A family’s long search after the Oso mudslide

OSO — Mark Gustafson’s family spent 18 days searching.

The carpenter, avid fly fisherman and father of four was among the dozens of people missing after the March 22 mudslide.

As soon as they could, his relatives flew in from out of state and, in one case, from overseas. They spent day after frustrating day scraping through a wasteland of mud and wreckage.

A few days in, son Jeremiah Gustafson found something that could only have come from his dad’s house: a photo of himself in the fourth grade.

“You knew he was somewhere around there,” he said. “We all knew it.”

The photograph gave him hope. It also drove home why they were there.

He loved the river

Mark Gustafson bought his mobile home on East Steelhead Drive in 1997. For those who knew him, it was obvious why he chose the spot only a few hundred feet from the North Fork of the Stillaguamish River.

“My dad loved fly fishing,” said his daughter, Mindi Peake. “He loved that area.”

That’s most likely what attracted him to Western Washington from the tiny prairie town of Belt, Mont., nearly 30 years ago, his daughter said.

Gustafson would spend his days framing houses, then return home to enjoy the outdoors. His children — three sons and a daughter, all in their 30s— didn’t grow up in the area, but they have fond memories of their visits.

“We would just hang out at night and have bonfires,” said Peake, who lives in Virginia, where her husband is stationed in the Army.

She described her father as a no-drama, no-nonsense guy. A private man, Gustafson lived by himself, but stayed close to a circle of family and friends. There were his children, eight grandchildren, brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews.

His friends included Eddie and Lydia Gaumond, a couple from Arlington, who had season tickets with Gustafson for Everett Silvertips hockey games.

Gustafson turned 55 on March 12. Ten days later, the hillside looming north of his home gave way. It was 10:37 a.m.

The Gaumonds started contacting Gustafson’s relatives to let them know.

Together in sorrow

Youngest son Joshua Gustafson, 30, arrived at Sea-Tac International Airport on Monday from Italy, where he’s stationed as a U.S. Army sergeant.

Jeremiah Gustafson, 32, arrived next from Colorado.

Peake, 34, and her husband, Jeremy, soon followed from Virginia with their 6-month-old son. Sister, Patty Gustafson and her husband, Doug Smith, flew down from Alaska.

“That was pretty much our group,” Jeremiah said. “Every day, consistently, it would be me, Jeremy, Joshua, Doug, Eddie and Lydia.”

The eldest son, Casey Gustafson, 35, also traveled from Colorado, but had to stop searching after stepping on a nail.

The family stayed at a hotel in Smokey Point.

They spent the first days on the west side of the slide. Checking in at the Oso Fire Station in the morning, they would stay as late as they could. They would leave around 6 p.m., dirty, exhausted.

“You get so frustrated,” Jeremiah said. “There’s really not much a human can do without the equipment or the dogs.”

Mud, quicksand and standing water made the going treacherous.

They carried big sticks to probe the ground. Going north from Highway 530, closer to the swollen river, the water got deeper.

“You would sink three or four feet,” Jeremiah said. For safety, “you pretty much had to be by somebody.”

On the fourth day, they walked more than a mile across the slide area, toward Darrington.

That’s when Jeremiah found the photo. It was near a lone Sitka spruce that somehow survived the destruction. The six-foot-wide giant has since become a silent witness to the community’s grief.

“When we found the picture, we didn’t want to look anywhere else,” Jeremiah said.

Other clues appeared on the east end of the slide, including some scraps of blue siding from their dad’s home.

They saw other families who were searching. That was something new: to have families in the recovery zone, alongside foresters, firefighters and disaster-response teams.

The family was grateful for the dedication and respect shown by the pros. They were invested in finding the missing.

The family formed a special bond with Adam Rosenlund, a Pierce County firefighter assigned to one of the search teams. At 10:37 a.m. April 12, Rosenlund stood in the scarred valley and played the bagpipes, marking the third week since the catastrophe.

“He helped us so much,” Jeremiah said. “You could tell he wanted to find him. He wanted to help.”

He did. On Wednesday, April 9, Rosenlund’s team called Jeremy and Joshua over to a spot perhaps 30 yards from the spruce. It was about half a mile from where their father’s house had stood.

They’d found him. They called their sister at 10:32 a.m.

Saying goodbye

Mark Gustafson was the 35th name to appear on the medical examiner’s list of identified slide victims. By the end of last week, there were 41 names plus two people still missing.

