SEATTLE — The fire early Monday morning at a Seattle apartment building was started by candles.
Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore says they were left burning on top of a refrigerator, and flames caught the kitchen on fire and destroyed one unit in the four-story building in the Queen Anne neighborhood of the city.
A woman in the burning apartment escape safely. She was checked at the scene by medics. A man in the neighboring apartment was trapped by heavy black smoke in the hall. He was rescued by a fire department ladder truck out a second-floor window.
About three-dozen other residents were evacuated. Many were kept warm for a couple of hours in a bus before they were allowed back inside.
Fire damage is estimated at $130,000.