SNOHOMISH — A newspaper delivery driver apparently applied the accelerator instead of the brake, sending a minivan down an embankment and part way through the side of a garage here early Sunday morning.
Nobody was injured, although an electrical panel box and a natural gas meter were damaged, temporarily causing a fear that leaking gas would explode, Snohomish Deputy Fire Chief Mark Collins said.
The incident happened about 2 a.m. in the 1900 block of N. Lake Avenue, Collins said.
"It had the potential to be a tragedy," Collins added.
The van careened down an embankment, into a large rock and penetrated the garage wall, Collins said. The home’s electrical panel wound up on the van, putting an electrical charge into the car. Collins said he doesn’t know how the driver got out.
The Snohomish County PUD was called to shut off power, and several homes in the vicinity were without electricity for a time. Puget Sound Energy shut off the gas, and fire officials checked the area for possible pockets of accumulated gas.
Talk to us
- You can tell us about news and ask us about our journalism by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 425-339-3428.
- If you have an opinion you wish to share for publication, send a letter to the editor to email@example.com or by regular mail to The Daily Herald, Letters, P.O. Box 930, Everett, WA 98206.
- More contact information is here.