Israelis invade Gaza refugee camp and Ramallah in West Bank

By Ibrahim Barzak

Associated Press

JEBALIYA REFUGEE CAMP, Gaza Strip – Israel intensified its offensive against Palestinian militants – the largest military operation in 20 years – killing 28 Palestinians in raids Tuesday on refugee camps and other targets. Seven Israeli motorists were killed in shooting attacks.

Six of the Israelis were killed when up to five gunmen opened fire on cars near Kibbutz Metsuba, a communal farm near the border with Lebanon. Israeli troops killed two gunman, and Israeli television said later that a third was caught. Police initially said the gunmen crossed from Lebanon, but the army later said there was no sign of an incursion across the border.

The shootings were apparently in retaliation for Israel’s offensive, launched last week after a series of deadly attacks on Israeli civilians.

Israeli security sources said Tuesday that most combat soldiers in Israel’s standing army and some reserve troops – a force of many thousands – were deployed in the West Bank and Gaza Strip in the largest-scale operation since Israel’s 1982 invasion of Lebanon. In the West Bank town of Ramallah alone, dozens of tanks were patrolling the streets.

Deputy Defense Minister Dalia Rabin-Pelossof, a moderate and daughter of late Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, said she expected the strikes to be halted by the time U.S. envoy Anthony Zinni arrives in the region Thursday. Two previous truce missions by Zinni were scuttled by violence.

As the fighting raged, two Cabinet ministers from the ultra-nationalist National Union party submitted their resignation, saying they felt Prime Minister Ariel Sharon’s actions against the Palestinian Authority were not tough enough. Sharon retains a solid parliamentary majority – 75 out of 120 seats – despite the protest.

On Monday evening, about 50,000 Israelis demonstrated in Tel Aviv, calling for stiffer action against the Palestinians. “Defeat Arafat, destroy terror,” banners read.

In Tuesday’s fighting, the Jebaliya refugee camp – the largest, with 100,000 residents, and a stronghold of the Islamic militant group Hamas – came under heavy Israeli fire from tanks and helicopter gunships during a three-hour incursion. The camp was plunged in darkness when Israeli fire struck a transformer.

Hundreds of Palestinian gunmen exchanged fire with Israeli forces, and at least 18 Palestinians were killed and 75 wounded by Israeli fire, doctors said. Many civilians, some in their pajamas, fled the fighting, moving toward nearby Gaza City on foot and in donkey carts. “They are killing us,” said Laila Ayoub, 38, carrying a baby girl in her arms. “They used helicopters to fire on us while we were leaving.”

Israeli government spokesman Dore Gold said Israel was showing restraint and “not using the full strength of its air force against the refugee camps.”

Israeli tanks also took control of Ramallah and the adjacent Amari refugee camp, where fierce gunbattles were reported. Five Palestinians, including two policemen, two unarmed guards at the parliament building and a taxi driver, were killed by Israeli fire, doctors said.

Several tanks were deployed outside the headquarters of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. The takeover came only a day after Sharon announced that Arafat, who had been confined to Ramallah for the past three months by Israel, was free to move in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

In an angry response, a senior Arafat adviser, Ahmed Abdel Rahman, said Tuesday that “talking peace with the Israelis was a historic mistake.” Abdel Rahman said he was confined to his home because of heavy Israeli tank fire.

Israeli troops announced over loudspeakers that boys and men between the ages of 16 and 40 must come out of their homes and surrender to Israeli forces in Ramallah. Local TV stations urged the men not to comply.

Over the weekend, Israeli forces up rounded up nearly 2,000 Palestinians in sweeps of three other West Bank locations, in hopes of tracking down suspected militants. In the Tulkarem refugee camp, troops wrote numbers on the foreheads and forearms of several detainees for identification.

Arafat equated the action with the treatment of Jews in Nazi concentration camps during World War II, when numbers were tattooed on the arms of prisoners as a means of identification.

“Isn’t this the sort of thing they used to say the Nazis did against the Jews?” Arafat said of the numbers written on the Palestinians, speaking Monday on Abu Dhabi Television. “So what do they say about these things? Isn’t this a new Nazi racism?”

Army officials rejected Arafat’s accusation, saying it was aimed at stirring up passions and encouraging his followers to carry out more attacks. The army chief said Tuesday he ordered the practice stopped.

Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres said Tuesday that “we have to be careful not to humiliate (people), not to treat human beings with contempt,” adding that he believed Arafat felt humiliated by the Israeli actions.

