U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson (center) on Friday visits with U.S. Gen. Vincent K. Brooks (right), commander of the United Nations Command, Combined Forces Command and United States Forces Korea, at the South Korean border village of Panmunjom, which has separated the two Koreas since the Korean War. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man, Pool)

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson (center) on Friday visits with U.S. Gen. Vincent K. Brooks (right), commander of the United Nations Command, Combined Forces Command and United States Forces Korea, at the South Korean border village of Panmunjom, which has separated the two Koreas since the Korean War. (AP Photo/Lee Jin-man, Pool)

Tillerson: Use of pre-emptive force an option with N. Korea

By MATTHEW PENNINGTON / Associated Press

SEOUL, South Korea — The United States signaled a tougher strategy toward North Korea on Friday that leaves open the possibility of pre-emptive military action and rejects talks with the communist nation until it gives up its weapons of mass destruction.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was speaking after visiting the heavily militarized border between the rival Koreas. His comments are likely to displease Beijing, where he travels this weekend. China has been advocating diplomacy to avoid a conflict on the divided peninsula.

Also Friday, President Donald Trump tweeted: “North Korea is behaving very badly. They have been ‘playing’ the United States for years. China has done little to help!”

Past U.S. administrations have considered military options against North Korea and have publicly said that an attack on the U.S. or its allies would prompt a devastating response.

Tillerson’s comments were unusual, however, as he appeared to be implying, in public, that the U.S. would consider military force as a way of preventing an attack by Pyongyang, and not just as a means of retaliation. It also comes amid a greater sense of urgency about the threat because of North Korea’s rapid progress toward developing the means to strike the U.S. with a nuclear-tipped missile. Risks of military action are high as North Korea could unleash a massive artillery barrage on Seoul in retaliation.

The Trump administration says it is conducting a review of North Korea policy. At a news conference in Seoul, alongside his South Korean counterpart Yun Byung-se, Tillerson said U.S was exploring “a new range of diplomatic, security and economic measures.” He said the Obama administration’s policy of “strategic patience”— that saw tightening of sanctions to try and get North Korea back to negotiations aimed at denuclearization — had ended.

Asked about the possibility of using military force against North Korea, he said, “all of the options are on the table.”

Tillerson said the U.S. does not want a military conflict, “but obviously if North Korea takes actions that threatens South Korean forces or our own forces that would be met with (an) appropriate response. If they elevate the threat of their weapons program to a level that we believe requires action that option is on the table.”

Former members of the Clinton administration have said that the U.S. considered a strike on a North Korean nuclear facility in 1994 when it appeared on the brink of producing weapons-grade fissile material and refused U.N. inspections. A diplomatic deal was struck to avert conflict.

Since then, North Korea has violated multiple U.N. Security Council resolutions and has been undeterred by tough international sanctions. The North conducted two nuclear test explosions and 24 ballistic missile tests last year. Last week, after the U.S. and South Korea began annual military drills that the North views as rehearsal for invasion, it test-fired four missiles into seas off Japan.

Central to the U.S. review is China and its role in any bid to persuade Pyongyang to change course. China remains North Korea’s most powerful ally and dominant trading partner. China recently announced it was suspending coal imports that are an important source of revenue for North Korea for the rest of the year in adherence with U.N. sanctions.

Tillerson urged China and other countries to fully implement the sanctions. He criticized China’s opposition to a U.S. missile defense system being deployed in South Korea and accused it of waging “inappropriate and troubling” economic retaliation against the South. China sees the system as a threat to its own security although the U.S. says it is only targeted against North Korea. Tillerson said China should focus on the North Korean threat that makes the deployment necessary.

Tillerson also rejected Beijing’s proposal of halting the U.S.-South Korean military drills in exchange for a nuclear freeze by North Korea. He said the allies had no intention to stand down the exercises that are defensive in nature and conducted transparently, unlike North Korean missile launches. He further sounded skeptical about the idea of negotiating a freeze that would leave the North with “significant capabilities” that could threaten the region and U.S. forces.

