Remembering Chosin

Veterans of epic battle decry country’s ignorance of Korean War

By JIM HALEY

Herald Writer

Pfc. Walter Hammen hunkered down with a companion in a frigid foxhole on top of a promontory of northern Korea called Hill 1282 on U.S. Marine Corps maps.

Hammen’s E Company, a 170-man segment of the 1st Marine Division, was assigned to hold the hill to protect a vulnerable supply route in the valley below.

It was late at night, probably just before midnight, when an overwhelming force of Chinese soldiers attacked. By daylight, all but perhaps 35 members of his company, including then 20-year-old Hammen, were either wounded or dead.

The battle for Chosin Reservoir had begun.

Starting Nov. 27, 1950, one of most fierce battles in U.S. history unfolded on a snowy, subzero battlefield deep in the barren mountains of North Korea.

What irritates Hammen and other Korean War veterans is that the war and its big battles are often ignored when it comes time to talk of military valor and accomplishment.

Hammen and dozens of other Chosin survivors are attending a reunion in San Diego this week commemorating its 50th anniversary. The organization calls itself The Chosin Few.

"Everybody knows about the Battle of the Bulge," Hammen said about a famous World War II battle that turned the face of the war in Europe. "This was much colder … and nobody knows about it."

The retired Everett furniture store owner said the Korean conflict is known as "the forgotten war." People who say that are right, he said.

"You don’t read about the Korean War anyplace," he said. "It’s disgusting."

Of the 25,000 allied service members at Chosin, more than 600 were killed, about 200 were declared missing in action and 3,500 were wounded. Another 7,300 had other nonbattle injuries such as frostbite.

Hammen was shot twice in the leg the first night of the Chosin battle and literally slid down the back side of the mountain to an aid station.

The bullets flew, but the cold was as big an enemy to both sides as the machinery of war.

It approached 20 degrees below zero that night, and reached 40 degrees below zero on subsequent nights through the two-week battle as the first big cold snap of the Korean winter made a miserable war even worse.

"It killed a lot more Chinese than it did Americans," Hammen said. "They had tennis shoes. They were literally like tennis shoes in that cold. Their feet were just caked with ice when they tried to give up."

He spent nearly five days lying wounded in the back of an open truck trying to get out to a hospital.

"You didn’t fall asleep at night because you’re afraid of the Chinese, and you’re afraid of freezing," Hammen said.

Before the attack, the allied forces had been en route across the rugged northern Korean mountains to meet Army forces that had established a position in the west.

They were confronted by perhaps 120,000 Chinese troops near the huge Chosin Reservoir. The allied advance was stopped, and the retreat was sounded. The allied forces, mostly U.S. Marines, had to fight their way out.

Hammen, who earned one Purple Heart at Chosin and a second several months later in Korea, had been managing a men’s shoe department in Minneapolis in July of 1950 when his reserve unit was called up.

A month later, he was in Korea, where he got his basic training, sort of on-the-job-training with people shooting at him.

It wasn’t until 1997 that Korean War veterans won a battle to acquire benefits for frostbite, a condition that still afflicts Hammen today.

When he got out of the service, he came to the Northwest for the scenery and to avoid the bitter Minnesota winters that left frostbitten feet and hands aching.

He said U.S. forces don’t get enough credit for keeping South Korea prosperous and for sending a message to the Soviet Union at the start of the Cold War.

"Maybe it let Russia know the United States isn’t an easy pushover," Hammen said.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Oliver Popa, 7, poses with his book, "Drippey Plants a Garden," on Tuesday, March 25, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds 7-year-old publishes children’s book featuring ‘Drippey’ the bee

Oliver Popa’s first grade teacher said he should publish a longer version of a writing assignment. A year later, his mother — a publisher — helped made it happen.

Don Sharrett talks John Wrice through his trimming technique on Friday, March 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett barber school offers $5 haircuts — if you’re brave enough

Students get hands-on practice. Willing clients get a sweet deal.

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Percy Levy, who served 17 years for drug-related crimes, outside his new business Redemption Auto along Highway 99 on Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett man, arrested on drugs, weapons charges, moved to federal detention

In addition to Percy Levy, U.S. marshals transferred a second suspect in the case to federal custody.

2025 Emerging Leader Anthony Hawley (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Anthony Hawley: Creating friendships and filling pantries

Since 2021, Hawley has increased donations to Lake Stevens Community Food Bank through fundraising and building donor relationships.

Gary Petershagen
Lake Stevens council member announces reelection run

Gary Petershagen is seeking a third term on the council.

2025 Emerging Leader Megan Kemmett (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Megan Kemmett: Seeking solutions to any problem or obstacle

Executive director of Snohomish Community Food Bank overcomes obstacles to keep people fed.

Director for the Snohomish County Health Department Dennis Worsham leads a short exercise during the Edge of Amazing event on Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish County Health Department faces up to $3.4 million in cuts

The two federal grants provided funding for immunizations and disease prevention awareness efforts.

2025 Emerging Leader DeLon Lewis (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
DeLon Lewis: Helping students succeed

Program specialist for Everett Community College believes leadership is about building bridges.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett Public Schools breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.