Gustafson’s family say his recovery is a testament to the searchers’ resolve. He was buried nine feet deep in mud shot through with logs and pieces of houses.

Whenever searchers found remains, the machinery rested. Workers removed their hard hats. The valley grew silent.

Jeremiah and Joshua took some time alone with their dad.

“We wanted to touch him one more time and say goodbye and tell him we loved him,” Jeremiah said.

The work did not resume until they were ready.

They walked alongside a truck that took their dad to the medical examiner’s tent outside the slide zone.

“The whole time, there was nothing running,” Jeremiah said. “It all shut down.”

Searchers had found the body of Mark Gustafson’s dog, Lefty, several days earlier. Before leaving Washington, family members buried the border collie in the Gaumonds’ yard, near a cedar sapling that had been a gift from their father.

The family brought Mark Joseph Gustafson back to Montana. A graveside service began in Belt at 10:37 a.m. April 19 — four weeks to the minute after the slide.

Noah Haglund: 425-339-3465, nhaglund@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Fraudulent 1999 Pokémon cards Iosif “Joe” Bondarchuk and Anthony Curcio sold to an undercover law enforcement purchaser in July 2023. (Photo provided by the DOJ USAO Southern District of New York)
Counterfeit Pokémon cards, a $2M scheme, and a getaway by inner tube

It was the latest stranger-than-fiction caper tied to ex-Monroe star athlete Anthony Curcio, accused of forging mint grades for rare cards.

A Mukilteo Speedway sign hangs at an intersection along the road in Mukilteo. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Mukilteo Speedway name change is off to a bumpy start

The city’s initial crack at renaming the main drag got over 1,500 responses. Most want to keep the name.

Suspected DUI crash injures trooper on I-5 north in Lynnwood

WSP spokesperson said two suspected impaired drivers have crashed into a state trooper in the past 24 hours.

The view of Mountain Loop Mine out the window of a second floor classroom at Fairmount Elementary on Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
After months of controversy, mine’s Everett gravel yard is for sale

In April, a county judge ordered OMA Construction to stop all work, next door to Fairmount Elementary School. Now, the yard is on the market.

Traffic moves along Highway 526 in front of Boeing’s Everett Production Facility on Nov. 28, 2022, in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Boeing agrees to pay over $11.5M in back pay to employees

Nearly 500 workers are set to receive back wages, in what Washington regulators call the largest-ever settlement of its kind in state history.

The I-5, Highway 529 and the BNSF railroad bridges cross over Union Slough as the main roadways for north and southbound traffic between Everett and Marysville. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Highway 529 closure between Everett and Marysville delayed by weather

The key alternative route to I-5 was slated to be fully closed overnight Saturday. Now, June 8 is being circled as the date.

Benson Boone (Photo provided by AEG Presents)
Taylor Swift taps Monroe HS grad Benson Boone to open London show

Boone, 21, has become a global pop star since his “American Idol” stint in 2021. “Beautiful Things” is the biggest song in the world.

News logo for use with stories about Mill Creek in Snohomish County, WA.
Mill Creek man accused of crashing into taxi in Seattle, killing woman

King County prosecutors charged Aboubacarr Singhateh with vehicular homicide and three counts of vehicular assault.

Grayson Huff, left, a 4th grader at Pinewood Elementary, peeks around his sign during the Marysville School District budget presentation on Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2023 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
State OKs Marysville plan with schools, jobs on chopping block

The revised plan would mean the loss of dozens of jobs and two schools — still to be identified — in a school district staring down a budget crunch.

The Trestle’s junction with I-5 is under evaluation (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
Here’s your chance to give feedback on the US 2 trestle and its future

Often feel overwhelmed, vulnerable and on shaky ground? So is the trestle. A new $17 million study seeks solutions for the route east of Everett.

Rep. Suzanne DelBene and Mayor Kyoko Matsumoto Wright walk past a future apartment development during a tour and discussion with community leaders regarding the Mountlake Terrace Main Street Revitalization project on Tuesday, May 28, 2024, in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
As Mountlake Terrace grows, so does housing around light rail

City officials lauded a new apartment complex and accepted a $850,000 check, as Mountlake Terrace continues work on Town Center plan.

Edmonds City Council members answer questions during an Edmonds City Council Town Hall on Thursday, April 18, 2024 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds favors joining South County Fire — but not ready to commit

The City Council voted 5-2 to make annexation its favored option. The city has 19 months before the current contract expires.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.