Mideast cease-fire set up

Associated Press

GAZA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, Gaza Strip – In a somber meeting marked by skepticism on both sides, Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat and Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres announced plans Wednesday to formalize a shaky cease-fire and end a year of Mideast fighting.

But even as the leaders met in the southern Gaza Strip, shooting broke out just a few miles away, killing a 16-year-old boy in the Rafah refugee camp.

And just before midnight Wednesday, four Israeli tanks and a bulldozer advanced toward the Rafah camp, Palestinian security officials said. The camp was shelled and hit by heavy machine gun fire, and the bulldozer began demolishing a house, the officials said.

Palestinian gunmen returned fire. In the exchange, a 23-year-old Palestinian was killed and 11 others wounded, doctors said.

The Israeli army said it was checking the report.

The United States had been pressing hard for the cease-fire meeting, and the two sides agreed to resume security cooperation that had long since collapsed.

“No one came with great joy, and everyone has grounds to worry if this agreement will be implemented on the ground, but it was an important meeting,” Peres said afterward.

One difference quickly emerged: The Israelis want five weeks of calm as a testing period before moving ahead with confidence-building steps, while the Palestinians want to limit the period to two weeks, a Palestinian spokesman said.

In a joint statement afterward, the leaders pledged to resume security coordination, with another Peres-Arafat meeting expected in about a week.

A major test of the truce will come Friday when Palestinians plan to mark the first anniversary of the fighting with marches across the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Such marches often lead to confrontations with Israeli troops.

Copyright ©2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

Clothing Optional performs at the Fisherman’s Village Music Festival on Thursday, May 15 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Everett music festival to end after 12 years

The Everett Music Initiative is ending the Fisherman’s Village Music Festival, the nonprofit’s flagship event that was first held in 2014.

Arlington Mayor Don Vanney tours the city’s Volunteers of America Western Washington food distribution center. (Provided photo)
Arlington food center receives 32,000-pound donation

The gift will be distributed to food banks across Snohomish County, providing more than 26,000 meals.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.