Just a few years ago, CBD burst onto the health and wellness scene and charmed everyone who had ever considered using medical marijuana to alleviate the symptoms of some disease. Instead of risking it all by ingesting too much THC, we now have a compound that promises relaxation and relief without the psychoactive effects of its cannabinoid cousin. To that end, the most troubled among us have been on the lookout for the best CBD oil for anxiety — but will it even work for it?
The CBD industry is still quite young, and more research is needed to determine whether the anecdotal evidence we have now is pure coincidence or proof of some truly incredible health benefits. So today, we will be taking a look into how CBD works in regard to anxiety and why it might be a good alternative to popular medications. First things first, though — let’s see what the top brands offer right now and why their CBD oils are getting so many rave reviews!
The Best CBD Oil for Anxiety: Top 6 Brands in 2021
1. Royal CBD
For a great majority of users, the best CBD tincture for anxiety seems to be the full-spectrum oil made by Royal CBD. Formulated to inspire calm and a sense of balance, this oil is available in four strengths: 250, 500, 1000, and 2500 mg. On top of that, we can get it in different flavors, which isn’t something all brands can brag about. Right now, we can get the lower potencies in Mint, Berry, and Vanilla flavors. The highest one tastes like hemp, and it has been consistently voted as the top pick for depression by many CBD experts.
But flavors and potencies aside, Royal CBD stands out even more for its impeccable production process and the effort to use only the best-quality CBD sources. The company gets its organic hemp in Colorado, and it has opted for the most sophisticated extraction method available — the supercritical CO2 extraction.
The best part, though, is that this is a full-spectrum oil. All the beneficial cannabis compounds have made it into the extract and can deliver stronger effects without us having to up the dosage. But don’t worry — there’s less than 0.3% THC in the oil, as the third-party lab test results can easily confirm.
What We Like About the Royal CBD Oil:
- Quality ingredients, including organic hemp and high-grade MCT oil
- Extracts derived using CO2 extraction
- The oil is available in a few flavors and potencies
- The highest potency option offers up to 83.3 mg of CBD per serving
What We Don’t Like About the Royal CBD Oil:
- We can only get full-spectrum oils (no THC-free variants)
- The highest potency only comes in one flavor
2. Gold Bee
Though Gold Bee may not have a versatile offering of CBD oils (much like Royal CBD does), many users still claim its main product could be the best CBD oil for anxiety. The company emphasizes the importance of using all-natural quality ingredients for its oil, thus making sure the end-user is never worried about their safety. At the same time, it makes sure its production process is fault-free, utilizing CO2 extraction and organic, US-grown hemp.
Naturally, that’s not the only reason users are raving about this oil. For one, it’s a full-spectrum oil, which means that it delivers better effects at a lower dosage in comparison to a CBD isolate or broad-spectrum oil. This is all thanks to the synergy of the cannabis compounds found in the oil — they all work together to boost the effects further.
Besides that, Gold Bee has made this oil super-delicious, adding honey into the mix to make each serving a wonderfully sweet affair. Their oil was voted second-place by LA Weekly from their list of the top 10 winning CBD Oils in 2021.
The oil is available in two flavors, Kiwi and Natural. The only issue is that there are just two potencies: 1200 and 2400 mg.
What We Like About the Gold Bee CBD Oil:
- Extracts derived from premium organic US-grown hemp using CO2
- No artificial sweeteners or flavorings (the company uses Stevia and honey)
- Third-party lab-tested
- 30-day money-back guarantee
What We Don’t Like About the Gold Bee CBD Oil:
- No THC-free variants
- Only two potency options
- Only the lowest potency is available in both flavors
Those on the lookout for the best CBD oil for anxiety should definitely check out CBDistillery, a brand we could easily describe as one of the most versatile on the market today. Apart from soft gels, topicals, powders, and gummies, the company produces a variety of CBD oils. The advantage? We don’t have to pick a full-spectrum oil if we don’t want to — CBDistillery has broad-spectrum and CBD isolate versions as well.
Indecisive users will love the fact all three types of oil are represented by this brand. Once they get to browsing, they’ll be dazzled by the selection of strengths as well. Each oil variant has a few potencies to choose from: four strengths for full-spectrum oil (500, 1000, 2500, and 5000 mg), and three for broad-spectrum and CBD isolate (500, 1000, and 2500 mg).
However, we were a bit disappointed with the lack of additional flavors — something a few brands on this list are actually famous for. Besides that, we didn’t like that the hemp isn’t 100% organic. That should be the gold standard by now, especially for a company as serious as this one.
