Colton Harris-Moore sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison

SEATTLE – Colton Harris-Moore, the Camano Island man known worldwide for stealing planes and running barefoot from crime scenes, must set a “new flight plan,” a judge told him Friday.

U.S. District Court Judge Richard A. Jones sentenced Harris-Moore to serve 6 ½ years in prison as punishment for a two-year, multistate crime spree that included five plane thefts.

The prison time may be served concurrently with a seven-year state sentence imposed last month, the judge said.

“The reality is that you committed some very serious crimes that demand punishment,” Jones said.

Barefoot Bandit

‘High propaganda’: Prosecutors’ recent briefs alleged Colton Harris-Moore has no remorse for his crimes.

State sentencing: Our story from Harris-Moore’s Dec. 16 hearing in Coupeville.

Fly Colton Fly: Excerpts from Herald reporter Jackson Holtz’s book

Luck runs out: Coverage of his July 11, 2011, capture.

Myth vs. reality: A look at the facts about Harris-Moore.

Click here for our complete Colton Harris-Moore page.

Friday’s hearing likely is the last chapter in Harris-Moore’s journey through the federal and state judicial systems that began with his arrest in July 2010.

Once free from prison, the so-called Barefoot Bandit will be under federal supervision for three years, the judge ruled. That’s the maximum allowed, Assistant U.S. Attorney Darwin Roberts said.

John Henry Browne, Harris-Moore’s defense attorney, predicted that his client may be free in about 4 ½ years, if he’s given credit for good behavior in prison.

Jones gave his support to allow Harris-Moore to be locked up under the authority of the Washington State Department of Correction. Ultimately, the federal Bureau of Prisons must approve such a move.

Defense lawyers are trying to have Harris-Moore housed at the Monroe Correctional Complex so he may receive specialized therapy.

A psychiatrist hired by defense lawyers determined that Harris-Moore suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. The latter condition comes from exposure to alcohol while still in the womb.

On Friday Harris-Moore delivered a six-minute prepared speech to the court.

He apologized for his crimes and for the statements he made in jailhouse emails that were released in court documents Tuesday. The emails, made public by prosecutors, were taken out of context, Browne said earlier. They included comments calling the government’s case “high propaganda,” his sentence “political” and the police and prosecutors “swine,” “fools” and “asses.” He also likened his impact on aviation to that of the Wright brothers.

“I wish for nothing else but to make things right,” Harris-Moore said Friday. He said he was embarrassed by the statements and he acknowledged that he’d hurt people.

Piloting a plane had become his life’s dream, he said.

“I held a dream close. This dream kept me alive,” he said.

Linking his illicit flights to his heroes, the Wright brothers, was “foolish arrogance,” he said.

The story of the Barefoot Bandit, a slippery teenager who eluded capture and flew planes despite no formal training, created a media sensation.

Harris-Moore grew up on the south end of Camano Island where he had an alcoholic mother and a heroin-addicted father.

His criminal history began at 12 when he began stealing from neighbors for his dinner. Soon he set his sights on electronics, cash and credit cards.

In 2007, he made headlines in the Pacific Northwest when the Island County Sheriff’s Office released his mug in an effort to end a six-month burglary spree. He was arrested and sentenced to three years in juvenile rehab.

A year later, he escaped a halfway house near Seattle and returned to prowl the islands of the Pacific Northwest, sometimes running barefoot from his crimes. When officials announced in 2009 that he was a suspect in two plane thefts, the world took notice.

Within days a Facebook fan page attracted thousands and urged Harris-Moore, now known as the Barefoot Bandit, to “Fly, Colton, Fly.”

His crime wave extended into nine states and crossed into three countries before he was arrested in July 2010 in the Bahamas.

Along the way, he sometimes left messages and he rarely resorted to violence, although he frequently was armed.

Books and movies are in the works, including a deal that should help Harris-Moore pay about $1.3 million in restitution to his victims, but would prevent him from profiting.

While Harris-Moore evaded arrest, many people, especially teenagers, looked up to him.

On Friday, the judge asked Harris-Moore to address that audience.

“I should have died years ago,” Harris-Moore said, describing his life on the run as “extremely dangerous and terrifying.”

Being the subject of media scrutiny has been the “worst experience in my life,” he said.

Young people should focus on education, his current plan, he said.

“I want to make a difference, legally,” Harris-Moore said.

Friday was the first time that Pam Kohler, Harris-Moore’s mother, attended one of her son’s court hearings since his 2010 arrest.

Often quick with comments to the media, on Friday she refused to talk with reporters and even scuffled with photographers outside the courthouse.

Kelly Kneifl travelled from Yankton, S.D., to share in court the frightening story of his encounter with Harris-Moore early one morning in June 2010.

During a cross-country trek, Harris-Moore had paused at Kneifl’s home, breaking in while the family vacationed out of state.

The family arrived home to discover Harris-Moore in the shower. That set up an confrontation between the naked fugitive and frightened homeowner, Kneifl said.

Harris-Moore threatened to kill Kneifl, even though he was armed only with a laser pointer.

The bandit got away, but Kneifl said the intrusion left a shroud of terror over his family.

“It was very scary for my children,” Kneifl said.

Receiving a direct apology from Harris-Moore on Friday helped the man to feel a sense of closure, he said during a post-hearing press conference.

Harris-Moore’s offering of remorse Friday was too late, said Steven Dean, an FBI agent who worked the case. There were plenty of opportunities to surrender during more than two years on the lam.

When asked how the FBI agent would remember the Barefoot Bandit, Dean replied, “Why remember him?”

“Send him off to prison like any other offender.”

Harris-Moore is expected to be transferred from the Federal Detention Center in Sea-Tac to the state Department of Corrections on March 22, the day he turns 21.

Jackson Holtz: 425-339-3447; jholtz@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Oliver Popa, 7, poses with his book, "Drippey Plants a Garden," on Tuesday, March 25, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds 7-year-old publishes children’s book featuring ‘Drippey’ the bee

Oliver Popa’s first grade teacher said he should publish a longer version of a writing assignment. A year later, his mother — a publisher — helped made it happen.

Don Sharrett talks John Wrice through his trimming technique on Friday, March 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett barber school offers $5 haircuts — if you’re brave enough

Students get hands-on practice. Willing clients get a sweet deal.

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Percy Levy, who served 17 years for drug-related crimes, outside his new business Redemption Auto along Highway 99 on Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett man, arrested on drugs, weapons charges, moved to federal detention

In addition to Percy Levy, U.S. marshals transferred a second suspect in the case to federal custody.

2025 Emerging Leader Anthony Hawley (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Anthony Hawley: Creating friendships and filling pantries

Since 2021, Hawley has increased donations to Lake Stevens Community Food Bank through fundraising and building donor relationships.

Gary Petershagen
Lake Stevens council member announces reelection run

Gary Petershagen is seeking a third term on the council.

2025 Emerging Leader Megan Kemmett (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Megan Kemmett: Seeking solutions to any problem or obstacle

Executive director of Snohomish Community Food Bank overcomes obstacles to keep people fed.

Director for the Snohomish County Health Department Dennis Worsham leads a short exercise during the Edge of Amazing event on Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish County Health Department faces up to $3.4 million in cuts

The two federal grants provided funding for immunizations and disease prevention awareness efforts.

2025 Emerging Leader DeLon Lewis (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
DeLon Lewis: Helping students succeed

Program specialist for Everett Community College believes leadership is about building bridges.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett Public Schools breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.