GRANITE FALLS – A fire in the city-owned community center has displaced the Granite Falls Boys &Girls Club.
The fire was reported about 8:50 p.m. Tuesday at 101 E. Pioneer St., District 17 firefighter Jeff Torgerson said.
He said the fire in the old wooden structure started near the electrical room and caused about $75,000 in damage.
Firefighters worked about eight hours to put out the fire and to ensure that it hadn’t spread to other parts of the building, he said.
District 17 called for help from three neighboring agencies, he said.
An Alcoholics Anonymous meeting was taking place in the building when the fire was discovered. A bystander alerted the people to leave. No one was hurt, Torgerson said.
The building remains closed. An investigation by the Snohomish County fire marshal is under way.
The Granite Falls club is using the Lake Stevens Boys &Girls Club building on an interim basis, spokesman Paul Seely said.
“Thank God we’ve got a good club and a nice club within close proximity,” he said.
Controversy over the building and the club’s lease has swirled through the city for the last year.
The city refused to offer the club an extended lease despite the club’s offer to invest nearly $400,000 in renovations, Seely said.
Reporter Jackson Holtz: 425-339-3437 or firstname.lastname@example.org.