With the model’s grounding, Boeing has had to park 737 MAX planes, seen here on April 4, on the crosswind runway at Paine Field in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)

With the model’s grounding, Boeing has had to park 737 MAX planes, seen here on April 4, on the crosswind runway at Paine Field in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)

FAA begins work to restore confidence in 737 MAX — and itself

The agency and counterpart regulators from overseas are meeting in Seattle this week to clear the air.

By Ryan Beene / Bloomberg News

The Federal Aviation Administration on Monday took a potentially important step toward rebuilding confidence not only in the Boeing 737 MAX but also in the agency itself, convening a week-long summit of civil aviation regulators from Brussels to Beijing.

Led by former National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Christopher Hart, delegates from eight overseas nations and the European Union are meeting in Seattle to examine the FAA’s original certification of the MAX as safe to fly, including the automated flight control system linked to two crashes since October that killed a combined 346 people.

“The point of this body is to attempt to instill confidence globally in the 737 MAX and the agency that certified it,” said Jeffrey Guzzetti, the former director of the FAA’s Accident Investigation Division, who is not on the panel.

Boeing and the FAA have been subjected to withering scrutiny from lawmakers, government watchdogs and prosecutors following the 737 MAX’s worldwide grounding, now entering its seventh week. Much of that has been focused on how much was known about the MAX’s anti-stall countermeasure and how much sway Boeing had in the jet’s certification by the FAA.

More than 40 nations from the U.K. to Australia rejected public reassurances from the FAA after the second crash in Ethiopia last month and grounded the MAX before the U.S. agency followed suit — a remarkable rebuke for a body that has been a regulatory leader since the dawn of the jet age.

Boeing’s global rival Airbus said on Tuesday it’s concerned that the MAX crisis might undermine an alignment between the FAA and the European Aviation Safety Agency that’s been key to easing cooperation in the industry for years.

“These events are creating a lot of tensions and questions,” Airbus Chief Executive Officer Guillaume Faury said on an earnings call. “It’s a concern at this stage, it’s too early to draw conclusions.” EASA didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

South Korean authorities, meanwhile, plan to determine independently whether the MAX should be cleared to fly again in its airspace, according to a transport ministry official. The Asian nation plans to closely monitor steps taken by regulators in Europe and China, the first country to ground the MAX, said the person, who wasn’t allowed to speak publicly and asked not to be identified.

Lawsuits against Boeing filed on Monday by two Canadians whose family members died in the March 10 crash of Ethiopian Airlines flight 302 also called the FAA “equally culpable” in the accidents for approving the MAX “despite its substantial flaws.”

“The relationship between Boeing and the FAA left a lot of questions,” said Michael Barr, an aviation safety expert at the University of Southern California. “They need a third party, a neutral party with a lot of respect in the industry, to evaluate that relationship and see whether or not there needs to be a change.”

The panel aims to do so quickly. The so-called Joint Authorities Technical Review has been asked to complete its findings within 90 days, far faster than the ongoing inquiries and audits by accident investigators, government watchdogs, prosecutors and lawmakers.

The review panel was asked by the FAA to “conduct a comprehensive review of the certification of the automated flight control system on the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft,” the agency said in an April 3 statement announcing the effort. It can also make recommendations for improvements on the plane.

The panel includes representatives from Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, the EU, Japan, Indonesia, Singapore and the United Arab Emirates.

Efforts to reach participants in the session were not successful. Before the meeting, the president of Dubai’s civil aviation authority, Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, told reporters at the 2019 Arabian Travel Market convention in Dubai that he still had questions about the plane.

“We want to know exactly what’s happening, the details. There are still areas that aren’t being answered 100 percent yet,” said Sheikh Ahmed, who is also the chairman of Emirates, the world’s biggest long-haul carrier, and sister company FlyDubai, which has had to ground 14 737s. “Communication with Boeing could be better,” he added.

Participants on the FAA panel “are committed to a single safety mission and will not rest where aviation’s safety record is concerned,” an FAA spokesman said in a statement Monday. “We expect the JATR to engage in a free and candid discussion that exchanges information and improves future processes.”

As the meeting got underway, Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg defended the software system linked to the crashes in Ethiopia and off the coast of Indonesia. At the company’s yearly investors meeting in Chicago, he said the software met company standards and that the jet wasn’t rushed to market.

Guzzetti likened the FAA review to a similar one commissioned by the agency in 1994 to review the flight controls of an earlier version of the 737 after two fatal crashes involving the jet. That effort produced 27 recommendations related to aircraft design changes in just a few months.

Those conclusions, however, were overshadowed by NTSB findings years later that a failure mode in the 737 could cause the rudder to move in the opposite direction to that commanded by pilots, leading to costly changes, said Guzzetti, who participated in that review while at the NTSB.

“In the end, it didn’t really move the needle,” he said of the FAA’s review. “It was really the final NTSB investigation and recommendations and how Boeing and the industry responded.”

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Business

A chocochurro ice cream taco offered as a part of the taco omakase chef tasting at Bar Dojo on Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2026 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Bar Dojo helped build the Edmonds restaurant scene

It first opened in late 2012 when the restaurant scene in Edmonds was underdeveloped.

Whiskey Prime Steakhouse’s 18-ounce Chairman steak with garlic confit, 12-year aged balsamic vinegar and bourbon-soaked oak at the Angel of the Winds Casino Resort on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Arlington, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
This casino offers an off-the-menu, dry-aged delicacy

Whiskey Prime, the steakhouse inside Angel of the Winds Casino Resort in Arlington, can’t keep up with customer demand for its special steaks.

The Boeing Aerospace Adventure flight simulators at the Boeing Future of Flight on Thursday, Jan. 15, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Boeing expands hours for Future of Flight and factory tour

Aerospace giant hopes to draw more tourists with move from five to seven days a week.

Vincent Nattress, the owner of Orchard Kitchen, at his adjacent farm on Monday, Jan. 26, 2026 in Langley, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Island County chef takes a break from the kitchen to write

Chef Vincent Nattress has closed Orchard Kitchen while he works on two books.

Kentucky Fried Chicken along Broadway on Friday, Jan. 16, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Few vacant retail spaces in Snohomish County

A lack of new construction and limited supply are cited as key reasons.

Cashless Amazon Go convenience store closes on Sunday in Mill Creek

The Mill Creek location is one of 16 to be shut down by Amazon.

The Naval Station Everett Base on Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Rebooted committee will advocate for Naval Station Everett

The committee comes after the cancellation of Navy frigates that were to be based in Everett.

Snohomish County unemployment reaches 5.1%

It’s the highest level in more than three years.

Tommy’s Express Car Wash owners Clayton Wall, left, and Phuong Truong, right, outside of their car wash on Friday, Jan. 16, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Clayton Wall brings a Tommy’s Express Car Wash to Everett

The Everett location is the first in Washington state for the Michigan-based car wash franchise.

Making our online community our own

Fitch Pitney created South Whidbey Online, a social purpose corporation.

A view of the Orchard Kitchen and farm. (Photo courtesy of Orchard Kitchen)
Island County chef takes a break from the kitchen to write

Chef Vincent Nattress has closed Orchard Kitchen while he works on two books.

The livery on a Boeing plane. (Christopher Pike / Bloomberg)
Boeing begins hiring for new 737 variant production line at Everett factory

The 737 MAX 10 still needs to be certificated by the FAA.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.