Long-escaped prisoner plans for freedom again

Associated Press

HARDWICK, Ga. — When J.C. Fuller complained to a guard that he saw poisonous cottonmouth snakes in a stream where his convict road gang had been ordered to work, the guard shrugged and told him, "There’s the road … "

"I hit the road the next morning," Fuller said.

The escaped convict enjoyed freedom for the next 47 years, the longest any Georgia inmate has ever been on the lam.

Authorities tracked him down last year in Miami, where he had been living under his real name, working in construction and "staying out of trouble."

"The good Lord just blessed me to stay out," said the 76-year-old Fuller, who now has a month left to serve on his original four-year sentence for attempted murder. "I worked, I went to church and I went fishing. I had to be doing all right to stay out that long."

Fuller, who was given no additional prison time for his escape, said he was never concerned about getting caught.

"I voted for President Carter and President Clinton. I worked. I had a little money, clothes and a place to stay. I didn’t have anything to worry about," he said.

The Georgia Department of Corrections’ fugitive squad tracked Fuller down during a review of old case files early last year.

Fuller is serving out his sentence at the Hardwick Men’s Prison, home to 650 elderly men, in a large brick building surrounded by a chain-link fence topped with coils of silvery razor wire.

Fuller said his original legal problems began one Sunday morning when he rejected his girlfriend’s invitation to go to church and instead went out drinking. Later, when his girlfriend became enraged because she saw him talking to a female acquaintance, they fought and his shotgun went off.

"The shotgun went off, in a way, by me drinking," he said. "If I hadn’t been drinking, it wouldn’t have happened."

In 1952, when he was 29, Fuller was sentenced to four years in prison and was sent to the Thomas County Public Works Camp in Thomasville.

Now that he’s close to his release, Fuller hopes to return to his childhood home in Wilcox County, about 40 miles southeast of Macon, where he grew up picking cotton and thrashing peanuts on his grandmother’s farm.

"I think I’ll buy a trailer and go fishing," he said.

Copyright ©2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Oliver Popa, 7, poses with his book, "Drippey Plants a Garden," on Tuesday, March 25, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds 7-year-old publishes children’s book featuring ‘Drippey’ the bee

Oliver Popa’s first grade teacher said he should publish a longer version of a writing assignment. A year later, his mother — a publisher — helped made it happen.

Don Sharrett talks John Wrice through his trimming technique on Friday, March 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett barber school offers $5 haircuts — if you’re brave enough

Students get hands-on practice. Willing clients get a sweet deal.

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

2025 Emerging Leader DeLon Lewis (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
DeLon Lewis: Helping students succeed

Program specialist for Everett Community College believes leadership is about building bridges.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett district breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Another positive measles case identified in Snohomish County

The case was identified in an infant who likely contracted measles while traveling, the county health department said.

A Tesla drives along 41st Street on Wednesday, March 26, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Washington faces uncertain future of Clean Air Act regulations

The Trump administration’s attempt to roll back numerous vehicle pollution standards has left states wondering what’s next.

A person walks through the lot at Kia of Everett shopping for a car on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
‘The tariffs made me do it’: Customers move fast on cars

At one Everett dealership, customers move fast on cars ahead of Wednesday’s expected announcement on tariffs.

Public’s help needed to find missing Arlington man

The 21-year-old left the house Sunday night without his shoes, cell phone or a jacket, and was reported missing the following morning.

Will Geschke / The Herald
The Marysville Tulalip Campus on the Tulalip Reservation, where Legacy High School is located.
Marysville board votes to keep Legacy High at current location

The move rolls back a decision the school board made in January to move the alternative high school at the start of next school year.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.