U.S. bombs Fallujah sites

FALLUJAH, Iraq – U.S. warplanes dropped 500-pound laser-guided bombs and fired powerful airborne howitzers Wednesday at what military officials said were Sunni Muslim insurgents who had fired on Marines ringing this city.

The airstrikes in three different sections of Fallujah were the most aggressive American response to guerrilla attacks since U.S. commanders and Iraqi officials signed a cease-fire deal earlier this month.

With tensions on the rise, Marine commanders postponed plans to conduct joint patrols of the city today with Iraqi policemen and civil defense troops. The patrols, regarded as a key element of the cease-fire agreement, now are scheduled to begin Friday, a senior Marine officer said.

The delay was a setback to U.S. attempts to address the insurgent threat in Fallujah with methods other than a resumption of full-scale Marine raids. The patrols, which are to enter sections of Fallujah not under Marine control, are intended to embolden Iraqi forces to take the lead in controlling the city.

The decision to postpone the patrols came a few hours after fighter jets screeched over the flat, dusty city on bombing runs. Warplanes dropped 10 bombs on the southern end of the city, sending plumes of gray smoke billowing into the air. They also bombed the northeastern section of Fallujah and the northwestern district, known as Jolan, where insurgent activity has been particularly intense.

After insurgents fired on Marines near the city’s train station, located on the northern fringe, two AH-1W Super Cobra attack helicopters were summoned to the scene, and buzzed over northern Fallujah all afternoon. After dark, the helicopters were replaced by an AC-130 Spectre gunship, which pounded away at targets, with the thump-thump of its 105mm howitzer echoing across the darkened city.

The chief U.S. military spokesman in Baghdad, Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, insisted the cease-fire agreement reached April 19 was still in effect. He said that between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday afternoon, there were 11 violations of the cease-fire, including 10 attacks with small arms and one attack involving mortar fire.

Kimmitt said civic leaders who agreed to the cease-fire – with promises that they would compel insurgents to stop attacks and hand over their weapons – “have not delivered.” He emphasized that U.S. commanders “would like to be part of a nonmilitary solution,” but added that they were frustrated by the apparent inability of city negotiators to rein in the rebels or to identify those responsible for a Feb. 14 attack on a city police station and the March 31 killings of four American security contractors.

“They continue to tell us that they represent the people, but they don’t deliver,” Kimmitt said. “We don’t see the weapons. We don’t see the foreign fighters. We don’t see any intelligence suggesting who was involved in the attack on the police station in February nor the killing of the Blackwater contractors last month.”

In Washington, President Bush said, “There are pockets of resistance, and our military along with Iraqis will make sure it’s secure.” He also said, “Most of Fallujah is returning to normal.”

In southern Iraq, witnesses reported clashes Wednesday night near the town of Kufa, the base for militant cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, whose militia has fought U.S. troops off and on for the past three weeks. The conflict in Fallujah, predominantly inhabited by Sunni Muslims, has had a ripple effect in other towns in the Sunni Triangle that stretches north and west from Baghdad, U.S. military commanders said.

“Sunni opportunists and cells of Saddam loyalists” have tried to take advantage of the situation in Fallujah to foment unrest in towns such as Balad, Baqubah and Samarra, north of Baghdad, said Maj. Gen. John Batiste, commander of the 1st Infantry Division, which controls the north-central section of the country. Batiste spoke at a news conference in Tikrit, the home town of Saddam Hussein, on the day the former president turned 67.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Snohomish residents Barbara Bailey, right, and Beth Jarvis sit on a gate atop a levee on Bailey’s property on Monday, May 13, 2024, at Bailey Farm in Snohomish, Washington. Bailey is concerned the expansion of nearby Harvey Field Airport will lead to levee failures during future flood events due to a reduction of space for floodwater to safely go. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Harvey Field seeks to reroute runway in floodplain, faces new pushback

Snohomish farmers and neighbors worry the project will be disruptive and worsen flooding. Ownership advised people to “read the science.”

IAM District 751 machinists join the picket line to support Boeing firefighters during their lockout from the company on Thursday, May 16, 2024, in Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Amid lockout, Boeing, union firefighters return to bargaining table

The firefighters and the planemaker held limited negotiations this week: They plan to meet again Monday, but a lockout continues.

Pegasus, a 1929 Ford Model AA that once served as Everett Public Library’s bookmobile, is parked in the basement of the Everett Museum of History’s Colby building on Thursday, May 16, 2024, in downtown Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Cruzin’ to Colby has ‘100 years of cars’ showing off in downtown Everett

Last year, over 40,000 people came to the free event, a Memorial Day weekend tradition for nearly 25 years.

N3054V accident site. (Alaska State Trooper Photo)
Lake Stevens pilot, who lived ‘Alaska dream,’ died in Fairbanks crash

Former Snohomish County lawyer Harry “Ray” Secoy III, 63, worked as a DC-4 pilot in Alaska in the last years of his life.

Air and ground search and rescue teams found Jerry Riedinger’s plane near Humpback Mountain on Monday. (WSDOT photo)
Remains of pilot recovered near Snoqualmie Pass after Arlington flight

Jerry Riedinger never made it to Ephrata after departing the Arlington airport Sunday. Investigators have not determined the cause of the crash.

Federal prosecutors say the two men shown here outside the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, are Tucker Weston, left, and Jesse Watson. (U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia)
Lynnwood roommates sentenced for roles in Jan. 6 riot

Tucker Weston was given two years in prison Thursday. Jesse Watson received three years of probation in August 2023.

Pippin the Biewer Terrier sits in the lap of her owner Kathy West on Monday, May 20, 2024, at West’s home in Marysville, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Marysville’s ‘top dog,’ on 48-kibble-a-day diet, shines at Westminster

Fame hasn’t turned this Biewer Terrier’s head or nose: in her spare time she’s a lap dog, hiking buff and bunny chaser.

Lynnwood firm faces $790K in fines for improper asbestos handling

State regulators said this is the fifth time Seattle Asbestos of Washington violated “essential” safety measures.

A truck towing a travel trailer crashed into a home in the Esperance neighborhood Thursday, May 23, 2024, in Edmonds, Washington. (South County Fire)
Man seriously injured after his truck rolls into Edmonds home

One resident was inside the home in the 22500 block of 8th Avenue W, but wasn’t injured, fire officials said.

Ferry workers wait for cars to start loading onto the M/V Kitsap on Friday, Dec. 1, 2023 in Mukilteo, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
The Memorial Day holiday weekend travel nightmare is upon us

Going somewhere this weekend? You’ll have lots of company — 44 million new BFFs — on planes, trains and automobiles.

Bothell family says racism at Seattle Children’s led to teen’s death

In February 2021, Sahana Ramesh, the daughter of Indian immigrants, died after months of suffering from a rare disease.

Boeing Firefighters and supporters have a camp set up outside of Boeing on Airport Road as the company’s lockout of union firefighters approaches two weeks on Thursday, May 16, 2024, in Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Union firefighters reject Boeing’s latest contract offer

The union’s 125 firefighters on Wednesday overwhelmingly rejected the offer, which included “an improved wage growth” schedule

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.