At least 59 dead in Greek ferry accident


Associated Press

PAROS, Greece – A Greek ferry struck a patch of rocks in the Aegean Sea and sank, killing at least 59 of the more than 500 people aboard. Many of the victims panicked and jumped off the boat, rescue officials said.

The ship’s captain and four crew members were arrested after the accident Tuesday night, amid reports at least some of them were watching a soccer match on television at the time. Government officials accused them of criminal negligence, and survivors criticized the shipping company for complete disorganization.

“You have to be blind not to see it,” said Coast Guard chief Andreas Sirigos. “It is inexplicable how the ship collided with a well-known rock that carries a light visible from a distance of seven miles.”

It was unclear how many people were aboard, and how many of them were foreigners. At least 443 people were rescued, including four Americans, authorities said. It was unknown if any Americans had drowned.

There reportedly were also passengers from Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Norway.

Many of the dead were young children, who were not required to be counted on the passenger list. A port official suffered a heart attack and died after hearing news of the sinking, the coast guard said.

The 34-year-old ferry Express Samina was on its daily meandering route through the Aegean Sea with an assortment of passengers – foreign tourists heading for sun-soaked holiday isles, residents heading home, army conscripts returning to military bases from leaves.

The ship left Athens’ port of Piraeus at 5 p.m. Tuesday and headed for Paros, the first of six stops that would eventually bring it to the tiny Lipsis islands near the Turkish coast.

About 10 p.m., the 345-foot, 4,407-ton ferry rammed into the Portes islet, a large rocky outcrop near Paros harbor that is marked on maritime charts and has a navigation light, Sirigos said.

Christine Shannon, 30, an artist and teacher from Seattle, was one of the survivors.

“We were on the main deck,” Shannon said. “I saw it hit. It was well above the top deck. … It was like the movie Titanic.”

A small flotilla of fishing boats rushed to the scene, followed by dozens of other vessels and British Navy helicopters. But rescue efforts were hampered by gale-force winds.

British helicopters rescued at least 12 people, including two Britons, clinging to rocks in the swelling seas and took them aboard the HMS Invincible for treatment. They were suffering from cold, shock and minor cuts and bruises.

The causes of the collision were not immediately known, but Justice Minister Michalis Stathopoulos said the accident was caused by “criminal negligence.” Results of a preliminary investigation indicated that captain Vassilis Yannakis was not on his bridge.

Yannakis, his deputy Anastasios Psychoyos, and three crew members were being questioned. A supreme court prosecutor also summoned two senior officials from the ferry’s operator, Minoan Flying Dolphins, to give testimony.

There were Greek media reports that coast guard officers were also investigating allegations that most of the crew was watching a European Champions League soccer match when the ferry crashed.

“Everyone was watching the game. … I joked with my husband, ‘Whose driving the ship?’ ” said German survivor Christa Liczbinski, 37, from Seeheim near Frankfurt.

Although a crew member interviewed by telephone said there was an orderly evacuation, Liczbinski and other passengers reported a strong collision and then panic. Liczbinski, who is pregnant, and her 33-year-old husband Mark – a Lufthansa pilot – said the evacuation was disorganized. They were traveling with their son Mark, 4.

Some survivors accused the crew of ignoring the custom of evacuating women and children first.

“Nobody told us to do anything. They were just yelling and pushing. We were handing out life vests. People were starting to jump out of the boat without vests. I thought we were going to die the whole time. We got on a boat and they let it down. There was a hole in it,” said Heidi Hart, a 26-year-old accountant from Seattle.

Welsh company director Emil Popper said there was “total chaos” as people leaped off the sinking ship.

“Basically it was chaos and mayhem at the back of the ship. There was no organization, total chaos,” said the 34-year-old from Cardiff. “People were jumping off the ship there was absolutely no prioritization. There was nothing left of the boat on the side we were holding on to and it was a question of clawing our way down the ship.”

Although the ferry’s owner said 447 tickets were sold and 63 crew members were aboard, the exact number of people aboard was unknown. Some people boarded from another boat and other bought tickets on board.

Sirigos said 443 people from the ship had been accounted for at the island’s health center. He appealed for any survivors staying at hotels or private homes to register at the health center.

Copyright ©2000 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Marysville firefighters respond to a 12-year-old boy who fell down a well Tuesday May 30, 2023 in Marysville, Washington. (Photo provided by Marysville Fire District)
Marysville firefighters save boy who fell 20 feet into well

The 12-year-old child held himself up by grabbing on to a plastic pipe while firefighters worked to save him.

Highway 9 is set to be closed in both directions for a week as construction crews build a roundabout at the intersection with Vernon Road. (Washington State Department of Transportation)
Weeklong closure coming to Highway 9 section in Lake Stevens

Travelers should expect delays or find another way from Friday to Thursday between Highway 204 and Lundeen Parkway.

Students arriving off the bus get in line to score some waffles during a free pancake and waffle breakfast at Lowell Elementary School on Friday, May 26, 2023, in Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
800 free pancakes at Everett’s Lowell Elementary feed the masses

The annual breakfast was started to connect the community and the school, as well as to get people to interact.

Marysville Mayor Jon Nehring speaks at the groundbreaking event for the I-5/SR 529 Interchange project on Tuesday, May 23, 2023 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
$123M project starting on Highway 529 interchange, I-5 HOV lane

A reader wondered why the highway had a lane closure despite not seeing work done. Crews were waiting on the weather.

Justin Bell was convicted earlier this month of first-degree assault for a December 2017 shooting outside a Value Village in Everett. (Caleb Hutton / Herald file)
Court: Snohomish County jurors’ opaque masks didn’t taint verdict

During the pandemic, Justin Bell, 32, went on trial for a shooting. Bell claims his right to an impartial jury was violated.

Gary Fontes uprights a tree that fell over in front of The Fontes Manor — a miniature handmade bed and breakfast — on Friday, May 12, 2023, at his home near Silver Lake in Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Everett’s mini-Frank Lloyd Wright builds neighborhood of extra tiny homes

A tiny lighthouse, a spooky mansion and more: Gary Fontes’ miniature world of architectural wonders is one-twelfth the size of real life.

Will Steffener
Inslee appoints Steffener as Superior Court judge

Attorney Will Steffener will replace Snohomish County Superior Court Judge Janice Ellis, who is retiring in June.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Snohomish in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Report of downed hot air balloon turns up farmer’s tarp near Snohomish

Two 911 callers believed they saw a hot air balloon crash, leading to a major search-and-rescue response. It was a false alarm.

A few weeks before what could be her final professional UFC fight, Miranda Granger grimaces as she pushes a 45-pound plate up her driveway on Tuesday, July 12, 2022, in Lake Stevens, Washington. Her daughter Austin, age 11 months, is strapped to her back. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Daily Herald staff wins 5 honors at annual journalism competition

The Herald got one first-place win and four runner-up spots in SPJ’s Northwest Excellence in Journalism contest.

Most Read