Nation braces for more terrorism

Herald news services

WASHINGTON — "I know many Americans feel fear today," President Bush said Sunday. Truer words were never spoken.

The military campaign now under way exposes Americans to retaliation from the same shadowy forces who engineered the Sept. 11 suicide attacks that killed more than 5,000.

From state capitols to football stadiums to hundreds of ports, the nation stepped up already heightened security precautions Sunday, with the FBI urging local agencies to their highest alert and the Coast Guard expanding to its largest defense operation since World War II.

Within hours of the first strikes on Afghanistan by American and British forces, police shut down the street in front of the State Department in Washington, D.C.; Missouri shut the doors at its state capitol to visitors; Utah state troopers were shifted from their desks to the highways; and airport officials in Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City and elsewhere further tightened safeguards.

ADVERTISEMENT
0 seconds of 0 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
00:00
00:00
 

In New York, Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said more security checkpoints were set up Sunday, but that no bridges, tunnels or public places would be closed unless there was a specific threat. He said today’s Columbus Day Parade will go on as planned.

The FBI on Sunday urged local law enforcement agencies nationwide to move to their highest level of alert, and "be prepared to respond to any act of terrorism or violence." There were no specific threats, FBI officials said.

The nation’s major ports and many waterways were placed under the largest defense operation since World War II, the Coast Guard said as it expanded armed defense. And a heightened level of security was put in place for the Energy Department’s facilities, including nuclear weapons laboratories and nuclear materials storage areas.

The terrorists could revert to form, and strike Americans overseas. The State Department issued a worldwide alert Sunday, warning of the possibility of "strong anti-American sentiment and retaliatory actions against U.S. citizens and interests throughout the world."

"People are scared," said Charles Jones, a presidential historian from Wisconsin. "Never before, at least not since we killed each other in the Civil War, have we had to face the possibility that military engagement will lead directly to domestic casualties."

Those days are over.

Earlier in the week, U.S. authorities had said that the nation faced a "100 percent" chance of new terrorist activity, whether or not military action began.

In a nationally televised speech announcing the attacks, President Bush sought to reassure Americans that "our government is taking strong precautions" against future terrorist attacks and that "all law enforcement and intelligence agencies are working aggressively around America, around the world and around the clock."

Former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge takes over today as director of the newly created White House Office of Homeland Security and will be responsible for coordinating the anti-terrorism activities of nearly 50 federal agencies and departments and the work of state governments.

Federal, state and local officials who have been on a crisis footing since the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon said Sunday that they have taken unprecedented steps to guard against fresh terrorist attacks and that there are limits to what more can be done.

"You cannot defend at every place, at every time, against every conceivable, imaginable — even unimaginable — terrorist attack," Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said at a Pentagon news conference.

Phil Coyle, senior adviser at the Center for Defense Information, a Washington, D.C., think tank, said Osama bin Laden or other terrorists are likely to strike again at symbols of American might, or perhaps trains or utilities. All are just the kind of "soft spots" that bin Laden spoke of with derision.

"What happened on Sept. 11 was our own enterprise, our own commerce, our own technologies were turned against us," Coyle said. "These were our aircraft, our office buildings — which represent our success — and they were turned into weapons against us."

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Edmonds Mayor Mike Rosen gives his State of the City address on Thursday, March 20 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds mayor talks budget at 2025 State of the City

Mayor Mike Rosen discussed the city’s deficit and highlights from his first year in office.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett district breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Another positive measles case identified in Snohomish County

The case was identified in an infant who likely contracted measles while traveling, the county health department said.

A Tesla drives along 41st Street on Wednesday, March 26, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Washington faces uncertain future of Clean Air Act regulations

The Trump administration’s attempt to roll back numerous vehicle pollution standards has left states wondering what’s next.

A person walks through the lot at Kia of Everett shopping for a car on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
‘The tariffs made me do it’: Customers move fast on cars

At one Everett dealership, customers move fast on cars ahead of Wednesday’s expected announcement on tariffs.

Public’s help needed to find missing Arlington man

The 21-year-old left the house Sunday night without his shoes, cell phone or a jacket, and was reported missing the following morning.

Will Geschke / The Herald
The Marysville Tulalip Campus on the Tulalip Reservation, where Legacy High School is located.
Marysville board votes to keep Legacy High at current location

The move rolls back a decision the school board made in January to move the alternative high school at the start of next school year.

The former Marysville City Hall building along State Avenue on Tuesday, April 30, 2024 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
City of Marysville, school board amend property exchange

The city will relocate its public works facility to the district’s current headquarters, which will move to the former City Hall.

Snohomish County Elections employees Alice Salcido, left and Joseph Rzeckowski, right, pull full bins of ballots from the Snohomish County Campus ballot drop box on Monday, Nov. 4, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
County to mail ballots for Edmonds, Brier elections

Registered voters should receive their ballots by April 9 for the April 22 special election.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.