Israel’s offensive began last week, after a string of attacks by Palestinian militants on Israeli civilians. Since the beginning of March, 159 Palestinians and 58 Israelis have been killed, making it the bloodiest period since fighting broke out in September 2000.

In Tuesday’s shooting in northern Israel, helicopters fired in to the hills after the gunmen started shooting cars. Security forces battled the attackers for more than hour and were still pursuing any fugitive attackers. Another shooting in the West Bank left a motorist dead.

Israel’s incursion into Jebaliya ended before dawn Tuesday. The Israeli military said it was aimed at finding rockets, destroying weapons factories and arresting suspected terrorists.

Palestinians huddled in terror in cinderblock hovels or fled into the darkness as Israeli tanks rumbled into the Gaza Strip’s biggest and most crowded refugee camp.

A Hamas leader, Abdel Aziz Rantisi, threatened bloody revenge. “We have no choice but to kill the occupier, to kill him everywhere, every village and every city. There’s no other way to defend ourselves,” he said.

In the camp, troops destroyed four buildings, including two metal workshops and the home of Ibrahim Hassouna, a member of the Al Aqsa Brigades militia who killed three Israelis in a shooting attack on a Tel Aviv restaurant last week before being killed by police. The army said the metal workshops produced mortar shells.

Elsewhere in the Gaza Strip, Israeli helicopters shelled a metal workshop and a Palestinian security installation in the Khan Yunis refugee camp, killing four Palestinian civilians, including three members of a family.

In the Deir el Balah refugee camp, Israeli gunboats and helicopters shelled a Palestinian security installation, killing a policeman.

Copyright ©2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

A Flock Safety camera on the corner of 64th Avenue West and 196th Street Southwest on Oct. 28, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett seeks SnoCo judgment that Flock footage is not public record

The filing comes after a Skagit County judge ruled Flock footage is subject to records requests. That ruling is under appeal.

Lynnwood City Council members gather for a meeting on Monday, March 17, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Lynnwood raises property, utility taxes amid budget shortfall

The council approved a 24% property tax increase, lower than the 53% it was allowed to enact without voter approval.

The recent Olympic Pipeline leak spilled an undisclosed amount of jet fuel into a drainage ditch near Lowell-Snohomish River Road in Snohomish. (Photo courtesy BP)
BP’s Olympic Pipeline partially restarted after a nearly two-week shutdown

The pipeline is once again delivering fuel to Sea-Tac airport, and airlines have resumed normal operations.

Lynnwood
Lynnwood hygiene center requires community support to remain open

The Jean Kim Foundation needs to raise $500,000 by the end of the year. The center provides showers to people experiencing homelessness.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Vending machines offer hope in Snohomish County in time for the holidays.

Mariners’ radio announcer Rick Rizzs will help launch a Light The World Giving Machine Tuesday in Lynnwood. A second will be available in Arlington on Dec. 13.

UW student from Mukilteo receives Rhodes Scholarship

Shubham Bansal, who grew up in Mukilteo, is the first UW student to receive the prestigous scholarship since 2012.

Roger Sharp looks over memorabilia from the USS Belknap in his home in Marysville on Nov. 14, 2025. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
‘A gigantic inferno’: 50 years later, Marysville vet recalls warship collision

The USS Belknap ran into the USS John F. Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1975. The ensuing events were unforgettable.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County man files suit against SIG SAUER over alleged defect in P320

The lawsuit filed Monday alleges the design of one of the handguns from the manufacturer has led to a “slew of unintended discharges” across the country.

The Everett City Council on Oct. 22, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett approves $613 million budget for 2026

No employees will be laid off. The city will pause some pension contributions and spend one-time funds to prevent a $7.9 million deficit.

Kicking Gas Campaign Director Derek Hoshiko stands for a portrait Thursday, Sep. 7, 2023, in Langley, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Climate justice group Kicking Gas is expanding efforts to Snohomish County

The nonprofit aims to switch residents to electrical appliances and can help cover up to 75% of installation costs.

Gretchen Clark Bower explains that each sticky hand hanging from the ceiling was stuck there by a child that came through the exam room at the Providence Intervention Center on Nov. 21, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Providence relies on philanthropy for county’s only forensic nursing center

The Providence Intervention Center for Assault and Abuse serves adults and children affected by sexual or physical violence.

Santa Claus walks through the crowd while giving out high-fives during Wintertide on Nov. 28, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Winter wonderland: Everett lights up downtown with annual tree lighting

Hundreds packed the intersection of Colby Avenue and Hewitt Avenue on Friday night to ring in the holiday season.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.