American worker kidnapped in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Iraq – Gunmen kidnapped a Lebanese-American businessman – the second U.S. citizen seized this week in Baghdad – and videotape Wednesday showed the beheadings of three Iraqi National Guardsmen and an Iraqi officer.

Elsewhere, a U.S. soldier was killed and another wounded in a roadside bombing 12 miles south of the capital. A suicide driver detonated his vehicle at a checkpoint near Baghdad airport, injuring nine Iraqis and prompting U.S. troops to close the main route into the city for hours.

U.S. jets were in action again late Wednesday over Fallujah, striking insurgent targets in the northeastern and southern parts of the city where American forces are said to be gearing up for a major assault. Residents reported fierce exchanges of fire after midnight on the edge of the city.

Gunmen killed a senior Oil Ministry official, Hussein Ali al-Fattal, after he left his house Wednesday in the Yarmouk district of western Baghdad, police said. Al-Fattal was the general manager of a state-owned company that distributes petroleum byproducts.

Al-Jazeera television broadcast a threat by an unspecified armed group to strike oil installations and government buildings if the Americans launch an all-out assault on Fallujah. The report was accompanied by a videotape showing about 20 armed men brandishing various weapons.

The violence served as grim reminder of Iraq’s rapidly deteriorating security situation.

Radim Sadeq, an American of Lebanese origin who worked for a mobile phone company, was grabbed about midnight Tuesday when he answered the door of his home in Baghdad’s upscale Mansour neighborhood, officials said. No group claimed responsibility.

It was the second abduction this week in Mansour, where many foreign companies are based. On Monday, gunmen stormed the two-story compound of a Saudi company, abducting six people, including an unidentified American, a Nepalese, a Filipino and three Iraqis, two of whom were later released. No claim has been made for the kidnappings.

More than 170 foreigners have been kidnapped and more than 30 of them killed in Iraq since Saddam Hussein’s regime fell in April last year. At least six of the foreigners were beheaded by followers of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a Jordanian militant who has sworn allegiance to al-Qaida.

As the wave of abductions continues, another militant group, the Ansar al-Sunnah Army, posted a videotape on a Web site Wednesday showing the beheading of man it said was an Iraqi army major captured in the northern city of Mosul.

A statement by the group called Maj. Hussein Shanoun an “apostate” and said he confessed to taking part in attacks against insurgents on orders of the Americans.

In another video, aired Wednesday on Al-Jazeera, a group calling itself the Brigades of Iraq’s Honorables said it beheaded three Iraqi National Guards, accusing them of spying for the Americans.

Also on Wednesday:

* Hungary announced it will withdraw its 300 noncombat troops from Iraq by March 31. The country’s new prime minister said staying longer would be an “impossibility.”

* In Samarra, 60 miles north of Baghdad, residents said U.S. soldiers clashed with gunmen in the city center. Four Iraqis were killed and two injured, said Ahmed Jadour of the Samarra General Hospital.

Associated Press

U.S. soldiers walk past a vehicle damaged Wednesday in a car bomb explosion on the outskirts of Baghdad.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Oliver Popa, 7, poses with his book, "Drippey Plants a Garden," on Tuesday, March 25, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds 7-year-old publishes children’s book featuring ‘Drippey’ the bee

Oliver Popa’s first grade teacher said he should publish a longer version of a writing assignment. A year later, his mother — a publisher — helped made it happen.

Don Sharrett talks John Wrice through his trimming technique on Friday, March 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett barber school offers $5 haircuts — if you’re brave enough

Students get hands-on practice. Willing clients get a sweet deal.

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Nichole Webber: Drawing up plays for athletes and politics

The communications director for the city of Everett believes leadership is rooted in honesty, integrity and selfless commitment to others.

2025 Emerging Leader Natalie Given (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Natalie Given: Building trust and communicating concerns

Everett Police Department’s Public Information Officer builds relationship and better communication.

2025 Emerging Leader Melinda Cervantes (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Melinda Cervantes: Making sure every voice is heard

Prolific volunteer facilitates connections between Spanish-speaking public representatives and community members.

2025 Emerging Leader Kellie Lewis (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Kellie Lewis: Bringing community helpers together

Edmonds Food Bank’s marketing and communications director fosters connections to help others.

2025 Emerging Leader Christina Strand (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Christina Strand: Helping people on the move

Community engagement specialist believes biking, walking and public transit can have a positive impact.

Percy Levy, who served 17 years for drug-related crimes, outside his new business Redemption Auto along Highway 99 on Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett man indicted on federal drug and weapons charges

Percy Levy, along with two men, face federal charges for their roles in a major drug trafficking operation.

2025 Emerging Leader Anthony Hawley (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Anthony Hawley: Creating friendships and filling pantries

Since 2021, Hawley has increased donations to Lake Stevens Community Food Bank through fundraising and building donor relationships.

Gary Petershagen
Lake Stevens council member announces reelection run

Gary Petershagen is seeking a third term on the council.

2025 Emerging Leader Megan Kemmett (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Megan Kemmett: Seeking solutions to any problem or obstacle

Executive director of Snohomish Community Food Bank overcomes obstacles to keep people fed.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.