What We Like About the CBDistillery Oil:
- Naturally grown quality industrial hemp and CO2 and ethanol extraction
- A fantastic range of potencies (up to 167 mg of CBD per serving)
- Full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and CBD isolate oils
- Thoroughly tested for safety, potency, and purity (results readily available)
What We Don’t Like About the CBDistillery Oil:
- There aren’t any additional flavors
- The hemp isn’t certified organic
- Using solvents doesn’t yield the purest or safest extracts
At a glance, CBDPure’s oil doesn’t seem so interesting to users who crave a sugar rush alongside the incredible benefits of CBD. However, despite the lack of additional sweet flavors, this full-spectrum oil still offers some incredible effects and can help anyone with anxiety feel a bit more at ease each day.
This is all thanks to the brand’s reputation as one of the most transparent and reliable manufacturers around. All the lab test results are available on CBDPure’s website, so it’s easy to check the cannabinoid profile, potency, and purity of the oil. Furthermore, the company emphasizes the importance of its production process by carefully detailing everything a potential customer might want to know. Most notably, CBDPure is proud to say that it gets its organic hemp in Washington and Colorado and uses CO2 extraction to obtain the extracts.
The only major thing we’re not so thrilled about here is the lack of variety when it comes to potencies. Right now, we can only get 300, 600, and 1000 mg oils. Other than not being strong enough for some users, this also means we’d empty the bottle faster since we’d have to compensate for the potency by taking more oil.
What We Like About the CBDPure Oil:
- Brought to us by a transparent, reputable company
- CO2 extraction and organic, domestically grown hemp
- Tested in labs for safety and purity
- 90-day money-back guarantee
What We Don’t Like About the CBDPure Oil:
- We can only get full-spectrum oils
- A limited flavor and potency selection
5. NuLeaf Naturals
NuLeaf Naturals is a veteran brand that has had, until recently, only a few products to offer. But despite the new additions, we’re still in awe of its CBD oil, which has been dazzling customers with its gold-amber color for a while now and has even inspired some of them to consider it the best CBD oil for anxiety on the market.
Made with a whole-plant extract, this full-spectrum oil can be used for a variety of ailments, including anxiety, sleep problems, mood, and more. And it’s all thanks to the company’s exquisite manufacturing; to ensure quality, it only uses domestically grown organic hemp and a mix of sub- and supercritical CO2 extraction.
If we had to split hairs, though, we’d say that the potency is the only issue we have with this oil. Each serving yields 30 mg of CBD, and there’s only one potency to opt for. The oil is, however, available in five bottle sizes (but just one flavor). At the very least, it’s cost-effective to use, given that we could get a 6000 mg bottle and have it last us for quite a while.
What We Like About the NuLeaf Naturals CBD Oil:
- Exquisite production using sub- and supercritical CO2 extraction
- Extracts are derived from organic Colorado-grown hemp
- Lab-tested for potency and contaminants
- Available in different bottle sizes
What We Don’t Like About the NuLeaf Naturals CBD Oil:
- There’s only one potency
- The oil comes in one flavor only (natural, as it’s unflavored)
- Not as affordable as its competitors
6. Hemp Bombs
Nervous about getting too much THC into your system? Don’t be! For some people, the best CBD oil for anxiety is the one that doesn’t make them even more anxious about potential brushes with the law. Besides, though an oil with less than 0.3% THC wouldn’t make you high and might not even show up on random drug tests, you don’t have to pick a full-spectrum oil if you have anxiety. There are brands like Hemp Bombs that specialize in making delicious THC-free variants!
What makes Hemp Bombs CBD oil such a good option, you may ask? For one, the company opts for high-quality hemp to ensure the final product satisfies each customer. Furthermore, it has gone the extra mile by thinking of some pretty interesting flavors. Since not many of us actually enjoy the taste of hemp, this should make the whole experience more enjoyable overall.
Still, the best selling point we can notice here is the range of potencies the brand offers. Going from 125 mg up to 5000 mg, there’s something for everyone here, no matter if they’re just starting out with CBD or require the highest dosage to soothe their anxiety.
What We Like About the Hemp Bombs CBD Oil:
- Quality hemp sourced from domestic farms
- Six potencies, featuring both very low and very high options
- Interesting flavors to choose from (Chocolate Mint, Orange Creamsicle, etc.)
