New videotape adds to bin Laden mystery

By John Lumpkin

Associated Press

WASHINGTON — U.S. intelligence hasn’t picked up any credible signs of Osama bin Laden’s whereabouts in about two weeks, and officials on Wednesday scoured a newly aired videotape of him that contains clues suggesting it was made around the time he vanished.

U.S. officials suspect one of three possibilities: Bin Laden is dead, killed by U.S. bombs or his own followers; he’s hiding in a cave in the Tora Bora area of Afghanistan; or he is fleeing through Pakistan. That leaves U.S. forces and their allies hunting through the caves of Tora Bora unsure whether they’ll find a body or a live target — if bin Laden is there at all.

The video excerpts that emerged Wednesday on Arabic TV station al-Jazeera add to the mystery.

In them, bin Laden hails the Sept. 11 hijacking as a "blessed attack against the international infidels" and makes several comments that suggest the tape was made between late November and mid-December.

Bin Laden refers to the Sept. 11 attacks as "three months ago," and says the U.S. bombings that began Oct. 7 are two months old. He also mentions a Nov. 16 U.S. airstrike in Khost, Afghanistan, as having occurred "several days" before.

The gaunt bin Laden appears stiff, and, though left-handed, he uses only his right hand to gesture. A U.S. official said his pasty complexion suggested he hadn’t seen much sunlight recently.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan dismissed the tape. "This is nothing more than the same kind of terrorist propaganda we’ve heard before." He did not know whether government analysts had determined when the tape was made, nor whether bin Laden might be injured on it.

U.S. intelligence sources — from electronic intercepts to trusted reporting — have been silent on bin Laden’s whereabouts since the height of U.S. bombing in Tora Bora about two weeks ago, when U.S. forces picked up a short-range radio broadcast of a voice believed to be bin Laden’s, giving orders to his troops in the Tora Bora area.

The transmission was not recorded, and officials acknowledge it may have been a ruse, but it was seen as a major clue to his whereabouts.

If bin Laden had been killed — either by U.S. bombings or by his own followers as a martyr — someone would have probably talked about it by now over communications channels monitored by military and intelligence agencies. In November, U.S. officials initially learned that top bin Laden lieutenant Mohammed Atef was killed through eavesdropped communications.

Army Col. Rick Thomas, a spokesman for Central Command, said Wednesday only that bin Laden "remains unlocated."

It’s possible al-Qaida survivors are in deep hiding, observing rigid discipline with their communications to avoid giving away their whereabouts. U.S. officials also consider it less likely that the leadership was so devastated by U.S. bombing that no one is left to talk.

A few hundred al-Qaida fighters are believed to have escaped into Pakistan, possibly with bin Laden. More fleeing al-Qaida members were captured by Pakistan’s forces at the border. In Tora Bora, a few isolated pockets of resistance remain, as do many deep caves complexes that have been bombed but not searched.

Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf said in China a few days ago that he was "reasonably sure" bin Laden was killed by U.S. bombs at Tora Bora.

U.S. officials don’t believe bin Laden has moved beyond Afghanistan and Pakistan, though they have mentioned Somalia, Chechnya or Sudan as possible destinations. U.S. and allied warships are patrolling nearby seas, ready to search vessels thought to contain the terrorist leader.

On Wednesday, U.S. forces launched 70 to 80 sorties from the USS Theodore Roosevelt in the Arabian Sea, but for the fourth consecutive day, no warplanes dropped bombs, ship spokesman Lt. John Oliveira said.

Copyright ©2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

More frequent service coming for Community Transit buses

As part of a regular update to its service hours, the agency will boost the frequencies of its Swift lines and other popular routes.

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in Snohomish County, and the Human Services Department is seeking applications. (File photo)
Applicants sought for housing programs in Snohomish County

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in… Continue reading

The newly rebuilt section of Index-Galena Road is pictured on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2023, near Index, Washington. (Jordan Hansen / The Herald)
Snohomish County honored nationally for Index-Galena road repair

The county Public Works department coordinated with multiple entities to repair a stretch of road near Index washed out by floods in 2006.

Birch, who was an owner surrender and now currently has an adoption pending, pauses on a walk with volunteer Cody McClellan at PAWS Lynnwood on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Pet surrenders up due to rising cost of living, shelter workers say

Compared to this time last year, dog surrenders are up 37% at the Lynnwood PAWS animal shelter.

Pedestrians cross the intersection of Evergreen Way and Airport Road on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
In Snohomish County, pedestrian fatalities continue a troublesome trend

As Everett and other cities eye new traffic safety measures, crashes involving pedestrians show little signs of decreasing.

The Mountlake Terrace City Council discusses the Flock Safety license plate camera system on Thursday, June 5, 2025 in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Mountlake Terrace public express ongoing ire with future Flock system

The city council explored installing a new advisory committee for stronger safety camera oversight.

Crane Aerospace & Electronics volunteer Dylan Goss helps move branches into place between poles while assembling an analog beaver dam in North Creek on Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Adopt A Stream volunteers build analog beaver dams in North Creek

The human-engineered structures will mimic natural dams in an effort to restore creek health in an increasingly urbanized area.

Ferries pass on a crossing between Mukilteo and Whidbey Island. (Andy Bronson / Herald file)
State commission approves rate hike for ferry trips

Ticket prices are set to rise about 6% over the next two years.

I-90 viewed from the Ira Springs Trail in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forrest. Photo by Conor Wilson/Valley Record.
Department of Ag advances plan to rescind Roadless Rule

Rescinding the 26 year-old-law would open 45 million acres of national forest to potential logging, including 336,000 acres of Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie.

Olivia Vanni / The Herald
Hunter Lundeen works on a backside 5-0 at Cavalero Hill Skate Park on 2022 in Lake Stevens.
Snohomish County Council voted unanimously to donate park to Lake Stevens

The city couldn’t maintain the park when Cavalero Hill was annexed into the city in 2009. Now it can.

Merrilee Moore works with glass at Schack Art Center in Everett, Washington on Friday, Sept. 15, 2023. (Annie Barker / The Herald)
Portion of $10M grant boosts Snohomish County arts organizations

The 44 local organizations earned $8,977 on average in unrestricted funds to support fundraising and salaries.

Henry M. Jackson High School on Thursday, Aug. 28, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Mill Creek family throws $489k into Everett school board races

Board members denounced the spending. The family alleges a robotics team is too reliant on adults, but district reports have found otherwise.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.