Video shows Sri Lanka rebels forcing civilian help

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — Video footage captured from Sri Lanka’s Tamil Tiger rebels showed their fighters forcing civilians to assist their war effort and depicted one insurgent in street clothes firing a heavy machine gun, the military said today.

The government said the footage, posted on the Defense Ministry Web site, proves that the rebels have been putting civilians in the line of fire and have shed their military uniforms so they would be mistaken for noncombatants themselves if killed.

A U.N. report last month said nearly 6,500 civilians had been killed in three months of fighting this year, and health officials in the war zone say many more have been killed since then. Diplomatic pressure has built on the government to temporarily halt its offensive to allow an estimated 50,000 civilians trapped in the war zone to flee.

President Mahinda Rajapaksa, speaking to foreign diplomats today, reiterated his opposition to a cease-fire.

The government says it is on the verge of defeating the rebels and such a pause would allow them to regroup. It has denied the reports of heavy civilian casualties and accused the rebels of holding the civilians as human shields.

The video showed a man, apparently a Tamil Tiger fighter, wearing a white, buttoned shirt, firing a heavy machine gun mounted on an armored vehicle as others in street clothes helped him maneuver.

Narration provided by the government said the advancing troops captured the vehicle, killing all the combatants near the village of Mulliavaikkal and recovering the videotape that included footage of the body of a slain rebel.

The video also showed men in civilian clothing camouflaging the armored vehicle with tree branches and a line of people carrying hoes and walking behind a rebel fighter. The narrator said the civilians were being taken to dig trenches and erect earth fortifications against the advancing government forces.

Defense spokesman Keheliya Rambukwella said the footage backed up the government assertions that the rebels were trying to discredit the government by making it appear as if many innocent civilians were being killed.

“This has been going on for a long time,” he said.

The rebels could not be reached for immediate comment.

In recent months, government forces have ousted the rebels from their strongholds across the north and cornered them in a tiny sliver of land along the northeast coast.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon became the latest international leader to ask President Mahinda Rajapaksa to suspend the offensive to allow aid into the war zone. Rajapaksa has brushed off calls for even a brief cease-fire.

In the phone call between the two leaders late Tuesday, Rajapaksa invited Ban to come to Sri Lanka and inspect the situation for himself.

U.N. spokeswoman Michele Montas told reporters in New York that no decision has been made on such a visit, but “the secretary-general feels that if it can save lives, he will definitely consider it.”

Rajapaksa told diplomats that a cease-fire with the Tamil Tigers would be useless and vowed to fight on and destroy the group.

He said the rebels have used previous cease-fire periods to rearm and regroup and said the government “will not be deceived anymore.”

“The LTTE only believe in the language of terror, which needs to be met by military force,” he said.

Fighting, meanwhile, continued today, with soldiers capturing an earthen fortification in the shrinking rebel enclave, the military said. Troops also found the bodies of three slain Tamil Tiger fighters, the military said.

It is not possible to independently verify the military’s claims because reporters and independent observers are barred from the war zone.

The rebels have been fighting since 1983 for a separate state for minority Tamils, who have suffered decades of marginalization at the hands of governments controlled by the Sinhalese majority.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

The Lynnwood City Council meets in their chambers on Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Lynnwood reconsiders Flock, discusses immigration resolution

Police Chief Cole Langdon said the department is “extremely limited” in its ability to intervene during federal immigration operations.

Amid cold, wind and rain, people fish along a pier in Edmonds while they watch a state ferry travel to Kingston on Monday, Nov. 17 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
State ferries to implement 3% credit, debit card surcharge

The legislature approved the fee last year to help cover the cost of credit and debit card fees. It goes into effect on March 1.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.