- Certificates of third-party lab analysis readily available on the website
What We Don’t Like About the Hemp Bombs CBD Oil:
- Some of the flavors are artificial
- The oil contains pure CBD extract, so we miss out on the entourage effect
How CBD and Anxiety May Be a Match Made in Heaven
Before choosing the best CBD oil for anxiety for you out of the six brands we talked about above, it’s necessary to explain how this compound may put you at ease.
As one of the most widespread mental health disorders, anxiety is no stranger to creeping upon us in the most uncomfortable situations. Strangely enough, its main purpose is to protect us from danger by triggering our fight-or-flight response. Essentially, it’s a natural process that ought to keep us alive when there’s something threatening us.
However, as our lives became busier and more advanced, anxiety became a more dominant feature. Now, it’s not only a natural reaction but can also be a pathological response to non-life-threatening situations.
Today, we can identify many forms of the condition, including generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety, phobias, and panic disorder. The symptoms are shared by many of these and include:
- Heart palpitations
- Dry mouth
- Somatic complaints
- Sleep problems
- Muscle tension
So what kind of a role does CBD play in all of this?
Well, the compound has been shown to interact with the endocannabinoid system we all have, which is responsible for keeping the body in equilibrium. This system maintains the body, making sure it functions properly — and if it doesn’t, it sends its troops (endocannabinoids) to resolve the issues. It regulates a variety of functions, most notably the nervous system, mood and stress, appetite, and immune and inflammatory response.
But the ECS isn’t almighty, and it may not be able to work well enough to resolve problems fast. That’s when CBD becomes its best friend. The compound lends a helping hand by triggering the system to produce more neurotransmitters (endocannabinoids) and blocking the enzyme that breaks them down.
Potential CBD Benefits and Side Effects
In terms of anxiety, we can determine a few other more specific benefits:
- CBD manages the levels of anandamide (the bliss molecule). This neurotransmitter is similar in structure to THC, but it doesn’t have the same psychoactive effects. Instead, it boosts feelings of joy, euphoria, and bliss. By using CBD, we can maintain its levels, thus reducing the likelihood of major mood swings and outbursts. Otherwise, lower anandamide levels put us in a low mood and make our reactions to stress and anxiety overwhelming.
- CBD stimulates 5HT1 serotonin receptors, thus increasing serotonin’s activity in the brain. Essentially, it doesn’t increase the amount of serotonin but instead affects how brain receptors respond to it. As a result, it may improve our mood, sleep patterns, and concentration. An animal study done in 2014 suggested that its effects on these receptors may reduce depression and anxiety too.
- CBD modulates GABA receptors. GABA has natural calming effects and can reduce anxiety on its own. Cannabidiol boosts its effects by changing the receptors and making them more sensitive to the neurotransmitter.
- CBD supports hippocampal neurogenesis. Changes in the hippocampus are common among anxiety sufferers, so treatment can also include boosting the production of new neurons. CBD supports this cause by stimulating the hippocampus and improving its functioning. As a result, it also encourages neural regeneration.
Choosing the Right Dosage
Even with the best CBD oil for anxiety, figuring out the dosage may prove a challenge. In essence, it is unique to each person, as it depends on a variety of factors, including:
- the user’s weight
- body chemistry
- the health condition in question
- method of administration
- the strength of CBD per dosage.
However, there is a study we can rely on when it comes to using CBD for anxiety. Back in 2019, 57 adult males experienced a reduction in anxiety after taking 300 mg of CBD. Other research suggests taking anywhere from 300 to 600 mg of CBD orally should combat anxiety effectively.
Still, it is always better to take things slow, especially if it’s our first time using CBD. Taking a small dose at first and monitoring the effects should give us enough insight into how we react to the compound and whether we would need a lower or higher dosage.
We can then keep increasing it until we reach the perfect balance; the goal is for CBD to reduce our anxiety without marring the results with mild side effects, such as dry mouth and drowsiness.
Final Thoughts on the Best CBD Oil for Anxiety
Luckily for us anxious folk, anxiety, and CBD have been researched enough so far that brands can actually claim their CBD oils have some profound relaxing effects. Now, it’s only the question of choosing the best CBD oil for anxiety out of the brands willing to put effort, time, and money into producing oils of consistent quality. Hopefully, we’ve made the choice easier on you now — but make sure to do your own research as well so that your CBD oil brings you only relief and improved well-being!
Talk to us
- You can tell us about news and ask us about our journalism by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 425-339-3428.
- If you have an opinion you wish to share for publication, send a letter to the editor to email@example.com or by regular mail to The Daily Herald, Letters, P.O. Box 930, Everett, WA 98206.
- More contact information is here.