Pope meeting with Irish churchmen after abuse report

VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI meets today with Ireland’s top churchmen following the publication of a damning report detailing decades of rapes, humiliation and beatings at church-run reform schools in Ireland for castaway children.

The Vatican said the pontiff would meet in a private audience with Cardinal Sean Brady of Armagh and Dublin Archbishop Diarmuid Martin.

The Vatican hasn’t yet commented on the Irish government-funded independent report, which last month detailed “endemic” molestation and rape at church-run boys facilities and ritualized beatings at girls’ schools from the 1930s to the 1990s.

The 2,600-page report — which took nine years to compile and was resisted by Roman Catholic religious orders that ran the facilities — concluded that church officials shielded their orders’ pedophiles from arrest amid a culture of self-serving secrecy.

It was the latest damning report about the generations of abuse young people suffered at the hands of religious men and women in church or at church-run schools and facilities around the world.

American dioceses have paid more than $2.6 billion in abuse-related costs since 1950. The Catholic Church in Canada has paid $79 million to native Canadians who were physically and sexually abused at church-run boarding schools they were forced to attend.

Benedict has met with American, Canadian and Australian victims. He has apologized for their anguish, prayed for their healing and denounced the “filth” in the priesthood that permitted such abuse.

In 2006, Benedict told Irish bishops that the Catholic Church must urgently rebuild trust damaged by clerical sex abuse. He urged them to establish truth of what happened in the past, prevent it from recurring, ensure justice is respected and bring healing to the victims.

On Thursday, the 18 religious orders implicated in the Irish report bowed to government pressure and pledged to allow external audits of their finances and to establish an entirely new compensation fund for the 14,000 victims.

The groups, however, didn’t commit to any specific new financial figure.

Victims’ advocates claim the orders have been using sophisticated financial shell games to hide their true net worth. They say church groups should foot half of the compensation bill, which now exceeds euro1.1 billion ($1.5 billion).

In 2002, when the congregations were denying the scale of the child abuse and the investigation was just beginning, the orders negotiated a controversial deal with the government that capped the church’s contribution to victims at euro128 million ($180 million). In exchange, the government established a compensation system that required victims to surrender their rights to sue the church and state in exchange for payouts averaging euro65,000.

After claims flooded in from Ireland and around the world, the estimated total bill to taxpayers ballooned to euro1.1 billion ($1.5 billion).

Church leaders admit they haven’t even reached their euro128 million commitment — despite owning a property portfolio of schools, hospitals and other assets worth more than euro500 million.

The Irish Bishops’ Conference said Brady was in Rome to brief the Vatican on the impact of the report on the Irish church. Martin was joining him, after attending previously scheduled meetings on other issues.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

Megan Wolfe, the executive director of the Snohomish County’s Girls on the Run, at her office on Thursday, Feb. 12, 2026 in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
SnoCo nonprofit teaches running and life skills simultaneously

Girls on the Run hopes to teach students confidence and people skills while getting them to be active.

Arlington
Man convicted of manslaughter after stabbing death of his friend on a camping trip

The third trial for Alexander Vanags, of Arlington, came to a close Thursday after five weeks in Whatcom County Superior Court.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.