Snohomish County Jail. (Sue Misao / Herald file)

Snohomish County Jail. (Sue Misao / Herald file)

Snohomish County rejects contract to house Whatcom County inmates

Last month, Whatcom County officials approved a plan to send up to 45 inmates to Everett — where some elected leaders balked.

EVERETT — Snohomish County officials said Friday they planned to reject an agreement to house up to 45 inmates from Whatcom County in the Everett jail due to staffing concerns.

Last month, the County Council about 60 miles to the north approved the $1.2 million contract to shuttle inmates from Bellingham to the Snohomish County Jail for the rest of this year. Their counterparts in Everett still had to ratify the proposal.

But the news of a possible agreement between the two counties was met with some staunch opposition. On Facebook, Everett Mayor Cassie Franklin urged the Snohomish County Council to reject the contract.

“Vacancies at the County Jail must first prioritize individuals engaged in criminal activity here in Everett and Snohomish County before we allow other jurisdictions to occupy our resources,” she wrote Aug. 18.

Snohomish County Executive Dave Somers commented on the mayor’s Facebook post, noting his office and the council learned about the contract through the media.

“Plenty of questions and concerns,” he wrote. “Stay tuned.”

The Bellingham Herald first reported the agreement’s demise Thursday. The report cites an email from Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office Bureau of Corrections Chief Jamie Kane to his Whatcom County counterpart.

“When we started this conversation I was down about 17 vacant deputy positions,” Kane reportedly wrote in the email. “As of today, I’m down 42 and we have no applicants in the (queue) for Corrections Deputy. I tried as hard as I could, but this is out of my control.”

County spokesperson Kent Patton noted widespread hiring issues.

“Hiring is a problem for all of our departments and offices,” he said Friday. “It’s across the board.”

Snohomish County Councilmember Nate Nehring previously told The Daily Herald this proposal was a “win-win.” But in an email Friday, he said he met with Sheriff Adam Fortney this week, where he learned the jail staffing issues would put the proposal on hold. He said that decision made sense.

Kane’s email also noted Snohomish County officials were “inundated with complaints from their constituents” after an Aug. 17 article in The Daily Herald reported on the jail proposal.

The rejection came as a surprise to Whatcom County Sheriff Bill Elfo. He maintained Friday that the proposal would’ve been a “win-win” for both counties, as he got “some desperately needed jail space and Snohomish County would have received substantial fiscal benefits related to renting some of their unused jail space.”

Elfo said his staff worked with the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office for months on the plan.

The now-failed move came as Elfo reported a rising population in a chronically overcrowded jail. Between January and June, the number of inmates jumped by almost a third. Meanwhile, about one-fifth of the incarcerated people there have to be housed alone, reducing capacity by 35 beds. So staff resorted to housing people in spaces like a shower area and conference room.

Officials there have been trying for years to get a new jail built. In 2015, Whatcom voters defeated funding for a proposed facility with over 500 beds. Two years later, they again voted against a somewhat smaller plan.

The Snohomish County Jail has room for over 1,000 people. In early March 2020, the jail population hovered around 800. By later that month, it had fallen to 560 as the pandemic quickly shifted booking priorities. And on average this year, about 48% of the total capacity had been occupied, sheriff’s office spokesperson Courtney O’Keefe said last month.

In an email, O’Keefe had said the proposal wouldn’t much affect Snohomish County Jail operations. But in a one-sentence statement Friday, she wrote that “the county is not moving forward on the contract because of current staffing issues.”

Jake Goldstein-Street: 425-339-3439; jake.goldstein-street@heraldnet.com; Twitter: @GoldsteinStreet.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

More frequent service coming for Community Transit buses

As part of a regular update to its service hours, the agency will boost the frequencies of its Swift lines and other popular routes.

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in Snohomish County, and the Human Services Department is seeking applications. (File photo)
Applicants sought for housing programs in Snohomish County

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in… Continue reading

The newly rebuilt section of Index-Galena Road is pictured on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2023, near Index, Washington. (Jordan Hansen / The Herald)
Snohomish County honored nationally for Index-Galena road repair

The county Public Works department coordinated with multiple entities to repair a stretch of road near Index washed out by floods in 2006.

Birch, who was an owner surrender and now currently has an adoption pending, pauses on a walk with volunteer Cody McClellan at PAWS Lynnwood on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Pet surrenders up due to rising cost of living, shelter workers say

Compared to this time last year, dog surrenders are up 37% at the Lynnwood PAWS animal shelter.

Pedestrians cross the intersection of Evergreen Way and Airport Road on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
In Snohomish County, pedestrian fatalities continue a troublesome trend

As Everett and other cities eye new traffic safety measures, crashes involving pedestrians show little signs of decreasing.

The Mountlake Terrace City Council discusses the Flock Safety license plate camera system on Thursday, June 5, 2025 in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Mountlake Terrace public express ongoing ire with future Flock system

The city council explored installing a new advisory committee for stronger safety camera oversight.

Crane Aerospace & Electronics volunteer Dylan Goss helps move branches into place between poles while assembling an analog beaver dam in North Creek on Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Adopt A Stream volunteers build analog beaver dams in North Creek

The human-engineered structures will mimic natural dams in an effort to restore creek health in an increasingly urbanized area.

Ferries pass on a crossing between Mukilteo and Whidbey Island. (Andy Bronson / Herald file)
State commission approves rate hike for ferry trips

Ticket prices are set to rise about 6% over the next two years.

Henry M. Jackson High School on Thursday, Aug. 28, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Mill Creek family throws $489k into Everett school board races

Board members denounced the spending. The family alleges a robotics team is too reliant on adults, but district reports have found otherwise.

Firefighters responded Thursday to reports of heavy black smoke and flames pouring out of an apartment complex on Fowler Avenue. (Provided photo)
Everett apartment fire displaces 11 residents on Thursday

First responders are investigating the cause of the fire.

The Index Town Wall, a popular climbing site. (Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office)
One person dead after fall of more than 200 feet on Thursday in Index

Sky Valley Fire responded to the fall at the Index Town Wall.

Body of BASE jumper recovered by the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office after three-day search of Mt. Baring.

On Aug. 19, deputies responded to an unresponsive man who BASE jumped from the 6,127-foot summit.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.