Barak, Arafat agree to summit

Los Angeles Times

JERUSALEM – Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak and Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat agreed Saturday to attend a U.S.-sponsored summit in Egypt on Monday to try to bring an end to more than two weeks of deadly violence that has shattered Middle East peace prospects and threatened regional stability.

President Clinton, who had been working for more than a week to set up face-to-face talks between the two leaders, said he will attend the meeting in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el Sheik, along with U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, Jordan’s King Abdullah II and a senior European Union official.

Although Clinton said the Israeli and Palestinian leaders had agreed to attend the talks without preconditions, the announcement was accompanied by a marked reduction in clashes between the two sides and no fatalities – in what was possibly a concerted effort to pave the way for the meeting.

In another apparent step toward easing tensions, the Palestinian Authority sent 15 members of the extremist Hamas and Islamic Jihad movements back to jail after releasing them during last week’s turmoil in an unspoken threat to renew terrorism against Israel.

Nonetheless, Clinton quickly set out to limit expectations for the summit, which will pursue a cease-fire rather than the broader peace agreement that just a few months ago he still believed he could forge before leaving office.

“We should be under no illusions,” the president said in Washington. “The good news is the parties have agreed to meet and the situation appears to be calmer. But the path ahead is difficult. After the terrible events of the past few days, the situation is still quite tense.

“Our central objectives must now be to stop the violence, to restore common safety, to agree on a fact-finding mechanism concerning how this began and how it can be prevented from occurring again and to find a way back to dialogue and negotiations,” he said.

The Palestinians had resisted a meeting with Barak ahead of an Arab League summit to be held in Cairo, Egypt, on Saturday, but Arafat came under intense international pressure after the violence escalated Thursday, when a Palestinian mob lynched two Israeli soldiers and Israel retaliated with missile attacks on the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Furthermore, Lebanese Hezbollah guerrillas are holding three Israeli soldiers captured on Israel’s northern border Oct. 7. Negotiations are ongoing, although Israel has threatened to retaliate against Lebanon and its de facto rulers in Syria if the soldiers are not released.

The Israeli-Palestinian violence has fueled Islamic fundamentalist-driven demonstrations in Egypt and Jordan, which have peace agreements with Israel, and might have provoked a wave of attacks on U.S. and British targets in the region.

As soon as they agreed to attend, both sides laid out the demands they will take to the negotiating table.

Israel blamed the Palestinians for initiating the clashes and insisted that the Palestinian media cease inciting violence. The Israeli government demanded that the Palestinian Authority disarm militias organized by Arafat’s Fatah movement and jail members of the radical Islamic groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad who were let out of prison in recent days.

The Palestinian Authority says the widespread riots against Israeli soldiers were triggered by right-wing Likud Party leader Ariel Sharon’s Sept. 28 visit to Jerusalem’s most contested holy site, known to Jews as the Temple Mount and to Muslims as Haram al Sharif, and that Israel has responded to the fury with excessive force.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

Megan Wolfe, the executive director of the Snohomish County’s Girls on the Run, at her office on Thursday, Feb. 12, 2026 in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
SnoCo nonprofit teaches running and life skills simultaneously

Girls on the Run hopes to teach students confidence and people skills while getting them to be active.

Arlington
Man convicted of manslaughter after stabbing death of his friend on a camping trip

The third trial for Alexander Vanags, of Arlington, came to a close Thursday after five weeks in Whatcom County Superior Court.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.