Ex-Beatle, and his attacker, get an apology

Associated Press

LONDON — Health officials apologized Tuesday to former Beatle George Harrison and the schizophrenic man who stabbed him as a new report disclosed major lapses in the attacker’s treatment before he broke into Harrison’s home.

The sharply critical report said workers at the British hospitals and clinics that saw Michael Abram failed to properly assess and treat him. It criticized staff who discharged him from one hospital about a month before the attack, leaving him to walk home alone early in the morning, and said he should have been put in a treatment program 18 months earlier.

"We wish to make a full and formal apology to George Harrison and his family and to Michael Abram and his family for the failures in Mr. Abram’s care and treatment prior to the appalling events of December 1999," said the statement by the St. Helens and Knowsley Health Authority and Hospitals National Health Service Trust.

"We wish to reassure the Harrison and Abram families that lessons have been learned," it added.

The report was commissioned by the St. Helens and Knowsley Health Authority, which oversees health services in an area northwest of London.

"There is no doubt, with hindsight, that there were shortcomings in the mental health services we provided," said Ken Sanderson, chief executive of the St. Helens and Knowsley Hospitals National Health Service Trust. "Michael Abram had complex mental health problems which we failed to comprehensively assess and manage."

Abram, 35, now detained indefinitely in a psychiatric hospital, welcomed the report’s condemnation of the care system, but said it should have specifically identified the workers who failed to treat him properly.

"Unless they’re put on the spot, how can we be sure they won’t make the same mistakes again?" his statement said.

He also apologized to Harrison, now 58, saying he was "deeply embarrassed and ashamed about the terrible thing that I did."

"I feel very guilty about it, but I can’t turn back time, and all I can say is that I am very sorry," he said. "But I hope people may understand what happened to me and appreciate that it was not my fault. Physically I did it, but I was not in control of my own mind at the time."

Abram was accused by prosecutors of breaking into Harrison’s home in Henley-on-Thames, west of London, and stabbing him repeatedly, puncturing a lung. He also was charged with attacking Harrison’s wife, Olivia, when she came to her husband’s defense.

A judge last year ordered jurors hearing the case to find Abram innocent by reason of insanity after three psychiatrists testified he had been a paranoid schizophrenic since 1990.

He told psychiatrists he was on a "mission from God" and believed he was possessed by the former Beatle when he rampaged through the Harrisons’ 120-room mansion.

Abram had been in and out of psychiatric facilities for years and sought help in the weeks before the Dec. 30, 1999, attack.

The report said the health service’s failings were "unacceptable," but added that none of the staff who treated Abram could have predicted the attack.

Harrison’s own health has made headlines in recent months. In June, he underwent a course of radiation therapy in Switzerland. He issued a statement at the time telling his fans not to worry and refused to comment on reports that he was battling a brain tumor.

Copyright ©2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Oliver Popa, 7, poses with his book, "Drippey Plants a Garden," on Tuesday, March 25, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds 7-year-old publishes children’s book featuring ‘Drippey’ the bee

Oliver Popa’s first grade teacher said he should publish a longer version of a writing assignment. A year later, his mother — a publisher — helped made it happen.

Don Sharrett talks John Wrice through his trimming technique on Friday, March 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett barber school offers $5 haircuts — if you’re brave enough

Students get hands-on practice. Willing clients get a sweet deal.

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

2025 Emerging Leader Anthony Hawley (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Anthony Hawley: Creating friendships and filling pantries

Since 2021, Hawley has increased donations to Lake Stevens Community Food Bank through fundraising and building donor relationships.

Gary Petershagen
Lake Stevens council member announces reelection run

Gary Petershagen is seeking a third term on the council.

2025 Emerging Leader Megan Kemmett (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Megan Kemmett: Seeking solutions to any problem or obstacle

Executive director of Snohomish Community Food Bank overcomes obstacles to keep people fed.

Director for the Snohomish County Health Department Dennis Worsham leads a short exercise during the Edge of Amazing event on Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish County Health Department faces up to $3.4 million in cuts

The two federal grants provided funding for immunizations and disease prevention awareness efforts.

2025 Emerging Leader DeLon Lewis (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
DeLon Lewis: Helping students succeed

Program specialist for Everett Community College believes leadership is about building bridges.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett Public Schools breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Another positive measles case identified in Snohomish County

The case was identified in an infant who likely contracted measles while traveling, the county health department said.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.