The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Suspect in two 1995 killings has long history of stalking

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
By Scott North
Herald Writer
A Snohomish County man suspected in two 1995 killings has a long history of stalking women, records show.
Danny Ross Giles has been in prison since 2005 after being convicted of exposing himself to two college-aged women in Seattle's University District. His history as a convicted sex offender led to felony charges, otherwise he would have faced a misdemeanor.
Giles grew up south of Everett. When not locked up, he has spent much of his life in Lynnwood and Mountlake Terrace, taking jobs working under the table in landscaping and construction.
Giles earned his first felony conviction before turning 14. Police at the time caught him breaking into homes and peeping through windows at women. He also was arrested for riding his bike through a Lynnwood park and groping women.
In 1987, at 19, he was convicted of second-degree rape. Before the attack, Giles spent weeks prowling the exercise room at a Lynnwood apartment complex. At the time he was living in his car, but he used the weight room as if he belonged there. He began peeping at women when they went into an adjacent room and undressed to use a tanning bed. Giles sexually assaulted one of the women while she was inside the machine. He had been carrying a knife, according to police reports.
Giles also had a knife in 2001 when a 16-year-old girl at a Shoreline tanning salon discovered Giles in the room, crouched down and looking at her. She screamed. Giles fled and was tracked down by police. The salon owner said Giles had visited the business in the days before and left after his behavior raised suspicions.
Over the years, Giles also has racked up convictions for theft and attempting to elude police. He likes to travel by bicycle, detectives learned. In 1994, Giles more than once rode his bicycle from Lynnwood to Bellevue, where he prowled a health club, using the weight equipment and trying to pass himself off as a member. Staff were suspicious when they found him seated in the sauna, fully clothed. One caught him breaking into lockers. Giles ran, but was captured by one of the staff. He confessed to police and turned over items he'd taken from the club in earlier visits.
Giles pleaded guilty to the Bellevue health club burglary in February 1995. He was facing prison time, but was able to post bail in King County Superior Court and remain free. He didn't show up for sentencing in March of that year. An arrest warrant was issued, but Giles evaded police detection for eight months.
It was during that time that Tracey Brazzel disappeared and Patti Berry was killed.
Everett police caught up with Giles on Nov. 11, 1995, near the mall, about a half mile from where Berry's body had been found months before. He was living with his mother in an apartment off 204th Street SW, less than five miles from Brazzel's apartment and about six miles from where Berry's car was found. He'd previously lived closer to Brazzel, said Jim Scharf, the cold-case detective who has been spearheading the investigations of the Berry and Brazzel cases for the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office. Investigators also learned that he'd visited a pawn shop across the street from Brazzel's apartment in 1994 and 1995.
Story tags » HomicideSnohomish County

More Local News Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates