file)
FUNKO taps Netflix executive to lead company

FUNKO’s new CEO comes from Netflix

Inside El Sid, where the cocktail bar will also serve as a coffee house during the day on Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
New upscale bar El Sid opens in APEX complex

Upscale bar is latest venue to open in APEX Everett.

Mattie Hanley, wife of DARPA director Stephen Winchell, smashes a bottle to christen the USX-1 Defiant, first-of-its kind autonomous naval ship, at Everett Ship Repair on Monday, Aug. 11, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
No crew required: Christening held for autonomous ship prototype in Everett

Built in Whidbey Island, the USX-1 Defiant is part of a larger goal to bring unmanned surface vessels to the US Navy.

Cassie Smith, inventory manager, stocks shelves with vinyl figures in 2020 at the Funko store on Wetmore Avenue in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
Everett-based Funko reports $41M loss in the 2nd quarter

The pop culture collectables company reported the news during an earnings call on Thursday.

A Boeing 737 Max 10 prepares to take off in Seattle on June 18, 2021. MUST CREDIT: Bloomberg photo by Chona Kasinger.
When Boeing expects to start production of 737 MAX 10 plane in Everett

Boeing CEO says latest timeline depends on expected FAA certification of the plane in 2026.

Kongsberg Director of Government Relations Jake Tobin talks to Rep. Rick Larsen about the HUGIN Edge on Thursday, July 31, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Norwegian underwater vehicle company expands to Lynnwood

Kongsberg Discovery will start manufacturing autonomous underwater vehicles in 2026 out of its U.S. headquarters in Lynnwood.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Snohomish in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Garbage strike over for now in Lynnwood, Edmonds and Snohomish

Union leaders say strike could return if “fair” negotiations do not happen.

Richard Wong, center, the 777-X wing engineering senior manager, cheers as the first hole is drilled in the 777-8 Freighter wing spar on Monday, July 21, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Boeing starts production of first 777X Freighter

The drilling of a hole in Everett starts a new chapter at Boeing.

Isaac Peterson, owner of the Reptile Zoo, outside of his business on Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2025 in Monroe, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
The Reptile Zoo, Monroe’s roadside zoo, slated to close

The Reptile Zoo has been a unique Snohomish County tourist attraction for nearly 30 years.

Downtown Edmonds is a dining destination, boasting fresh seafood, Caribbean-inspired sandwiches, artisan bread and more. (Taylor Goebel / The Herald)
Edmonds commission studying parking fees and business tax proposals

Both ideas are under consideration as possible revenue solutions to address a $13M budget shortfall.

Ben Paul walks through QFC with Nala on Saturday, July 14, 2018 in Everett, Wa. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
QFC to close Mill Creek location, part a plan to close similar stores across the nation

A state layoff and closure notice says 76 employees will lose their jobs as a result of the closure.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.