Expect a sustained ‘war’

By Robert Burns

Associated Press

WASHINGTON – The United States will launch sustained military strikes against those behind the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington, D.C., as well as their support systems, a senior Pentagon official said Thursday.

In the most explicit description yet of the Bush administration’s intentions, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz said the military retaliation would continue until the roots of terrorism are destroyed.

“One has to say it’s not just simply a matter of capturing people and holding them accountable, but removing the sanctuaries, removing the support systems, ending states who sponsor terrorism,” he told a news conference in a Pentagon briefing room that still smelled of smoke and soot.

Other defense officials said the administration was considering options that included the use of air, sea and land forces over a lengthy period. They said it was clear the administration would go well beyond the limited strikes of recent years against Iraq, Afghanistan and Sudan.

“This is not going to be a short program,” said Navy Secretary Gordon England.

The military’s fleet of sophisticated AWACS radar planes has been ordered to stop flying missions over the nation’s airspace, Rumsfeld said Thursday night on CNN’s “Larry King Live.”

The decision coincided with the resumption of commercial airline flights Thursday morning.

Rumsfeld also noted that combat planes continue to fly over the New York-Washington corridor. He said he has not decided when those flights should stop. “And we do have interceptors on 15-minute alert across the country on some 26 bases,” Rumsfeld told CNN.

Air National Guard reserve pilots have been used to supplement American forces in military emergencies on many occasions.

In comments at the White House, Bush was less explicit than Wolfowitz about the military’s role but emphatic that action would be taken in response to attacks that he has called acts of war.

“Now that war has been declared, we will lead the world to victory,” Bush said.

Wolfowitz made clear the administration was not thinking of a limited response.

“One thing that is clear is you don’t do it with just a single military strike, no matter how dramatic,” he said.

A senior White House official said Bush is planning a sweeping campaign against terrorist groups that could last years. The official seemed to be bracing the public for the likelihood that, although Bush may not act quickly, he will act forcefully with a series of strikes.

The Navy has two aircraft carrier battle groups, each with 75 warplanes aboard, in the vicinity of the Arabian Sea, said Adm. Vern Clark, the chief of naval operations. That is twice the usual number for that part of the world. The USS Enterprise, which was due to return home after being relieved earlier this month by the Bremerton-based USS Carl Vinson, has been ordered to remain in the area indefinitely.

Those battle groups normally include cruisers and submarines, which could be used to launch long-range cruise missile strikes, perhaps as part of a prelude to attacks by manned aircraft such as B-2 stealth bombers or B-1 Lancers.

There were no indications Thursday of a buildup of American forces in the Middle East or elsewhere.

Neither Wolfowitz nor other defense officials hinted at when the United States might begin military strikes. On Capitol Hill, some lawmakers urged the administration to gather more information about the perpetrators of Tuesday’s attacks and their supporters.

“This has got to be a very sophisticated inquiry,” said Sen. Dick Lugar, R-Ind., a senior member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Lugar was asked whether he believed the United States should launch a massive military response.

“There’s no way of being able to decide that prior to knowing how extensive the harboring or aiding and abetting and organizing is,” he said. “That is why I would counsel that we’d better know that before we begin suggesting particular tactics of retaliation.”

On Wednesday, Rumsfeld said in a message to U.S. troops worldwide that some among them would be called to join the battle against “powerful and terrible enemies.”

Copyright ©2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Arif Ghouseat flips through his work binder in his office conference room Paine Field on Monday, Dec. 10, 2018 in Everett, Wa. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Paine Field Airport director departing for Sea-Tac job

Arif Ghouse, who oversaw the launch of commercial air travel at Paine Field, is leaving after eight years.

NO CAPTION. Logo to accompany news of education.
Public school enrollment still down, even as rural districts grow

Smaller districts in Snohomish County seem to be recovering more quickly — and gaining students — than their urban counterparts.

Josiah Degenstein
Lake Stevens man with alleged white supremacist ties faces gun charges

Storage units belonging to Josiah Degenstein contained multiple arsenals, according to police.

Maricel Samaniego, center, teaches English to Liedith Espana, left, and Nemecio Rios, right, at Liberty Elementary School in Marysville, Washington, on Monday, Jan. 30, 2023. Marysville schools partner with Everett Community College to offer free English classes to parents of multilingual students. (Annie Barker / The Herald)
Free English class helps Marysville parents lower language barrier

The school district partners with EvCC to teach practical classes on pronunciation, paperwork and parent-teacher conferences.

Firefighters works through rescue drills during the Snohomish Regional Fire & Rescue’s annual Water Rescue Academy on the Skykomish River Thursday afternoon in Index, Washington on May 5, 2022. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
Snohomish Regional Fire asks voters for two more commissioners

The district currently has seven commissioners, but it can keep only five. A Feb. 14 special election could change that.

Photo by David Welton
A federal grant will help pay for the cost of adding a charging station to the Clinton ferry terminal.
Federal money to help electrify Clinton ferry dock

The Federal Transit Administration awarded state ferries a $4.9 million grant to help electrify the Mukilteo-Clinton route.

News logo for use with stories about coronavirus COVID-19 COVID
5 things to watch in Snohomish County as COVID public emergency ends

Snohomish County health care leaders shared what they’re concerned about when the federal emergency expires May 11.

Angelica Montanari and daughter Makena, 1, outside of the Community Health Center of Snohomish County Everett-Central Clinic on Thursday, Feb. 2, 2023. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Amid patient woes, CHC of Snohomish County staffers push for a union

Doctors and nurse practitioners are worried about providers being shut out from clinical decisions, which hurts patient care.

Students make their way after school at Edmonds-Woodway High School on March 12, 2020. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
After Edmonds schools internet outage, staff ‘teaching like it’s the 1900s’

“Suspicious activities” on the district’s network delayed classes and caused schedule havoc. “Kids are using pencil and paper again.”

Most Read