Granite Falls defendant says he didn’t mean for victim to die

EVERETT — Within seconds of taking the witness stand Monday morning a murder defendant admitted to fatally shooting another man in 2015.

The killing wasn’t premeditated, George Hatt Jr. said. He didn’t intend to kill Andrew Spencer, the defendant added. He believed Spencer had a gun when he saw Spencer kicking and punching his friend.

“I thought he was going to shoot me or my buddy,” Hatt said. Later Hatt admitted that Spencer was not armed with a gun, although he said he found a metal bar in the slain man’s hand after Spencer had fallen from a shot to the head.

Hatt, 50, was on the witness stand most of the day as his attorney walked him through the months leading up to the deadly shooting on a remote piece of Granite Falls property, where felons were known to squat.

Jurors are expected to hear closing arguments Tuesday and begin deliberations.

Spencer, 32, was missing for more than a week before Snohomish County sheriff’s detectives unearthed his remains in a makeshift grave on the property. Hatt is accused of burying the slain man in a fire pit, where a fire was kept burning for several days. Photographs of the scene show lawn chairs pulled up around the pit.

Hatt is charged with first-degree murder. Prosecutors allege that Hatt shot Spencer in retaliation for a burglary at the house where he and his girlfriend were living.

Hatt had made it known that he was angry and blamed Spencer for the break-in. He estimated that more than $40,000 worth of property was taken. The defendant on Monday confirmed telling others in his circle of friends that he was out to get Spencer.

Witnesses testified that Hatt had told them he was looking for Spencer. Hatt denied that he’d been hunting the other man, saying he knew where he lived and could have easily gone to his house.

Hatt told jurors that he’d been warned to stay away from Spencer. He’d heard that Spencer was frequently armed. He also testified that he believed that Spencer was connected to an outlaw motorcycle gang and a prison gang.

Hatt said he believed Spencer broke into his house a second time and drew a swastika on a wall, along with the message, “Go home Jew.” Hatt is Jewish. He testified that the vandalism happened after Spencer clobbered him outside a gas station.

Hatt said those events led him to purchase a gun. Hatt said he was worried about his safety and that of his girlfriend and family. The defendant is a convicted felon who isn’t allowed to possess firearms.

The beef, however, seemed settled after Spencer visited the property a couple days before his death. Hatt told jurors the two men talked things over and their conversation ended cordially with a handshake. He said he asked Spencer not to come back.

Jurors were told that Spencer returned to the property a day or so later. Hatt’s buddy testified that he was working on a vehicle when Spencer pulled up. He said Spencer went to shake his hand and punched him in the face.

Hatt said he saw the assault and grabbed his gun from his safe. He went outside, yelling at Spencer. He said his shouts drew Spencer’s attention and the assault stopped. He testified that he believed he saw a gun in Spencer’s hand. He said he fired a warning shot and then thought Spencer was coming at him. He quickly fired again, hitting Spencer in the head.

Snohomish County deputy prosecutor Hal Hupp questioned Hatt’s actions in those moments. If he believed Spencer was armed with a gun and a true danger to him and his friend, why did he choose to fire a warning shot?

“You weren’t trying to hit him?” Hupp asked.

“I’m not one to kill anyone, no,” Hatt said.

Hatt told jurors he didn’t call 911 and didn’t report the shooting. He said he was afraid of going to jail.

Hatt and his friend dug a hole in a fire pit and buried Spencer. Hatt admitted to jumping on the grave to pack dirt. He also admitted to starting a fire on top of the makeshift grave. They dumped Spencer’s car a few miles away on a Forest Service road.

Spencer’s remains went undiscovered until his family and friends forced Hatt’s friend to go to Snohomish County sheriff’s detectives. He led detectives to Spencer’s body.

Hatt admitted Monday that he wrote a letter from jail after his arrest, filled with lies. He was primarily trying to devise a plan to point the finger at the man who helped him destroy evidence and hide Spencer’s body. He wrote about making sure the witnesses didn’t show up for trial.

Hatt told jurors he was trying to deflect his culpability out of fear that his girlfriend and family would be harmed. Jurors had not been allowed to hear evidence that the house he lived in was set on fire after Spencer was killed.

“You take care of business yourself, right?” Hupp asked.

“I’m not going to call the cops,” Hatt answered.

Diana Hefley: 425-339-3463;

Talk to us

More in Local News

A man was injured and a woman found dead Sunday night after an RV fire in Marysville. (Marysville Fire District)
Man burned, woman found dead after RV fire in Marysville

The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office and Marysville Police Department were investigating the cause of the fire.

Herald publisher Rudi Alcott
A note from the publisher

The Daily Herald publisher Rudi Alcott discusses our new publishing schedule and newspaper delivery by mail.

A section of contaminated Wicks tidelands on Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Port acquisition marks next step in toxic cleanup on Everett waterfront

Private owners donated land near the contaminated Wicks Tide Flats to the Port of Everett. Cleanup work could begin within the year.

A person and child watch seagulls on the Mukilteo-Clinton ferry in Washington on Thursday, Jan. 12, 2023. (Annie Barker / The Herald)
Cold weather returning to Western Washington

Nightly temperatures in the 20s with highs in the 30s were expected this weekend. Cold weather shelters will be open.

U.S. Attorney Nick Brown and the victim of a brutal attack in 2018 answer questions from reporters on Jan. 27, 2023 in Seattle, Washington. (Jake Goldstein-Street / The Herald)
White supremacists sentenced for racist beating at Lynnwood bar

A federal judge handed out stiffer sentences than prosecutors had asked for in a series of sentencing hearings Friday.

FILE - In this photo taken Oct. 2, 2018, semi-automatic rifles fill a wall at a gun shop in Lynnwood, Wash. Gov. Jay Inslee is joining state Attorney General Bob Ferguson to propose limits to magazine capacity and a ban on the sale of assault weapons. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson, File)
Democrats advance assault weapons ban, new rules for gun buyers

The measures passed a House committee without Republican support. They are part of a broader agenda to curb gun violence.

Traffic moves along Highway 526 in front of Boeing’s Everett Production Facility on Nov. 28, 2022, in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / Sound Publishing)
Boeing settles with Everett security guard claiming chemical exposure

Holly Hawthorne was assigned to Building 45-335 at the south end of Paine Field, while employees used aerosolized chemical sprays nearby.

Marysville Mayor Jon Nehring is this year's winner of the Henry M. Jackson Award given by Economic Alliance Snohomish County. Photographed in Marysville, Washington on April 25, 2022. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
Marysville State of the City address set for Feb. 1

Mayor Jon Nehring will highlight 2022 accomplishments and look to the future. Questions from the audience will follow.

Construction continues on the Mountlake Terrace Transit Center on Monday, Jan. 9, 2023 in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Paved path, plaza coming to Mountlake Terrace near light rail

The public space additions are envisioned as boosting access to the Mountlake Terrace Transit Center.

Most Read