Father charged in electrical shocking of his 5-year-old son

An arrest warrant has been issued for the man, who is facing trial for reckless endangerment.

An image from cellphone video taken by a bystander when a hydraulic lift hit electrical wires in Everett. (Everett Police Department)

An image from cellphone video taken by a bystander when a hydraulic lift hit electrical wires in Everett. (Everett Police Department)

EVERETT — Prosecutors have filed charges against a man whose 5-year-old son was shocked by power lines in downtown Everett.

The man, 34, now is facing trial for reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor defined as creating a “substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to another person.”

The man recently skipped a court hearing, and a warrant was issued for his arrest. The Daily Herald is not naming him because he shares a last name with his son, who is the victim of the alleged crime.

Police allege that he took his son to a work site near Colby Avenue on June 22. He then reportedly loaded them both into a hydraulic lift that he raised into the power lines.

Witnesses said the man didn’t seem to know how to use the machinery.

Since the incident, there have been new custody proceedings within the family. There also has been scrutiny from Child Protective Services and the state Department of Labor & Industries.

The man’s ex-partner has gone to court seeking to amend their parenting arrangement. She says the boy nearly died and suffered second-degree burns to his face.

The woman in July sought a domestic violence protection order, citing the child’s injuries. She sought to end the father’s visitation rights until his criminal and CPS cases are resolved.

The protection order was denied by a court commissioner, who said there were no allegations of domestic violence. The woman was referred to family court.

Earlier this month, the woman filed another petition, this time for a new parenting plan for their three young children, including the injured boy. She alleged substance abuse by the father.

CPS declined to discuss the agency’s involvement.

Last week, L&I said it had finished looking into the company, Global X Group LLC of Kenmore, which had a recent history of safety violations. No additional violations were found in August, according to public records.

The notice to the company included a message that the keys should not be left in the lift unsupervised.

The man’s criminal charge was filed in Everett Municipal Court. He missed his arraignment on Aug. 17, prompting the warrant.

He’s had another recent run-in with police as well.

The man was cited by Everett officers in April for driving without a license and without insurance, according to court records. Last month, the fines for $1,100 were sent to collections.

Rikki King: 425-339-3449; rking@heraldnet.com; Twitter: @rikkiking.

Talk to us

More in Local News

State: Held up jobless claims to be resolved by end of month

Just under 35,000 people are still waiting for resolution of their claims for unemployment benefits.

Everett’s Grand Avenue bridge getting closer to opening

Construction is set to finish later this month. But don’t expect a grand opening party.

Governor’s no-mask, no-service order begins across Washington

“Just do not ring up the sale,” Gov. Jay Inslee said about customers who do not don the proper masks.

8-mile detour for Highway 9 roundabout work starts Thursday

The intersection of Highway 9 and 108th Street Northeast in Marysville will close until Monday.

Kenmore woman reportedly shot in knee near Mill Creek

A passing driver took the victim and her boyfriend to Swedish Mill Creek Hospital.

Everett wants a look at I-5, U.S. 2 interchange options

The city approved a $2.3 million study of the busy interchange, with an eye on alleviating backups.

Over 100 forced to disperse as Everett evicts homeless camp

The ACLU urged city leaders not to sweep the stopgap camp off Rucker Avenue. It was cleared Thursday afternoon.

Humpback whale hit by Mukilteo ferry, Chip, is presumed dead

The whale, age 3, has not been seen since being struck Monday. His companion was later seen alone.

Most Read