The U.S. retains nearly 30,000 troops in South Korea, and nearly 50,000 in neighboring Japan.

More broadly, Tillerson poured cold water on the idea of resuming negotiations with Pyongyang, saying, “20 years of talks with North Korea have brought us to where we are today.”

“It’s important that the leadership of North Korea realize that their current pathway of nuclear weapons and escalating threats will not lead to their objective of security and economic development. That pathway can only be achieved by denuclearizing, giving up their weapons of mass destruction, and only then will we be prepared to engage with them in talks,” he said.

Six-nation aid-for-disarmament talks with North Korea, which were hosted by China, have in fact been stalled since 2009. The Obama administration refused to resume them unless the North re-committed to the goal of denuclearization, something it has shown little interest in doing.

Earlier Friday, Tillerson touched down by helicopter at Camp Bonifas, U.S.-led U.N. base about 400 meters (438 yards) from the Demilitarized Zone, a Cold War vestige created after the Korean War ended in 1953. He then moved to the truce village of Panmunjom inside the DMZ, a cluster of blue huts where the Korean War armistice was signed.

Tillerson is the latest in a parade of senior U.S. officials to have their photos taken at the border. But it was the first trip by the new Trump administration’s senior diplomat.

The DMZ, which is both a tourist trap and a potential flashpoint, is guarded on both sides with land mines, razor wire fence, tank traps and hundreds of thousands of combat-ready troops. More than a million mines are believed to be buried inside the DMZ. The Korean War ended with an armistice, not a peace treaty, which means the Korean Peninsula remains in a technical state of war.

Talk to us

More in Local News

Construction crews demolish public housing  homes at the Baker Heights in Everett’s Delta Neighborhood on Tuesday, June 8, 2021 in Everett, Washington.  (Chuck Taylor / The Herald)
Baker Heights site no longer on the table for WSU expansion

As demolition proceeds, it’s unclear what the Everett Housing Authority will do with roughly 10 acres.

Rick Steves has supported a number of local projects with donations of $1 million or more.  (Dan Bates / The Herald)
Travel guru Rick Steves will be Edmonds parade grand marshal

The Edmonds Chamber was finally able to honor the native son now that the pandemic is keeping him home.

Detectives investigate killing of woman, 23, in Smokey Point

She had “obvious signs of trauma,” according to the sheriff’s office. A 25-year-old man was arrested.

Woman injured after shooting at south Everett 7-Eleven

She was taken to a hospital and was expected to survive. The suspects fled the scene.

Vandalism in Lake Stevens prompts city to install cameras

Park bathrooms have been the main targets. The mayor hopes surveillance and watchful citizens will be deterrents.

FILE - In this May 26, 2020, file photo, a sign at the headquarters for the Washington state Employment Security Department is shown at the Capitol in Olympia, Wash. Washington state's rush to get unemployment benefits to residents who lost jobs due to the coronavirus outbreak left it vulnerable to criminals who made off with hundreds of millions of dollars in fraudulent claims. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren, File)
State’s unemployment recipients must look for work after July 4

The change comes after Washington reported the third straight weekly decline in jobless claims.

One-time payments of $1,250 proposed for some county workers

Another proposal by County Executive Somers would boost hourly pay by $4 for grocery store workers.

Shinji Maeda steps out of his plane waving American and Japanese flags after completing his round-the-world tour that took him to 18 different countries on Friday, June 11, 2021 in Snohomish, Wa. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
After 22,000 miles and 18 countries, he landed in Snohomish

Partially blind Japanese native Shinji Maeda came to the U.S. to become an aviator. Then he toured the world.

Shawn Edge, left, Robert Guss, center, Robert Lee McCracken, right, try to locate on a cellphone where Shawn Edge and Charlie Cortez fell in the water on Friday, May 28, 2021 in Possession Sound, Wash. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Six months, and still no sign of Tulalip officer who drowned

Other officers and volunteers won’t stop searching for Charlie Cortez until they can bring closure for his family.

Most Read