This year lawmakers passed — and Gov. Jay Inslee signed — 51 bills containing a means of generating money to help pay for what the state does now and will try to do in the near future.
As our guy in Olympia reports, some of the new fees and taxes are already in effect, and some are lurking on the horizon. Here are just a few:
• People will pay a few dollars more to get a copy of a death certificate.
• You’ll need to buy a special license if you only fish for smelt.
• Anyone deploying a robot on public sidewalks will be charged a $50 registration fee.
• Oregonians can’t evade paying sales taxes in Washington any more.
• If you vape, you’ll pay more.
• Ferry fares are going up.
• Don’t forget that long-term-care tax that will start coming out of everyone’s paycheck starting in 2022.
And there’s more. Read our full analysis of how it happened.